Difference between WO & Officer

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Clone Trooper, Mar 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all.

I have a CO's interview tomorrow where I'm going to be asked this question. I have my own ideas but was wondering what others think?

Oh and its posted in here and not the NAAFI bar for a reason, please (vaguely) sensible answers!

Many thanks
  2. A WO is a bloke and the other is a chap!

However, good luck!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 0.0 are you for real?
  4. are newer members getting stupider and lazier ?
  5. Try something along the lines of: an Officer decides what is to be done and a Warrant Officers/SNCO makes the plan possible by allocating resources (including manpower).

I assume that your interview is a precursor to your being considered for an LE Commission? This being the case, you should probably consider the likely differences in the sort of leadership each is required to provide. Clearly this is likely to vary, depending on the arm or service of which you are part. I would recommend considering non-operational leadership as well as operational leadership; in particular what differences you see in leadership from a Sqn/Coy Sgt Maj or RSM compared to that from a Coy Comd/Sqn Ldr. In doing so focus on the officers and WOs you respect, rather than any who have not impressed.
  6. Why is asking a question stupid or lazy? Im not asking for an answer that I can take in per se and I have obviously thought about this and have fformed my own opinion. I was just canvassing others for theirs.

Sorry jvb, you of 4 months experience on here must obviously be an Oracle, the Mods must be quaking.........
  7. Actually its about 4 days well sober at least, Apologies Im jumping the gun alot today.
  8. Hmm. I'm going to get back to you on that one, just not tonight because I am incredibly tired and need a bath and it's not even my birthday, but something in that statement sounds inherently wrong. It might need a bit of reality in it without pushing it over the edge.

Yours aye, Dale T x
  9. Are you trying to be an Officer?
  10. Officers tend to look across and up from their span of responsibility; SNCOs tend to look across and down.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. An officer is someone who holds office...

So the captain of the golf club is an officer, but so are the cleaner and the barman.

In the army there are broadly two kinds of officer, comissioned officers and non comissioned officers (NCOs). The NCOs are further split up into Warrant Officers, Senior NCOs and Junior NCOs.

That should be enough to get you started on a bit of research of your own.
  12. I'm afraid that I was (badly) paraphrasing something a friend quoted to me the other day. The point was to articulate the difference in what is expected of an officer compared to a WO/SNCO, beyond merely the scale of command. The point was that officers should articulate intent, for more junior officers or NCOs to interpret and turn into action. I think there is also something inherently different in what is expected in terms of, particularly, operational leadership. The book 18 Platoon gives a far better insight than I can readily relate. Food for thought nothing more.
  13. If you are serving and you don't know then you should. If this is for an LE interview and you cant work it out yourself then don't rush out and buy your stars in advance. Ringdoby is right!
  14. I always found this a hard question to answer but a mate of mine gave me what i thought was quite a good expanation - which worked for me. A WO concentrates his mind on his Sqn whereas an officer (at least a junior one) would concentrate his on what the regt is doing as well as his sqn - basically, he has a broader perspective of what is going on around him that the WO doesn't need.

Is this true? I would say it is debatable but as an answer to such an arse question, it works and makes the asker believe you have thought about it.
  15. I would argue any decent officer (in a command appointment) should be as (or more) concerned with what goes on under his command. Officers who are more concerned with what their superiors think of them, than in what makes their soldiers tick (and unfortunately there are a few such types out there), tend to be pretty toxic.