Digital Camera for Op

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by compus_mentus, Aug 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Deploying soon. I want to buy a digital camera, reasonable resolution. I also want it to take short video clips with sound.

Any tips?

2. I like the Canon Ixus range - good lens, easy to use and the software on the pc is pretty good. The video is pretty good too, but you will eat memory (SD Cards)

Litotes

3. I would agree with the Canon Ixus range, although look at the 850i model (probably soon to be replaced) this has a much higher capacity battery than the Ixus 70 & 75 and also sports a wider angle lens.
    Also have a look at the Olympus SW 770 which is waterproof and shockproof although the battery is not of a high capacity.
    The Fuji F30, 3x zoom and all the normal features but has a battery capacity of 1800 Ma which is more than twice that of most cameras.
    If price is not too much of an issue the Canon G7 is top of the tree with all the features you could ever want.

4. Pick one with AA rechargeble batteries, rather than one with a dedicated battery pack. Get some high capacity batteries >2100 mAh and a fast charger that will take 4 batteries at a time. There are some good deals on the internet, often to the extent that the charger is effectively free.

5. Actually 2700mAH are very much the norm now but the very latest in rechargeables are "synergy" which come fully charged but are only 2100mAH.
    If you have a camera with a Lithium battery and the mAH is 1000 or over it will generally out perform most rechargable AA batterys in the market today.

6. :D batteries very important, good notes from Henry_Tombs as above. buy a book on the subject of digital cameras or read it all up on the net. For tough/sweaty/wet places Olympus SW770sw 7mp good, but if you want more zoom look at other makes dont get sold on digital zoom it not the bees knees. OPTICAL ZOOM is the way to go so its a balance of all the bits you would like or need and cost. Things like cards, handling ,some are a bit small, go to a good retailer and pick their brains but dont buy first time go home and check out you pros and cons list you should have made before you buy, remember what software is available for your use on P.C. dose it come with all the bits you need or are they extra? Good luck. :D and do you homework :?

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Seconded. These are tiny little cameras that take fantastic pictures, and they have low consumption too.

Make sure that you grab 3 or 4 2gb memory cards if you can get them. You'll be surprised at how quickly you can fill them.

8. Just bought a Fuji Finepix 800 as an emergency on-hols replacement - Jessops were doing them for £90 (then another tenner off voucher thing and buy one get one half price on the mem cards). Might well be an end of line blowout but if you haven't got the budget for Canon the features seem OK, the Video is pretty good. I don't like not having a viewfinder and it's a bit battery hungry but does the job AND it will take SD and XD mem cards so if you've got some old cards you won't have to bin them. Bigger than the Canon though. WRT to robustness my old Fuji took a fair number of knocks before dying - but LCD screens are always vulnerable although I think you can get a dinky little flip up cover.

(OK I really wanted the Canon but I'm poor)

9. If you're after a decent camera, I'd suggest the Lumnix Fz8. It's a good camera with a decent zoom. You can pick them up for about 180 quid online.

10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I presume you will have permission to take such pictures. Or can you take them providing you keep them hidden.

Batts and ability to charge/purchase could be biggest problem. Plus do not spend to much. As already said the old Fuji FinePix are good cheap and easy to use options. Wave your ID under the noses of Jessops and you might get a result.

Ooops that could be a breech of security, forget that.

11. Thanks for the advice, will look into all of these.

Next question - is there any facility to post SD cards back from theatre? Whilst this sounds all very strange, dodgy etc. I just want to take some (non-compromise) video of me talking to my kids - they're all under 5, so I don't think they'd be interested in Troop movements or War footage, more just face to camera 'vlog'stuff. Default option would be to get visitors/RnR to take it home for me.

12. I've just bought a Fuji S5700 (about 6 weeks ago), I believe Curries are doing them for £130 (I paid more than this a few weeks before they put them on sale). Good range of zoom (35-300mm), not too big, x10 optical zoom, 7.1 megapixel, video with sound and not too heavy on batteries. Pretty good playback screen as well. I've never used it it a sandy place, put it's a pretty good camera. Worth considering, and won't break the bank if it goes t1ts -up.

13. Re: Camera - I used a Olympus Mju Mini S in a compatible waterproof (and hence, dustproof) case. A case is vital so stop the talcum powder like dust getting into the working bits. In the end though, I did have to send the camera back to the manufacturer for a dig out, but it was under warranty, so no charge.
    When looking for a camera, ignore anything about digital zoom - it's wnak. Optical zoom is what you are looking for. 3x is ok, anything more is great.
    Can you wait until you are in theatre to purchase? Amazon will refund VAT on deliveries to BFPO in theatre...

Re: Video - If you have a digital camera, I'm assuming you'll have a laptop as well? Otherwise I guess you'll be stocking up on memory cards...
    If you have a laptop, the easiest thing to do would be to record video, burn onto a CD or DVD and post back through BFPO system. A mate did that regularly for his kids, and his missus would record them and post a CD back.

14. I'd recommend Canons as well - I've always had Ixus ones and they're absolutely superb.

If you want to be able to use AA batteries the Canon Powershot A-series take them.

15. Definitely get a Canon Ixus if you want video. Nothing else comes close (apart from a proper camcorder).