Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between 4/73 & 148?

newbie1810

Clanker
Looking at job choices after some experience in unit but can’t decide where to put down for unit choice and can’t get much info on differences between these except that 148 are commando and parachute trained am I wrong in thinking there both very similar jobs?

If so can anyone shed light on any other main differences I’ve seen they can both be used by brigade reconnaissance force. Both do surveillance and call in artillery etc anything else?

4/73 are (probably) dedicated to the Divisional Deep battle; 148 are part of the Future Commando force and will (probably) be part of the Brigade Advance Force.

Probably.

QRK2

LE
Looking at job choices after some experience in unit but can’t decide where to put down for unit choice and can’t get much info on differences between these except that 148 are commando and parachute trained am I wrong in thinking there both very similar jobs?

If so can anyone shed light on any other main differences I’ve seen they can both be used by brigade reconnaissance force. Both do surveillance and call in artillery etc anything else?

Simplistically: 148 get used, 4/73 came about to backfill a TA unit.

Slightly longer: 148 have a shortish but distinguished history of operational use, are an established and valued part of their Regiment and Brigade and pass courses that are widely recognised and respected across both the RN and Army. For good or ill 4/73 do not have any of these. Neither units are Forward Observers/FST/FOO in the traditional sense but they both have that capability. 148's primary role of directing Naval Gunfire Support is an established, valued and importantly (think defence reviews) unique skill, 4/73 compete for their 'role' with many others from formation recce to SF.

Both have high quality soldiers (only one has sailors).

Last edited:

newbie1810

Clanker

Slightly longer: 148 have a shortish but distinguished history of operational use, are an established and valued part of their Regiment and Brigade and pass courses that are widely recognised and respected across both the RN and Army. For good or ill 4/73 do not have any of these. Neither units are Forward Observers/FST/FOO in the traditional sense but they both have that capability. 148's primary role of directing Naval Gunfire Support is an established, valued and importantly (think defence reviews) unique skill, 4/73 compete for their 'role' with many others from formation recce to SF.

What do you mean compete for their role with many others from formation recce to SF?

QRK2

LE
What do you mean compete for their role with many others from formation recce to SF?

Look at this for an example.

Nothing they do is particularly unique (unlike 148 ), everyone from Inf Recce Pls up does OP work. They would argue that it's the combination of capacities they have that is their selling point, I'm not convinced. There is also the issue of profile, I am struggling to think of a Spec Obs officer who has Commanded or even risen above Maj, indeed for many years the BC was not Spec Obs qualified. Thus their capacity is not well understood across defence and I would say very vulnerable to cuts.

ETA Look at HERRICK, they started off with a significant role but this was very quickly transferred to RAC/Inf units and 4/73 were relegated to providing an FST to the BRF and another niche capacity that was never really used.

Last edited:

newbie1810

Clanker
Look at this for an example.

Nothing they do is particularly unique (unlike 148 ), everyone from Inf Recce Pls up does OP work. They would argue that it's the combination of capacities they have that is their selling point, I'm not convinced. There is also the issue of profile, I am struggling to think of a Spec Obs officer who has Commanded or even risen above Maj, indeed for many years the BC was not Spec Obs qualified. Thus their capacity is not well understood across defence and I would say very vulnerable to cuts.

ETA Look at HERRICK, they started off with a significant role but this was very quickly transferred to RAC/Inf units and 4/73 were relegated to providing an FST to the BRF and another niche capacity that was never really used.

So what is it 148 do then? It says they mainly support SF from n calling in naval gunfire and artillery?

QRK2

LE
So what is it 148 do then? It says they mainly support SF from n calling in naval gunfire and artillery?

Their key task and differentiator is to direct Naval Gunfire onto land targets, something that only they do and which is not about to go out of fashion, they can do normal FST stuff as well of course. Not necessarily SF, any significant amphibious operation would use them.

A lot of the detail has changed but this book is not a bad primer:

Amazon product

Their key task and differentiator is to direct Naval Gunfire onto land targets, something that only they do and which is not about to go out of fashion, they can do normal FST stuff as well of course. Not necessarily SF, any significant amphibious operation would use them.

A lot of the detail has changed but this book is not a bad primer:

Amazon product

Your link isn't showing for me at all. Is it Falklands Commando?

4/73 Bty were a known as 'Stay Behind Op's' in my time and had an important job if the balloon went up. 148 Bty had a different capability and is like saying that cloud punchers had the same job as bunnies.

Aren't 4/73 now part of the "Spec Recce" movement?

