Difference between SF jumps and BPC

This is an important topic. With the last worthwhile British Army operational jump (non SF because fcuk knows or cares what they get up) taking place 76 years ago, its a crucial capability. Right up there with tent-pegging, field gunning and that slightly weird thing they use to do at HMS Ganges.

So crucial I’m amazed that CDS hasn’t decided to disband the Paras and put the Rifles in to do the job properly.
There appears to be a number of armed forces throughout the world who have never deployed parachute troops at all but still maintain the capability.

Perhaps they're onto something.

OK I'll bite................. So you don't consider a 12 man mix of Paras, Rifles, RAOC, RCT falling away from three Scout helicopters in the Radfan, way back then or 16 Guards mix element parachuting onto the Musandam Peninsula less than 76 years ago hasn't caught the CDS's attention, albeit he may well have been making his way through Sandhurst in those years I'd surmise.
Doesn’t the Suez drop count?

This is an important topic. With the last worthwhile British Army operational jump (non SF because fcuk knows or cares what they get up) taking place 76 years ago, its a crucial capability. Right up there with tent-pegging, field gunning and that slightly weird thing they use to do at HMS Ganges.

So crucial I’m amazed that CDS hasn’t decided to disband the Paras and put the Rifles in to do the job properly.
Well since 1945 only two warships have been sunk by submarines. No cities have been nucked by submarines. Yet most Navies in the world continue to build and use Balistic Submarines, Nuclear Hunter-Killer and Diesel Submarines.

Perhaps get the CDS and the Rifles to look at that capability as well. Border Force need some more Cutters.

Ships sunk by Submarine since WW2

So you don't consider a 12 man mix of Paras, Rifles, RAOC, RCT falling away from three Scout helicopters in the Radfan...
12 jumpers from 3 Scouts? Were they stood on the skids? That sounds like a very hairy op.

There are many armies that retain mounted units.
And there used to be those that drop in, or swim in, then wander around a few hundreds miles just looking at stuff... but we've got specialized battalions full of robot operators to do that now.

And there are those sometimes mounted (on quads/atvs/4-wheelers) units that can just be dropped in, or those that will just use indigenous animals where they would be better adapted for the role after any theoretical drop.

Well since 1945 only two warships have been sunk by submarines. No cities have been nucked by submarines. Yet most Navies in the world continue to build and use Balistic Submarines, Nuclear Hunter-Killer and Diesel Submarines.

Perhaps get the CDS and the Rifles to look at that capability as well. Border Force need some more Cutters.

Ships sunk by Submarine since WW2
We are going the "littoral ship, For and possibly With not quite SEAL, littoral infantry sailors" route of deterrence. The "not quite" line of reasoning is mirrored on drier land with the Army's new not quite SF, Security Force Assistance Brigades.

Just because you're interested doesn't mean you get to know.

I'm interested in the contents of Michaela Strachen's underwear drawer - doesn't mean that I'm entitled to the information.
It still doesn't stop you parking outside her house night after night .

Well there are 140+ armies who have airborne forces, but how many retain horses for anything other than ceremonial duties?
Just the one I think. 61st Cavalry Regiment, Indian Army.

My money is on seeing a cavalry charge before we see the next green Army operational parachute drop.
140+ plus armies have airborne forces, and an unknown to you number of armies have operational horse units, yet you still think a cavalry charge is more likely than an operational green army parachute drop?

They clearly don't possess your unique insight into military matters.

Euclid

Old-Salt
140+ plus armies have airborne forces, and an unknown to you number of armies have operational horse units, yet you still think a cavalry charge is more likely than an operational green army parachute drop?

They clearly don't possess your unique insight into military matters.
My point is that neither are likely.

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
My point is that neither are likely.
The US and French armies have made numerous operational jumps in the past 30 years, several of which were regular airborne units and not SF. It’s still the quickest way to insert a large number of troops, particularly in Africa where choppers often don’t have sufficient range or payload.

Latest Threads