Different Method of Slinging the SA80? how?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by November_charlie, Jan 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've seen the infantry sling their rifle around the magazine catch but I can only see one side of the rifle in pictures, can anyone tell me how to sling it this way?

Seen on the SA80 with ACOG and picattinny rails.

Attached Files:

2. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

It's just a way of stowing the slack in the sling to keep it out of the way. Never bothered myself.
  3. Attach sling as per normal.and with muzzle pointing to the left, extend the sling to the right, so it goes beyond the butt.

Make a loop from the sling, and fold it back until you can loop it around the magazine housing. You then need to tighten the sling to keep it snug.
  4. It doesn't seem to be slung through the loop on the for grip though? But more and more people are going for bungee slings now... the standard method isn't great when prone.
  5. Thanks a lot mate, helps a lot.
  6. When on tour I use it, but for range days/small exercises I hate the ******* thing, and avoid it wherever possible. Trying to get a natural firing position during an APWT is near impossible when you keep having to clip/unclip it for prone, kneeling unsupported, etc. I've found my range days to be that bit more relaxed without it.
  7. The 'in-theatre' method is a short strap which replaces the sling and attaches to the right shoulder of the osprey by means of a clip similar to those on the bergen.
  8. I found that the carrying (clipped) length was just right for locking the weapon into my shoulder for kneeling/standing unsupported position. However, alternating between the varying positions was a nause, so I ditched the sling altogether. It's purely a comfort thing; my shooting hasn't been affected at all since I ditched it.