Difference between SF jumps and BPC

Sounds a bit like the AFF route (although it's not, I know) in that you get taught a lot of technical stuff and techniques.

What you're not taught is survival and to think for yourself. Hopefully the SF candidates already have that ingrained from other things they've done. Odin knows the average AFF stude hasn't got the foggiest.
For AFF , the maximum amount of jumps we would allow in one day was three.

Seriously, with all the pre jump training, actual jump, debriefing and lessons learned,pre jump training for the second jump etc etc.
Throw in the adrenaline and utter awesomeness of whole thing and the student brain retains 15 - 20 % learning after this point.

Best to chill out over a couple of beers with fellow sky gods - and go and do it all again tomorrow.

Correct. Learn and retain more that way. Still very little sense of survival though.

Always thought a timed International Series or two and a couple of good hard arrivals on a 26' LoPo out in the sticks because of poor spotting and canopy handling would do more to focus their attention than any amount of posey dirt dives.

Oyibo

LE
Pallets/ MSPs are for cargo not people.
People have a learning threshhold which is pointless to exceed.
Stores is stores.
There is no equivelence.
A section can be put on a wedge if the cargo net is strapped down tightly enough. MSPs are for Pl strength drops.

SF jumps they have to keep the black and nasty on over their eyes when they do them?
I've a mate, very senior NCO in the Household Cav (Corporal Cornet of Horse? Ensign-Major? Never can remember their stupid ranks) who did P Coy years ago. Also spent some time with Them.

Natur he keeps things close to his chest, but I'm curious, and this is a thread where it's OK to ask about SF... do Cav who go Airborne and SF get specially trained horses? Do they use the loading ramp to jump?

Do the horses go separately, or is there some kind of big parachute for the rider/dobbin combo? Can horses do HALO? Do Para horses bore the Bejesus out of all the Hat horses in the stables with long, dull stories about how amazing they are? And finally do SF horses wear black nasty over their eyes too?

Keep it within OPSEC, thanks.

I've a mate, very senior NCO in the Household Cav (Corporal Cornet of Horse? Ensign-Major? Never can remember their stupid ranks) who did P Coy years ago. Also spent some time with Them.

Natur he keeps things close to his chest, but I'm curious, and this is a thread where it's OK to ask about SF... do Cav who go Airborne and SF get specially trained horses? Do they use the loading ramp to jump?

Do the horses go separately, or is there some kind of big parachute for the rider/dobbin combo? Can horses do HALO? Do Para horses bore the Bejesus out of all the Hat horses in the stables with long, dull stories about how amazing they are? And finally do SF horses wear black nasty over their eyes too?

What do you think happened to Shergar?

His undercover OP in a stable in Norther Ireland was bumped by the PIRA; that's how they admitted to stealing him in later years.

The Pony Major will be along shortly to answer all equine-specific parachuting enquiries.

Why don't you contact 7 Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery direct and find out. They have been in the Parachute role since about 1960, except for a seven year exile in Germany as hats between 1977-84.

After they tell you, please keep us updated on this thread.

Look on YewChoob for Richard Branson epic skydive fail (or similar) for graphic evidence :thumleft:
Jumping with Pete Wossname as I recall.

No one ever accused the Bearded Grinner of being over endowed in the survival skills department.

Jumping with Pete Wossname as I recall.

No one ever accused the Bearded Grinner of being over endowed in the survival skills department.
'Sharkey' Sh***dan was his Instructor for the duration.
As a 'Thank you' he was invited up to London for a meal at a very nice restaurant and when it came time to pay - he had no cards or cash on him.
Sharkey paid.
To be fair - a few days later a couple of Virgin Atlantic First Class tickets arrived in the post.

Ah, right. It was Pete who was making the Wally Gubbins movie and filmed it IIRC.

Couple of mates met with him to get a beer brand they were marketing onto Virgin aircraft. Not successful but both were deeply unimpressed.

Ah, right. It was Pete who was making the Wally Gubbins movie and filmed it IIRC.
Nah, it was Leo Dickenson (leading hot tub party pioneer), for one of the TV news channels
No one ever accused the Bearded Grinner of being over endowed in the survival skills department
It was that string of major mental malfunctions that persuaded RB to stay with the balloon when it went down in the Irish Sea(?), while Per Lindstrand gave it "So long, sucker" and baled out :-D

Leo must have miles of unused footage. He turned up at one of the Mmabatho Boogies and I helped him rig a camera (film) above the ramp to get the exits. Don't think I ever saw any of it anywhere. His archives must be bloody huge. Spent most of his time peering into viewfinders and fiddling about with cameras while he was there.

Got to wonder if RB was any use at all to PL on that trip, apart from writing the cheques. I get the idea that he was not much more than a passenger for most of his adventure trips.

Leo must have miles of unused footage. He turned up at one of the Mmabatho Boogies and I helped him rig a camera (film) above the ramp to get the exits. Don't think I ever saw any of it anywhere. His archives must be bloody huge. Spent most of his time peering into viewfinders and fiddling about with cameras while he was there.

Got to wonder if RB was any use at all to PL on that trip, apart from writing the cheques. I get the idea that he was not much more than a passenger for most of his adventure trips.
Leo asked me to take his missus for a Tandem jump so he could film it.
This was in the early days of Tandem, using the Strong Enterprises system - without a drogue.
Somewhere along the line it was decided that she would jump topless.
Now Mandy was a pretty girl with a disproportionally large pair of breasts.
And she was a friend who I had known for quite a while.
Got on the DC3, up to 12000' in the Florida sunshine making a supreme effort NOT to grope my friends tits - which is mighty hard when doing final harness checks.
On exit it became clear Leo was struggling to stay with us - fall rate being 10-15 mph faster without a drogue - so I don't know how much film of this exists.
Come deployment time the natural instinct is to put your arms around the passenger and this time I was quite justified in saving her magnificent norks from the stresses and force of rapid deceleration.

Yup, know how that goes without a drogue. Bloody rocket. I took pics of the first tandem done in SA and although S(P)D is a lightweight and his passenger was a tiny little slip of a girl, I left first and they went past me like a freight train, even though I was hopping in a pair of those silly satin shorts and my gear, nothing else except the camera helmet.

Think I got a bit of an arm or a leg in one frame of around 24 I shot.

It was also almost the world's first tandem fatality. I had never seen the thing work before and it had been packed with a major long distance snivel because of not having a drogue and the speeds involved.

Saw him wave off below me and pull so I thought he'd be under canopy by the time I passed him. Fucked up the timing sterek and we were both under canopy pretty much facing each other when both fully deployed. Bit of forward surge from both and rocking from deeply stowed brakes on the tandem canopy, and I had to lift my legs to go over the top of his canopy, collecting a smack on the arse from his pilot chute as I did so and coming close to leaving a brown skid mark on it. By that point I'd run out of film so nothing recorded, although none of us on the jump will forget it.

Doing some test jumps on mods for the system for S**** (an 11 cell canopy and the entire system eventually copied for the SA mil), I'd do the usual RW stuff and then chuck the drogue in a formation and slowly get sucked out of it, dump around 4000' and sit up there for ages watching the next load take off.

Happy days.

kimmi851

War Hero

Whilst this is a mystery to me, I hear rumours that the 23 Parachute Engineer jumps are still done whilst wearing the bodge tape as bondage gear.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
And finally do SF horses wear black nasty over their eyes too?

Mods, please delete if this breaches persec.
istock_000002210446xsmall.jpg

Although in honesty, this could be a BDSM horsey thing, i dunno...

Latest Threads