Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Different ranks, different cap badges

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
upload_2017-5-10_22-5-8.png

Was doing some reading on the local unit. The 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlands. (Caithness and Sutherland)
The motto was Sans Peur as the Argyll and Sutherland Highlands.

This capbadge was different from the traditional capbadge of the Seaforth Highlanders (a Stag).

It was originally the 1st Sutherland (Sutherland Highland) Volunteers Rifle Corps. But changed to 5th Seaforth in the Haldane reforms of 1908.

What is different from any capbadge I have seen before is that the different officer ranks had different badges. From the top of the strap are feathers. A single silver feather denotes a commissioned officer with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant or Lieutenant. A Captain had two feathers, a Major three and the Commanding Officer and Colonel had four feathers.

Any other examples of different badges for different ranks? Obviously there are differences between Officers and Other ranks in various regiments.

Is that not the Clan Chatten symbol.. "Touch not the cat, bot a glove"?

'a cat sejant guardant and erect' (although I admit it is difficult to tell at this distance!)

The Royal Hampshire Regiment used completely different cap badges for officers and other ranks. The first picture is the other ranks badge an the second the officer's badge. The RSM also wore the officer's pattern badge.

Attachments

• 10564821_549929895134245_953195634_n.jpg
    10564821_549929895134245_953195634_n.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 36
  • n734585854_1498157_2048.jpg
    n734585854_1498157_2048.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 31
Hate to be pendantic but I believe they were officially the 5th (Sutherland and Caithness) Bn. They also wore the Sutherland Tartan (No1A, same as the Argylls, but a different sporran) as opposed to the Mackenzie Pattern of the Seaforths.

Many Territorial Bns had odd excentricities of dress carried over from their Rifle Volunteer roots. Several Bns of line regiments styled themselves as Rifles and dressed accordingly (6th (Liverpool Rifles) Bn, The King's Regt to name one). I have a list,which I would have to dig out, of several Bns that used blackened or "bronzed" versions of their regular Regts badge.

Hate to be pendantic but I believe they were officially the 5th (Sutherland and Caithness) Bn. They also wore the Sutherland Tartan (No1A, same as the Argylls, but a different sporran) as opposed to the Mackenzie Pattern of the Seaforths.

Many Territorial Bns had odd excentricities of dress carried over from their Rifle Volunteer roots. Several Bns of line regiments styled themselves as Rifles and dressed accordingly (6th (Liverpool Rifles) Bn, The King's Regt to name one). I have a list,which I would have to dig out, of several Bns that used blackened or "bronzed" versions of their regular Regts badge.

Completely correct with title, my bad.

I am given to understand that the separate capbadge for the 5th (Sutherland and Caithness) Bn. was due to their antecedent Sutherland Volunteer Rifle Corps being entirely funded by Duke of Sutherland.

Is that not the Clan Chatten symbol.. "Touch not the cat, bot a glove"?

'a cat sejant guardant and erect' (although I admit it is difficult to tell at this distance!)

No it's the Clan Sutherland badge. Sans Peur, (Without Fear) Regiment originally raised by said Duke.