Digital DPM Combats

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by TheSpecialOne, Dec 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if the UK are going to introduce a digital DPM combat uniform?
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I understand the DPM is being re-assessed somewhere by someone as part of some plan or other sometime in the future.
  3. I say why bother. British DPM is almost an institution. I've not seen any evidence that shows our DPM is being deficient. Is it just a fad? It's a conspiracy by Jay-Jay's and Troopers! If we get new DPM then we'll have to get all our new kit tailored as well! They'll be brazillionaires!

T C
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I have seen better than Brit. Many many years ago I was fcking about with some US Rangers in their (now old) Woodland pattern in Wales and their cam worked, to my nationalistic disappointment, better than our DPM..

I hoped that ours worked better in central Germany.

That said, I am unconvinced that ours can be significantly improved with current technology.. maybe a 5 or 10% increase (I would put woodland as about 20% better) in that situation and at that time.
  5. Was this thread done before? That story sounds familiar!

Is there not some mind trickery involved with this as well. Our brains become accustomed to picking out DPM or some bollocks?

Just thinking now, is there a market for a decent urban DPM? Dessert DPM seems ok in Iraq but what about a non desert urban area? I saw that the RM snipers in Bosnia made their own urban ghillie suits that were all blue and grey and looked quite good.

T C
  6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

The best urban cam I ever saw was in the Phillipines during the revolution. 2 x Sherman tanks driving up the main drag in urban cam (same or similar to our Berlin urban cam).

They were quite clear with the road as a backdrop but as they approached the crest of a hill (with Manila as the backdrop) they basically disappeared.

Very impressive.

Apart from ASAT the only urban cam I remember seeing was these guy's:

ASAT (all season all terrain) was the 80's name for what the US army has now gone for. Though I dare say their consultants have a cooler (All Amerinca) name for it.
  7. Its being looked at as part of PECOC. ITDU were doing some initial troop trials today with some new potential colours. Its not drastically different as the stuff we have is not that bad. Seems like we will stick to two cams, desert and woodland, but modify the visual colours a bit but make the serious advances on the IRR dyes.

The yank colours were also being looked at, its an 'average' of the different environments which means that it does not work anywhere it seems. Yanks are complaining and its days maybe numbered. Digitisation is also a hot topic. Not because its any good but because PECOC needs to collect enough evidence to disprove those who like it because they think its the 'future'.

Urban cam is being looked at by Dstl as part of the NATO urban cam study. This stuff is seriously barking mad with colours and pattern that only a scientist could love. The last time I went an update briefing the boffins had spent months forming the conclusion that dark suits work well on a dark background but seem to fail when placed against a light one!
    Ahh the benefits of a University education.
  8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

10. The old Swiss pattern with the red in it is great at breaking up outline, but at less than about 20 yards it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I used to have a walty picture of me wearing it on the Internet somewhere, but I can't find it...
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

3rd or 4th set in ten years? Is the issue with the USMC or Army or both? Bearing in mind they're slightly different cams.

It struck me as a no-advantage style and I wondered why it existed. At more than 3m the digi effect (5mm squares) dissapear so why have it at all?

Good news for designated roles / locations etc. Do we have to wear it in buildings and change to go outside!?!

Did you suggest reversable gear like the 80's yank night/day pattern?
  12. Sorry to be a spotter but that's not MARPAT is it? Isn't it ACU?
  13. Urban cam is an interesting one, I think the US experimented with it:
    Lots of big grey areas and straight lines which is a good idea, perhaps they should've put the occasional dull-red-brick bits in.

I suppose the greatest urban cam is the new American 'ACU' though, when I first saw a pic of it I thought are they planning to do ALL their fighting in cities in future then? I've not seen it in use but from photos I can't believe they're trogging round deserts in that stuff.

The whole idea of urban cam is a bit odd though, I mean how would you introduce it? Is there even a need to introduce it? You could make up a set of flame-retardent coveralls in urban cam and try to change before FIBUA, but why bother, would it help much, especially with so much other DPM kit around... You're more likely to survive from not leaning out of windows and using smoke than wearing a new uniform, so why worry about it?