Difference between SF jumps and BPC

Ah, right. It was Pete who was making the Wally Gubbins movie and filmed it IIRC.

Couple of mates met with him to get a beer brand they were marketing onto Virgin aircraft. Not successful but both were deeply unimpressed.
You are thinking of Pete Reynolds. We were on the same 4-way team for the Nationals.

Slime

LE
I'm sorely tempted to put up the screen print of his original 'life history' post, only a particular Mod specifically asked me not to.

I found it perfectly believable having, by dint of my job at the time, come across a number of lower third* officer types who've banged out of the regular army at Capt and imagining that as they were A REGULAR OFFICER all sorts of reserve units would snap them up, desperate to make use of their massive experience and the leadership ability that can ONLY be gained by a year at RMAS. Most I interviewed disappeared when told they would effectively have to do a year in the ranks and a course and then they might be considered for an officer post, funnily enough a small but significant number seemed to end up in the LONDONS or PWRR. They also often seemed to have taken Harry Enfield's 'Tim Nice but Dim' as a role model.

* That's an assumption but it would be tragic if it were to be incorrect.
As he seemed to want to mention who his father was he might just mention it again, on the other hand, you and I won’t be the only ones who remembered the post or took a screenshot etc.

Glue_Sniffer

Old-Salt
I've a mate, very senior NCO in the Household Cav (Corporal Cornet of Horse? Ensign-Major? Never can remember their stupid ranks) who did P Coy years ago. Also spent some time with Them.

Natur he keeps things close to his chest, but I'm curious, and this is a thread where it's OK to ask about SF... do Cav who go Airborne and SF get specially trained horses? Do they use the loading ramp to jump?

Do the horses go separately, or is there some kind of big parachute for the rider/dobbin combo? Can horses do HALO? Do Para horses bore the Bejesus out of all the Hat horses in the stables with long, dull stories about how amazing they are? And finally do SF horses wear black nasty over their eyes too?

Keep it within OPSEC, thanks.
This should be a question for the RAC Para Sqn thread.
I raised a similar question, with regards to the dropping of small armoured vehicles, such as Fox or Ferret, by parachute.

This should be a question for the RAC Para Sqn thread.
I raised a similar question, with regards to the dropping of small armoured vehicles, such as Fox or Ferret, by parachute.

If they pumped the tyres up* really really big, would a parachute even be necessary?

* offer does not apply to CVR-T vehicles.

They throw foxes and ferrets out of aeroplanes? That's barbaric!

I thought only the yeomanry used Foxes... or was that Roy Orbison? Did the TA cav have an airborne element?

A section can be put on a wedge if the cargo net is strapped down tightly enough. MSPs are for Pl strength drops.
Hmmmm, is that one of the reasons loadies might occasionally try to remove bladed-items from PAX before flight ? One wouldn't want anyone cutting themselves out of the net and falling off the pallet after all . . .

Hmmmm, is that one of the reasons loadies might occasionally try to remove bladed-items from PAX before flight ? One wouldn't want anyone cutting themselves out of the net and falling off the pallet after all . . .
Cnuts.

One of them confiscated my 1inch pocket knife when I flew from UK to Berlin as part of a course of (presumably potentially homicidal) Army Staff College students.

Never saw it again.

Strangely, when I flew to Norway a coupla years later, at the head of my rifle company of peace loving infantry soldiers (lickle lambs - aah) nobody so much as blinked at the bayonets hanging off the belt of every fvcking one of them.

Surreal.

Euclid

Old-Salt
This is an important topic. With the last worthwhile British Army operational jump (non SF because fcuk knows or cares what they get up) taking place 76 years ago, its a crucial capability. Right up there with tent-pegging, field gunning and that slightly weird thing they use to do at HMS Ganges.

So crucial I’m amazed that CDS hasn’t decided to disband the Paras and put the Rifles in to do the job properly.

This is an important topic. With the last worthwhile British Army operational jump (non SF because fcuk knows or cares what they get up) taking place 76 years ago, its a crucial capability. Right up there with tent-pegging, field gunning and that slightly weird thing they use to do at HMS Ganges.

So crucial I’m amazed that CDS hasn’t decided to disband the Paras and put the Rifles in to do the job properly.
OK I'll bite................. So you don't consider a 12 man mix of Paras, Rifles, RAOC, RCT falling away from three Scout helicopters in the Radfan, way back then or 16 Guards mix element parachuting onto the Musandam Peninsula less than 76 years ago hasn't caught the CDS's attention, albeit he may well have been making his way through Sandhurst in those years I'd surmise.

Euclid

Old-Salt
OK I'll bite................. So you don't consider a 12 man mix of Paras, Rifles, RAOC, RCT falling away from three Scout helicopters in the Radfan, way back then or 16 Guards mix element parachuting onto the Musandam Peninsula less than 76 years ago hasn't caught the CDS's attention, albeit he may well have been making his way through Sandhurst in those years I'd surmise.
Kinda serves to support my point.

Latest Threads