Differences between RMAS dates

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Maverick00, Aug 11, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could any of the learned persons in this site tell me whether there's much difference between the type of people you get at the various RMAS intake dates? I heard the sept intake is full of army-mad types, jan is the overspill from that and May is generally older and more relaxed. Is this true or just hearsay?
  2. I don't have any first hand experience of this, but that is exactly what I have heard from numerous reliable sources.

Therefore I would assume that there is SOME element of truth in it, not that I think it should bother you in any way shape or form...
  3. The keenest always make it for the Sept entry, mainly because they all did RCB when they were in nappies. Go in Jan - Term Two (with the major exercises) is during the Summer, making it all the more bearable.
  4. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Absolutely spot on! Not wanting to generalise but... May intake by far the most chilled; September intake all thrusters.

5. 11D

11D Old-Salt

Sept - Uni grads and 18 Year olds fesh from school
    Jan - The left overs
    May - Ex rankers and grown up people + final ex in cyprus
  6. Out of interest where are the other final exs held? Aren't they meant to be foreign based...
  7. Sept intake also do the Sandhurst Cup.

They try to make final ex OSX - I started in a Sept intake and that crew went to Germany; got backtermed into a Jan intake, and we went to Cyprus. The May intake went to Scotland (almost OSX, I suppose!).

Of course, the Sept intake the following year went... to Barossa, thanks to Foot & Mouth!

8. Sorry to sabotage your thread Maverick, but I have an intake related query too.

What's the history / significance of the different company names within RMAS? Are the January intake given WW1 battles?

Not really important, but nice to know in advance. Could someone please explain......

9. I'm afraid there's no special significance - the company names are on a rotational basis, so when one Blenheim Company leaves, another arrives in the next intake. Some names get skipped completely in small intakes where there are only two companies worth of officer cadets.