Different Charities

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Ugleebugga, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don’t want to appear to be a dopey retard…yeah, yeah, I know..too late…but could some kind soul explain to me all the charities and organisations “connected” to supporting serving and former armed forces personnel…in nice easy to understand language if you please?…
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. Thanks for the info…but “Christ Almighty” I count 80 groups, no wonder I’m confused.

I like a simple life. For instance, as far as I know, there is one “charity/welfare” organisation for Fire Service personnel, The Benevolent fund, or whatever it’s “modern” name is.

If I feel like giving to the Fire-fighters cause..it’s easy.. it all goes into the same pot. Not that I would, bunch of lazy, work-shy, good-for-nothings….

What on earth happens with 80 organisations chasing the public’s good will? It must be hugely inefficient and costly? 80 sets of admin duties?

Can anyone explain the rationale behind it to me?
  4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Not quite. If, for instance, there were no Regimental/Corps benevolent Funds the staff as the ABF dealing with benevolence would have to increase enormously, there are currently three. In effect they have spread their work to satellite offices.
    All those offices though rely on SSAFA and to a lesser extent TRBL to do their casework for them. Without the SSAFA volunteers the whole service benevolent system would grind to halt.
    To compare with the likes of the Fire Service is a tad unfair, the numbers entitled to assistance from service charities are in the millions.
  5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

And of course there are a number of conning walting cnuts like Alec Webster of PTSD WORLDWIDE who are trying to con the public out of a few bob
  6. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

There in lies loads of problems.
    The mainstream charities cover every eventuality & yet we constantly see people with a 'good idea' trying to found a new one.
    If only they looked they would find that the service they want to offer is already there & those long established charities would be very grateful for extra assistance.
  7. Oldy,

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate my comparison with the Fire Servant Benevolent Fund was weak. However it is the principle that I am referring to. They have Central office and each area, indeed most stations, have a representative who does the donkey work, usually with the blessing of the station management. You have a problem, or are aware of a colleague or ex colleague with a problem, you approach your rep. who, in turn approaches “central office”. Likewise all local charity events, donations etc are funnelled the reverse direction to the “central office”.
    It certainly removes any confusion, such as the discussions on the other thread, of who a particular fund-raiser is raising funds for.
    I’m quite happy to put my hand in my pocket and sponsor someone with three clear provisos.

1) The event has to be arduous and challenging to the participant. I would prefer to sponsor a relatively unfit person to walk 20 miles in a day rather than someone riding a motorbike from Lands End to John O’Groats.

2) My sponsorship must go to the cause and I mean all of my sponsorship.

3) I must be clear what that cause is.

Just my views from the outside…

Cheers, Uglee.
  8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Ugglee, the way you describe is the way it works for service charities as well.
    When you buy your poppy, the monies are collected locally & passed back to TRBL HQ. Each county office then has access to those funds for their benevolence work. Likewise money collected locally for ABF, Combat Stress, Blesma, St Dunstans etc is all passed back & used where there is a need.
    The forces charities could not use the Welfare Officer of military units to do the casework though because of the sheer volume. Indeed quite often a unit will approach the volunteers of SSAFA to help them with cases.
  9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Ever since it came out that the Parry's of H4H were paying them selves about the same amount as the top people in the RBL a number of these supposed Charitys have shown up with very questionable people running them, Its a bit like those Mathews w@nkers trying to get cash by climbing on the Maddie Mc cann bandwagon, and a lot of well meaning nonmilitary people are completely taken in by them, Ill just stick to collecting for the RBL and Hols 4 Heros I think
  10. Number 1 - why?

Why does it have to be some made up strenous event?
    Can you not just give your money to the charity directly?
    Why does some poor sod have to sweat and hurt just to prise a couple of quid out of you? Some beggar in the street who will be spending the cash on booze and smokes is one thing but an organised legitimate charity that you are sure will be using the money for the good of whoever, why not just give them the money?

Never have understood the reasoning behind the sponsered walk/run/wearing an tutu drive etc etc.

If you want to give to charity then just give. Or is it that you think that you have to get something for your money?
  11. Because it shows commitment. Having a “holiday” in the name of charity does not. I do support charities directly as well, but if someone wants even more of my hard earned money..and don’t forget there are an awful lot of deserving causes out there… then those who show the most commitment to what they believe in are far more likely to attract my limited supply of cash. I’m sorry if you don’t “get it”, but that’s just the way I see it.

Cheers, Uglee.
  12. So the "commitment" shown by the volunteers is more important than the need of the recipients then?

I know there are countless charities all trying to get you to donate and the more publicity they can drum up the better but the whole sponsered pointless event thing is a bit twisted when you look at it closely.

My charitiable disposable income goes via DD to a couple of charities that I support and just because someone decides to do the London marathon while hopping backwards dressed as a giraffe won't change that.

I just find it strange that you have to have your pound of flesh before you donate.
  13. That's one way of looking at it. In my day-to-day life I receive a lot of request for "sponsorship" or charitable donations most of them from worthy causes. I am not made of money so have to have someway of deciding which to support. It can't be by need of the recipients, because could you honestly say who is “more needy” out of say, battered women and children at a local refuge, young burns victim at the local hospital, or an amputee soldier at Selly Oak? I need something to help me decide. For that I look to the passion and commitment of the collectors. What other choice do I have, with limited funds?

Cheers, Uglee.
  14. What do you do if your sponsered person fails to complete the "arduous and challenging" task?

Do you then refuse to give the money? If not then why not just give the donation in the first place and save the poor unfortunate the pain and stress.

Of course if you do then withhold your payment (can't call it a donation) why does the charity have to suffer because of something outside its control?
  15. I have given you my perfectly valid reasons (in my opinion) of how I make a choice who to donate to and all you appear to want, is to try to be confrontational because my view does not fit in with yours. Stick with your method and I’ll stick with mine.

Cheers, Uglee