QRK2

LE
4/73 Bty were a known as 'Stay Behind Op's' in my time and had an important job if the balloon went up. 148 Bty had a different capability and is like saying that cloud punchers had the same job as bunnies.

They did indeed, bulking out a TA unit, but the IGB came down long ago and since retreating is no longer Plans A, B and C, SBOPs have lost some of their attractions.

Not sure that anyone's said that 148 and 4/73 are the same.

The main difference is that 148 are a lot more Ally than 4/73 as you will have parachute wings on one arm of your Para smock and the Commando Dagger on your other arm with a green lid on your noggin. This will make you far more attractive to the chicks. 4/73 are awarded an obscure badge on the completion of their course which nobody else in the military recognises. They also wear a khaki beret which is also worn by the Guards and most line Infantry units and was worn by the Royal Pioneer Corp when they existed.

148 are stationed in Poole close to the seaside, Bournmouth and other south coast resorts. 4/73 are stationed in Catterick, the Bulford and Tidworth of the North.

In 148 you learn 'Jack Speak' so if you go on a course with the rest of the army you get to impress them with your knowledge of an incomprehensible language with such phases as "going to the galley for some scran and a wet," "going for a run ashore" when you are actually in a barracks in the middle of the country. In the barracks you will talk about the deck, bulkheads and the heads and going on watch. You will be spinning some hoofing dits.

I don't know if it has changed but you had to complete AACC and be posted to 29 Commando Regiment RA at Plymouth before you were selected for service with 148. 4/73 recruit from all of the military.

Good luck in which ever you chose.

Last edited:

newbie1810

Clanker
The main difference is that 148 are a lot more Ally than 4/73 as you will have parachute wings on one arm of your Para smock and the Commando Dagger on your other arm with a green lid on your noggin. This will make you far more attractive to the chicks. 4/73 are awarded an obscure badge on the completion of their course which nobody else in the military recognises. They also wear a khaki beret which is also worn by the Guards and most line Infantry units and was worn by the Royal Pioneer Corp when they existed.

148 are stationed in Poole close to the seaside, Bournmouth and other south coast resorts. 4/73 are stationed in Catterick, the Bulford and Tidworth of the North.

In 148 you learn 'Jack Speak' so if you go on a course with the rest of the army you get to impress them with your knowledge of an incomprehensible language with such phases as "going to the galley for some scran and a wet," "going for a run ashore" when you are actually in a barracks in the middle of the country. In the barracks you will talk about the deck, bulkheads and the heads and going on watch. You will be spinning some hoofing dits.

I don't know if it has changed but you had to complete AACC and be posted to 29 Commando Regiment RA at Plymouth before you were selected for service with 148. 4/73 recruit from all of the military.

Good luck in which ever you chose.

Thanks for the info yeah you still need to pass AACC for 29 cdo before moving onto 148. Do what kind of role do 148 do when deployed then ? Is it reconnaissance and calling in gunfire ?

QRK2

LE
Thanks for the info yeah you still need to pass AACC for 29 cdo before moving onto 148.

Speak to the unit to get the current policy, it does change. A long time ago (last century) you had to do both AACC and AAPS for 148, but that has long gone.

Do what kind of role do 148 do when deployed then ? Is it reconnaissance and calling in gunfire ?

Yes

ETA to @par avion's excellent summary. 4/73 share their camp with some Gunners without guns and a Sapper regiment, 148 share theirs with, well, Poole.

Last edited:

newbie1810

Clanker
Speak to the unit to get the current policy, it does change. A long time ago (last century) you had to do both AACC and AAPS for 148, but that has long gone.

Yes

Cheers I’m off to larkhill on the 25th just no idea what’s going on covid wise with phase two

Cheers I’m off to larkhill on the 25th just no idea what’s going on covid wise with phase two
If I was in your shoes I would concentrate on getting super fit. Let it be known at Larkhill that you are interested in doing AACC and going to 29 if you pass. There will probably instructors from 29 at Larkhill talent spotting who will advise you.

If you pass AACC and move to Plymouth you will find out all about the role 148 do. Apparently it is as much technical as physical so you need to be quite bright. As with most things in life it is about having an ultimate goal but taking it a step at a time.

Everyone wants to be at the front of the pack in training, quite sure they won't be the biff struggling to keep up.

You won't know what your standard is until the pack sets off.

When you get a feel for your level of ability, you'll know how much work is required to meet your ambitions and who the people are who can help you achieve them.

Latest Threads