Dig in or Deploy?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by EX_STAB, Aug 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I did this first time around back in the late 80's early 90's we used to carry a full size shovel or pick as part of our CEFO so we could dig in on the objective before we got hit with the enemy's FPF.
    This was phased out in favour of the folding entrenching tool that is the functional equivalent of the one carried during the Second World War.

In my TA Inf unit now I seem to be the only person who actually carries an ET on my belt kit. Others either don't bother or put it in the bergan.

Now it strikes me that although it's not massively important for COIN ops the ET is a pretty important bit of kit for conventional infantry work and should be carried as standard on CEFO

Thoughts on this?
  2. Stow it according to preference, yours or that of your superior officer. Options range from having it 'at the ready' in your hands at all times and secured to your person by a lanyard to leaving it in an MFO box in your in-laws garage. You decide.
  3. For a while we where told to carry it everywhere on our belt kit. If I rememeber correctly the pouch was a semi hard plastic sheath affair. For someone like myself, a racing snake, it meant that my belt kit did not fit as I had to lengthen my belt.

As time went on it was realised that most folk had the pouch but ditched the ET at the earliest oppurtunity so we were allowed to remove them and carry in our Bergens if needed.

Really does seem to depend on which unit you are with and how much experience of the field the powers that dictate what you take have.

Ahhh..this is the thing..horrible..then that went in a dpm pouch...

Attached Files:

• 0272.jpg
      File size:
      60.6 KB
  4. I hate digging, me. Makes my hands really sore and my back hurt.
  5. Pouch used mainly for extra water bottle?
  6. it is indeed but digging a shell scrape with one could be a challenge!

What I'm driving at is: "Is digging in now irrelevant?"

I can't see that it is as long as any enemy has anything from mortars upwards...
  7. Do you fit it to the left or right of your CBRN haversack?
  8. Do you have a point?
  9. If people really needed it I'm sure they'd carry it.
  10. its too small to dig with all its good for is clearing branches from the track plan, and any wat sections get issued proper shovels and picks that are carried with the bergans.
  11. meant to say way not wat, oops.
  12. Ditch in favour of extra water or ammo
  13. Yep; and you've made it well enough.
  14. ditch it and wait till you section kit is being handed out and end up with a shovel or pick etc etc with regards to clearing tracks. I could never understand whilst we do this when in a rifle company, loads of ground sign to let the enemy know were you have been, how big your area was, loads of noise stabbing away at branches etc
    Once had a TA plt sgt tell me how important it was and how he enjoys seeing a perfect track around his position, to me its better to leave no sign and let the lads get some extra gonk time
  15. Except that when moving from the stag position to your pit ( or vice versa ) you'll have no idea where the track is, where either position is and you'll blind yourself when you walk into a branch.

So, you'll be lost, blinded and screaming with pain as you traipse around the ulu.

Bloody TA, what do they know?