Different camouflage for each arm of service?

The Americans have, as I'm sure you're all aware dropped their old BDU's in Woodland and Desert, and instead brought in different types of camouflage for each arm of service.

The Marines have Marpat in both desert and woodland versions.

The Army has ACU for all types of terrain:

The Navy have their new camouflage uniform (Man overboard! Where?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/New_US_navy_Working_Uniform.jpg

And the Air Force have their ABU:

I can understand that this may reinforce 'esprit de corps', but it must increase the chances of blue on blue engagements, and could also have OPSEC considerations.

What are your opinions? Should we introduce something similar in the UK?

T_T

I think there are better ways of spending our money right now...

What a waste of money.

I think they way it is at the moment doesn't even make sense.

We should have a one size fits all uniform across the board. As far as I am aware RAF and RN have no reason to wear blue so why not save money and get everyone in green kit.

One Contract, One company - Job Done!

No way! UK DPM is an institution! And anyway... apart from Mar-Pat US cam is shite untill you've dragged it around the ulu for a week.

T C

I tell you what - what about green or khaki for the Army, dark blue for the Navy and civvies for the RAF? Back to normal.

If we're actually in a combat zone, let's wear the best camouflage for that theatre which the Treasury will allow MOD to purchase.

Bad_Crow said:
What a waste of money.

We should have a one size fits all uniform across the board. As far as I am aware RAF and RN have no reason to wear blue so why not save money and get everyone in green kit.

Given that I (6ft and 14 stone) was issued the same size smock as some Jockanese dwarf (4ft 6 and 6 stone wringing wet), I understand this already happens.

We (RAuxAF) were nothing but green unless on ceremonials etc. so I think this is a moot point.

freedomman said:
Bad_Crow said:
What a waste of money.

Given that I (6ft and 14 stone) was issued the same size smock as some Jockanese dwarf (4ft 6 and 6 stone wringing wet), I understand this already happens.

We (RAuxAF) were nothing but green unless on ceremonials etc. so I think this is a moot point.
I'm sure you were aware that i Meant colour and was just using a well known phrase (ANTI WAH - OFF)

It makes alot of sense. Its cheaper, it allows for more stocks of each size so should be easier to get hold of jacket mans 220/290 and as and when the RN and RAF need to play in the mud on courses/tours they have already got equal scales of the kit needed!

I'd happily wear civvies to work everyday and leave the DPM for exercises / ranges etc!

Bad_Crow said:
What a waste of money.

As far as I am aware RAF and RN have no reason to wear blue so why not save money and get everyone in green kit.

speaking as a crab, I compleatly agrea with the above.

Hmmm why have the US decided to do this? One of those images put up of new cammo showed USMC and an emblem as part of the new cammy pattern, so other services can't use it presumably?? Why are they worrying about image and copyrighting when blokes may be getting spotted/hurt easier because they have to wear ridiculous cammies because their sister services copyrighted the good stuff!!

Its got to be the most ridiculous concept there is, I mean it'd be easy to spot FACs working in an Army environment, and so easier to target them. Plus for the ordinary bods, those colours look more grey and blue than green or tan. What is the USA and USAF thinking? Same with naval medical teams supporting booties.

Naval cammo, why? What is the USN thinking? Clothing onboard ship needs to be flame retardent and 4's or AWD do this.

So keep AWD for the navy and CS95 for the Army, RM and RAF.

I know the RN (and presumably RAF) can get cheesed off with civvies thinking that everyone in DPM is Army or RM, but this isnt the right way to do it. We could clad whichever service in dayglo orange so everyone knows what service they belong to and they can get the appropriate 'PR', doesnt mean its a good idea and its bloody dangerous!

press_it said:
Bad_Crow said:
What a waste of money.

As far as I am aware RAF and RN have no reason to wear blue so why not save money and get everyone in green kit.

speaking as a crab, I compleatly agrea with the above.
But you have to wear your berets as well.

Just to help you out, this is the beret:

And this is were it is worn on the body.

Shortarm. You'll probably go to Hell for that but I see your point.

The reason for the Globe and Anchor in the Marpat stuff,IIRC, was to ensure that the squillons of money the USMC put into the design and developement of it was only o benifit to their guys. Since the budget they get is tiny when compared to the other services