Difference in Editing Tools ?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by HHH, Sep 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HHH

HHH LE

Has the editing tools for PM's changed.

There is no option to attach images in PM, like there is in Reply.

Capture attach images - in reply.jpg

PM

Capture private message.jpg

Editted to add; the other attach image beside the insert video in PM's also only has the option to attach from a URL, unlike the Reply one has the two options of ,from URL or Computer.

2. HHH

HHH LE

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

VBulletin, that runs ARRSE, doesn't allow attachments in PMs. The reasoning seems to be to prevent abuse as the admins / other users would not be able to police what images are stored on the server or sent between users. That doesn't make a great deal of sense to me I admit, as Facebook, Picassa etc allow private albums and email clients allow attachments. Perhaps everything is visible to the fun police on those sites?

There may be modifications available to do it, but unless there is a good reason to allow this I'm not keen on modifying the site. VBulletin has been around for a long time and is fairly full-featured (we don't use quite a lot of it) and it strikes me that there can't be too much demand for this feature or it would be included. Can't you just send things by email or skype on the occasions when you need to?

I'm open to petitioning to look into this further if enough people want it, although I still have a decent mobile theme to crack which is probably higher priority.

I apologise that the point was ignored before.

4. HHH

HHH LE

Thanks, that makes sense, I thought I had a glitch.