Different Types of Fitness

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by HantsTiger, Oct 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive been growing particularly frustrated in recent weeks with regards to how fit im getting. Since ive been doing a lot of what i would call 'military fitness' things, like tabbing, running with weight at a slow pace but for a long time, press ups etc. i thought id be pretty good at a spot of athletics. Turns out that my BPFA run time (9mins 6secs) is 'average' at a civvy athletic level, and that despite all the hard graft im still only slightly above average at the local athletics club.

In the same vein, I took some of my athletic freak friends out on a CFT and they were absolutely fooked after about 5 minutes walking.

What Im getting at is are there different types of fitness? I consider myself extremely comfortable on CFTs and the like and i never get worn out doing exercises but as soon as you get me running in mincy shorts and a t shirt i suck. Is there some sort of way to combine training for both areas? In a week I run 10k twice , do 5k and hill sprint training once , go for three two hour weights sessions, do two hours of swimming and a 12 mile CFT so im not slacking - is it just impossible to strike a good balance between conventional athletics and more 'trade specific' training?

2. yeah I'd say there civvy fitness and military fitness. I have no probs doing fibua excercises and long tabs, but tell me to run the 400m and I feel more knackered than I do after a 6 mile run