Different slant on mobilisation kit

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ssupersixfour, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the stock queries which crops up in this forum every few months is someone who has their papers but hasn't got to Chilwell yet asking what kit they should buy. The stock reply - which I am happy to abide by and, indeed, have passed on myself in the past - is 'don't, you get issued everything you need'.

I notice the kit list in the joining instructions now says to basically bring all the kit you've been issued.

This leads me to wonder...is there any point taking any of it to Chilwell in the first place? Could I in theory rock up with Mod 90, FMT600 and some spare undies in a bag and get everything else I might need issued on the spot?

I'm not saying I'm going to do this necessarily, just curious to see what everyone else's slant on this was.

2. I had the same problem back in Feb, was given at least the same weight again in sandy stuff, mosquito nets etc. However, as an IR I had time between my RTMC mob package and OPTAG to get home and off-load all the unnecessary green kit. If storage at home is a problem you can also store unwanted stuff in an ISO container at Chilwell pending your return.

In theory, you are only supposed to have a maximum of 45kg when you board the RAF aircraft for foreign climes.....

And tomorrow, after 100 days in AFG I get to go home and go through the sausage machine again in reverse. Yee ha !!!

Sorry, S64. Re-read your question. Most of my course wore greens for the duration and kept their sandy kit clean. Likewise, CBRN kit not provided by RTMC but needed for the chamber.

3. Given that regular reservists will turn up with just the spare undies, I think the system could cope.

4. True. Very true.