Diggers get to keep bayonets as weapons but not US Army

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jumpinjarhead, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. But....

2. They don't like it up 'em! No sir they don't.
  3. stupid, stupid, stupid............................

what about the need for a few extra inches of length when pushing open that dodgy door???

what about the intimidation factor when pushing around POWs and detainees???

and most important of all, what about the best deterrent ever to stop protesters and agitators from attemping to snach your weapon out of your hands during civil disturbance???

never mind the bonus of a extra barrel weight on the end to help stop recoil/muzzle flip, helps makes rifle more steady for quicker repeditive fire on target and it keeps the end out of the mud when you trip over on the assault.

ffs, theres a hundred and one uses of a bayonet before you might need it for smashing in someones face whilst reloading.

more to add later when I'm not getting yelled at for Arrseing when ment to be working

stupid stupid non-thinking basterds.
  4. I would of thought after a few Brits made the headlines with bayonet kills in 'stan, that they'd keep them. Maybe the new fangled SCAR's can't mount them, and someones feeling a bit butthurt over the issue!!
  5. For you kit junkies here is the USMC current version:

Attached Files:

6. Aint we complaining about not having enough bayonets left in the section?

7. I thought that said alligators, I was thinking wow alligators they wouldn't like the bayonet. I have just woke up though. :D
  8. We have its NSN someone get onto stores! :twisted:
  9. In typical USMC fashion (like on our combat uniform, boots etc.) we have our corps badge mo(u)lded into the grip so it may not be in your system! Such embedded "provenance" makes for more valuable trading!
  10. I am all for krag mava and improvised close combat sh1t. Any edge is good edge. however the point of doing away with bayonet training eludes me. (point, edge, see what I did there!)

The IDf teaches unarmed combat to a very high standard but also continues to teach bayonet fighting. So, why increasing one means leaving out the other I don't know. Haven't these people ever seen Zulu FFS!?
  11. What is it with you chaps showing the two fingers to the rest of the US military? :p
  12. I don't follow--Septic remember. I know we are accused of using one finger a lot but two? :D
  13. Purely an Anglo Saxon thing...but the sentiments are similar.
  14. The British Army used them to good effect in Iraq in 2004 see below

Published: 17 May 2004
    OUTNUMBERED British soldiers killed 35 Iraqi attackers in the Army’s first bayonet charge since the Falklands War 22 years ago.

The fearless Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stormed rebel positions after being ambushed and pinned down.

Despite being outnumbered five to one, they suffered only three minor wounds in the hand-to-hand fighting near the city of Amara.

The battle erupted after Land Rovers carrying 20 Argylls came under attack on a highway.

After radioing for back-up, they fixed bayonets and charged at 100 rebels using tactics learned in drills.

When the fighting ended bodies lay all over the highway ? and more were floating in a nearby river. Nine rebels were captured.

An Army spokesman said: “This was an intense engagement.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article88661.ece#ixzz0jfsletcb

The Iraqi's certainly didn't like it up 'em, well done the Jocks :salut: