Difficulty with Job Role

Hello all,

I’m very new to this forum. I have just completed the assessment centre very recently finished with a pass for all roles incl the technical test (besides paras). I had Artillery as first option and Infantry as second, my start date is sometime next year. What appealed to me was the ability to join the paras through the RHA and possibly, if performed well, end up somewhere like special observers. But the more and more I read, i realise i want a more frontline job that may be more physically demanding but with possible good goals to aim for and often deployment. If any of you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also please let me know if i’ve been misinformed in anything I said.

Hello all,

I’m very new to this forum. I have just completed the assessment centre very recently finished with a pass for all roles incl the technical test (besides paras). I had Artillery as first option and Infantry as second, my start date is sometime next year. What appealed to me was the ability to join the paras through the RHA and possibly, if performed well, end up somewhere like special observers. But the more and more I read, i realise i want a more frontline job that may be more physically demanding but with possible good goals to aim for and often deployment. If any of you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also please let me know if i’ve been misinformed in anything I said.
Bear in mind that if you go the RA route and end up at 7th Parachute Regiment RHA, then you will not be in the Paras, you will still be a Gunner that is parachute trained.

I suspect that nobody can really tell you what you feel is best for you, as if being an infanteer is really what you want to do then go for it.

Having said that, if I was in your position, i'd personally choose the RA option for the reason that it can offer multiple options like 7 RHA for parachuting, 29 CDO if you feel a commando role interests you, with plenty of other options too.

Like I said though, it really is down to what you really want to do.

Bear in mind that if you go the RA route and end up at 7th Parachute Regiment RHA, then you will not be in the Paras, you will still be a Gunner that is parachute trained.

I suspect that nobody can really tell you what you feel is best for you, as if being an infanteer is really what you want to do then go for it.

Having said that, if I was in your position, i'd personally choose the RA option for the reason that it can offer multiple options like 7 RHA for parachuting, 29 CDO if you feel a commando role interests you, with plenty of other options too.

Like I said though, it really is down to what you really want to do.
Commando and RHA are frontline too aren’t they? also i thought infantry were parachute trained at some point

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Commando and RHA are frontline too aren’t they? also i thought infantry were parachute trained at some point
If you want to be in the infantry and parachute, then the Parachute Regiment is where you should be aiming. The clue's in the name.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yeah that’s fair, I only got a 9.2 bleep though as compared to the 11 standard for the paras
It's a digital question. IF you want to be a paratrooper THEN you must work on your fitness.

I think you'll find that the CIC - the basic infantry course - is pretty demanding in terms of fitness and you'd be well advised to work on that, whatever.

Edited to add - also bear in mind that non-Parachute Regiment parachute, special OP, Commando and the like, roles are also highly fitness-demanding. in some cases in excess of the basic Parachute Regiment requirement.

Only the Parachute Regiment are parachute trained as a required part of their training to join a PARA battalion.

Soldiers in other capbadges can apply to be loaded onto P Coy if they are going to a unit that requires parachute training like the Guards Para Platoon, 7th Parachute Regiment RHA, 23 Parachute Regiment RE, Pathfinders etc.

Other infantry regiments do not have parachute training or a requirement for it.

Last edited:

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hello all,

I think you're approaching this the wrong way around. It seems pretty clear from what you have posted that you want to join the paras. But you also seem to have taken a "I'll do my assessment and see what I get" approach, and and are now trying to fit your aspiration to your score.

The right way around is to take what is known in the military as a 'condor moment' (a moment to pause and think), work out what your goal is, and then put the work in to achieve that. If you want to join the infantry and parachute, then you want the paras. To do that, you'll have to improve your fitness. This might mean taking the AC again, but getting the right choice to start off with will be a whole lot better for you in the long term than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole for the rest of your career.

auggie rock

Old-Salt
If you're ultimate goal is some kind of back-door entry to the Paras because you're worried about your fitness then you're setting yourself up to fail. I would echo what others have said. That is, if you want to be a Para then become a Para but if you can only do a 9.2 on the bleep test you'll need to improve by quite some distance. It's not about reaching a bare minimum standard to scrape a pass on a given day, it's about being at an advanced level of fitness for your whole career.

Latest Threads