Digital Camera repair

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by wompingwillow, Sep 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick background:

I have a Kodka easy share camera, have only had it about 5 months but due to a rather quick move I've lost the necessary proof of purchase that would be required to return it.

Problem is pretty basic, it switches on but as soon as I start to zoom it switches itself off. Anyone experienced a similar problem? Is digital camera repair worth it or shall I just start saving?

2. Have you tried doing the same action when using mains power, just thinking that the battery may be duff.

Jim

3. You seriously think anyone would be silly enough to give me a credit card!

Battery seems fine, its charged and discharged itself at a normal rate while this problem has been on going, it did used to zoom half way and then switch itself off.

4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

if it's less than £100, you'll probably get told it's not worth it. does it have any kind of reset button or function?

5. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

If it was sony the serial number would give you a repair at the least even without a recepit

Edited to add - have you tried calling kodak and checking if you need the recepit

6. You did not say if you used mains power so maybe I should ask the question again but a different way, does you camera have a socket to use a mains adapter and have you tried that? :)

Jim

7. About 4 years ago, when my son was stating university bought him a Kodak Easyshare C663. He loved it and the next year before I went to UK/Ireland I bought one for myself. Both ths son and I love the cameras and have gotten good use from them. Both of us have experienced the same problem you have when the battery was nearly flat or on it's last legs. Fresh battery and problem solved. We use CRV-3 batteries. I have given up on the rechargeables and and use disposable Lithium batteries. On ours, in a pinch you can use 2 AA cells instead.

Two minor problems I have had:
    During damp weather the cover that opens and closes over the lens when turning on/off sticks closed. Lightly brushing with you finger and no real force tends to release it.
    Transferring pics to computer: The camera comes with a cord to a USB port to transfer pics. If you do this the power to the chip and camera is coming from the battery and it positively EATS batteries. I bought a little chip/usb adapter for US$15 (Promaster SD card reader) and all the power is coming from the USB port and saving the camera battery.

also, don't take out the SD chip when the camera is powered up or you can lose your pics. I don't know if this would happen all the time but it happened to me once, I lost the pics of my Godchilds christening and I never took out the chip powered up again.

I love the little Kodak. I own an extremly good 35mm film camera that I have hardly used since I got the Kodak.

PS If a new battery does not help you could look into the battery compartment and very gently rub the contacts. I think the UK is almost as moist as my area (Boston) and there could be bit of crud there.

8. Hit it witha a hammer!

9. ONCE YOU HAVE EXPLORED ALL AVENUES OF GETTING RETAILER / MANUAFACTURER TO UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION OF LOSING THE RELEVANT PROOF OF PURCHASE (AND THEY DON'T HELP YOU) I SUGGEST THAT YOU BIN IT.
    IT WILL COST YOU AT LEAST £40.00 TO SEND IT TO THEM BY RETURN POST BEFORE THEY HAVE A LOOK AT IT AND THEN THERE IS THE COST OF THE PARTS AND REPAIR TO ADD ON TOP.
    IT WILL PROBABLY BE A SENSOR INSIDE THAT IS DONALD DUCKED (AND AFTER ALL THESE ITEMS ARE CERTAINLY NOT SQUADDIE PROOF)
    SO BY THE TIME THAT YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH THE RIGMAROLE OF COST, TIME ETC YOU COULD BUY A NEW ONE.

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

speaking of repairs, is your keyboard broken IH?

11. No - he just likes inch high print!

12. Not basic mate.

You either have a bit of grit in the lens that stops it from zooming out, or you have accidentally turned it on, whilst in your pocket/camera bag and jammed the gearing.

The receipt is probably irrelevant, as this is not usually covered in the warrenty.

Search for info on the camera, but my guess is, if you have tried NEW batteries, and turning the screan off (for a bit of umph), or a direct link to mains if you have one.

Likewise, try blowing any dust out or moving it with a sparkplug gap gauge or tin foil.

Or bang the camera on to a softish surface (arm of a settee if cushioned (not a wood one :D )).

Other than that you are probably fcuked.

You are looking at a steep price (£50) just for sending it in, and then parts and labour.

Probalby as well to buy a new one.

13. When I was a boy there was a story that wanking would make you go blind. Maybe IH has a vision problem!!

14. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

If you've not got the receipt can you check your bank statement? If you've paid by debit card it will show up with the shops name on the transaction a few places will accept that as proof