Differences between FTRS and Mobilisation

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by DaBadger, Oct 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the 14th September I was asked when I would be available to be detached with a reg unit as I had agreed to do a tour. I said the following Monday. I received a call on the following Thursday giving all systems go and then a subsequent call giving me Tuesday as a date(yesterday).

I was all packed and ready to join my new battery that day, only to be told that the battery is away this week and that I will now be joining them on Monday. I wasn’t happy and to add insult to injury I am now expected to work at my TAC doing their donkey work for the rest of the week.

Today I have been told that I cannot be mobilised and that I will have to be sent as an FTRS instead. I have been given the impression that I will be allot worse off if I go as an FTRS.

What are the pros and cons between of a FTRS and a mobilisation?

Can someone please explain to me what this means to me in regards to benefits, pay, my bounties and paid leave ect.

Cheers.

2. msr

msr LE

When did you last mobilise?

msr

3. This would be my first mobilisation

4. I think you'll find that whoever is advising you is as confused as you are.

In order to be mobilised in support of the regular Army and go on Operations, you need to be compulsorily called up under the auspices of the Reserve Forces Act - this then ensures that you get paid properly, that you have access to the appropriate benefits and training, and that some protection is afforded to your civilian employment (note the use of the word 'some').

I may be wrong but I'm not sure that you can deploy under an FTRS engagement. You can take up an FTRS engagement to serve with a unit and then find yourself deployed after the event (in the event that the unit was deployed whilst you were serving), but that's different.

An extract from the FTRS FAQs may assist:

17. How does FTRS differ from mobilisation?

Mobilisation is authorised for specific theatres, to support specific operations, and has its own terms and conditions of service. In real terms all mobilisation is compulsory, although some personnel may have indicated a willingness to be mobilised. Mobilisation offer a gratuity and some measure of job protection, whilst FTRS offers none. FTRS is however for a fixed term that is clear from the commitment, this is normally between 6 and 12 months initially, and may be extended in the interests of the service to 42 months (the cumulative maximum that personnel can serve on FTRS). Mobilisation instructions do not have an end date, will normally be for 9 months, but this may be adjusted according to operational circumstances.

18. Can I still be mobilised whilst on FTRS?

Although serving with the Regular Army whilst on FTRS you still remain a reservist and as such can be called-out or recalled (mobilised). If serving on FTRS Full Commitment you are deployable world wide and as such there is no need for mobilisation as you can deploy with you unit or be offered up by that unit in response to a trawl as would be the case for a regular. If serving on FTRS Home or Limited Commitment the commitment is tied to a specific location so you could not be offered up against a trawl. In these circumstances you could be mobilised.

19. What happens to my FTRS commitment if I am mobilised?

If mobilised your FTRS commitment does not go in abeyance until your return. Your original End of Tour remains the same and you leave FTRS on the date on your original commitment. This date will, however, be extended to allow you to take any POTL and other leave which you may have accumulated whilst mobilised, although this will normally be all taken as part of the end of mobilisation package.

The link is:

http://www2.army.mod.uk/linkedfiles/servingsoldier/career/mcmdivs/ta/ftrs_guide/ftrs_faq.doc

Personally, I think you are being strung a line and you should stick out for proper mobilisation. If you don't go with this lot, there will be others.

5. FTRS – you get paid the same wage as your regular counterpart.

Mobilisation – you get paid whichever wage works out as higher, your current civvie wage or your regular counterparts wage.

FTRS can be a pro or a con depending on your personal circumstances.
    With mobilisation you're always a winner.

6. Firstly thanks for the replies.

The whole situation the process of me getting to this stage have been nothing less than confusing.

It was my SPSI who informed me and another bloke who is in the same position as me that we would now be going FTRS.

"Mobilisation offer a gratuity and some measure of job protection, whilst FTRS offers none."

I work with for Dad so job protection is not a problem although I have been turning down work this month in anticipation of this tour. I don't see why I should miss out on a mobilisation gratuity when other from my unit who are already where I should be will get one for the same work.

Also if you are FTRS are your bountys guaranteed to you for coming years as I am led to believe they are when you are mobilised.

What other deferences are there that I don't know about?

7. msr

msr LE

FTRS and mobilisation are two very different things.

I would recommend a chat with your Pl Comd and ask for an explanation as to why you cannot be mobilised.

msr

8. I am at my TAC at the moment, with my FTRS contract and it has been explained to me that I can sign or rip it up and not bother.

I have been told that the only difference to me, as I am not in full time work is that I will not get the £500 mobilisation bonus. This was brushed off with the remark that if im here for the money then in the wrong place.

I was also told to me that the tour will with training will be in excess of 11 1/2 months so I can not be mobilised for an excess of that time. Although I'm not buying it, I don't get why I can't be mobilised for longer as I am not asking for the employment protection that offers.

I have put my life on hold for the past two months waiting for this but at the same time I feel like I am being some what misled. I also don't want to be cutting my nose off to spite my face for the sake of £500.

Is that true that you can't be mobilised for longer that 11 1/5 months.

Another from my unit is already there, on a mobilisation. The explication I am given for this is that they are going to a different theatre and that they will leave 6-8 weeks before I would, they however were innately meant to be going to the same theatre as me and still was mobilised.

I am getting the impression that I should be grateful for the FTRS and stop questioning what I am being asked to sign.

9. msr

msr LE

Personally, I would rip it up, as you do not seem to understand what you are signing up for.

msr

10. I know what the tour entails where I would be going, admittedly none of that is in print. I want to go and I have made sacrifices over the last month leading up to this but no one can say to me what the differences are between the two.

I am on the brink of ripping it up but would that be for the sake of £500, if I do I will leave the battery.

My SPSI just seems to think I am being difficult, he has tried to explain to me that the only differences are:
    No Mobilisation bonus
    No employer protection (no needed)
    No time limit so I can go for longer than 11 1/2 months and the reason that I am being sent in this way.

I don't want to rip it up but I have been told I have to commit by 4pm today.

I don't see why a mobilisation can not last longer that 11 1.2 months if you don't require the employment protection.

11. Why don't you get yourself off up to RTMC in Chillwell?

FTRS or mobilisation you still should have gone through which you seem to have managed to avoid doing?

If you have gone through then get yourself off up there and they will sort all this out for you or call them.

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Because RFA96 allows for 12 months of mobilised service in 36 months. 11.5 months allows for a 2 week fudge factor, so if there is any form of delay there is scope for it to be absorbed. People can, and do, remain mobilised for medical reasons, but I have not heard of it for anything other than that.

The difference is primarily about money, as FTRS will only pay you the relevant army salary for your rank (standfast x factor considerations for HC and LC), whereas mobilisation will top that up to reflect your civillian salary.

If you don't need the employer protection, are ok about waiving the signing on bonus, and want to do the tour, I am not sure why you are getting so agitated?

13. msr

msr LE

What reason have you been given for not being mobilised?

How long is your FTRS contract for? I would read it very carefully before you sign, otherwise you may find yourself in the army for 2 years.

If you do not understand what you are signing, rip it up.

There are always trawls for mobilisation and you can get on another one easily enough.

msr
    P.S. It is your life you may be signing away, not your SPSI's

14. You can terminate an FTRS contract on 6 month's notice. No need to panic.

15. The reason I have been given is that:

a, Chillwell is booked up until may.
    b, the tour will exceed 11 1/2 months with the extra training required.

Maybe I am just getting too agitated over the simple loss of the bonus which I can live with although its a bitter pill to swallow.

I think I am just going to admit defeat and sign.