Difference between SF jumps and BPC

Depending how involved UK get with Op Barkhane, you may get that drop somewhat before Dobbin goes in. Les Grenouilles appear to be quite fond of the method in those parts.

No doubt @fantassin has more up to date gen.
Yes Op Barkhane and TF Sabre, the FRA SOF element have conducted at least 67 operational jumps in the Sahel region since 2011. Static Line, HAHO, HALO, tandem have all been used as well as a lot of heavy drops.

Some footage of Op jumps in the Sahel region in the past few years

Of note in the report on 8 RPIMa, one of the dispatcher is a female.

Last edited:

Euclid

War Hero
I think actually what you're being told, but haven't the humility to recognise it, is that while it might be a capability that you absolutely don't need every day, you'll rue they day you absolutely do need it, but don't got it no more.

And BTW, I recall seeing at Staff College, a translation of the handwritten note form appreciation and outline plan for the Kolwezi job, written by the mission commander while he was in transit by air to the DZ, so quickly was that operation mobilised and deployed.

It was very much a "Move now - orders to follow" job, and an exemplary display on his part of clarity of thought, under the most extreme pressure.

(Come to think of it, I had a Kolwezi veteran in my Int Section at the original HQ ARRC - the estimable and astonishingly multilingual Cpl Phillipe Ollieusz :) )
I think my comments are related to applicability rather capability.

When was the last time that the 82nd Airborne Division carried out an operational jump. Operation Market Garden September 1944? Its not known as 'The Palace Guard' for nothing.
Panama and Afghanistan were by the 75th Rangers, and although conventional static line, the Rangers belong to USSOCOM. There was a conventional jump in Northern Iraqi in 2003 by a battalion of the 173 Airborne Brigade based in Itatly in support of USSF, but I can't think of any by the 82nd.
I am pretty sure a whole shit load of them were on the busses behind me in 89, and also pretty sure some of them from 3/504 were somewhere floating around the periphery supporting 2/75 in 03 (before OIF but well after 3/75 OP Rhino and Alimarden 01), of course. that stayed a secret for a little while (parts still are, so it's a funny asterisk)... and they might have had a little fun since then as well.

After that 3/75 (and others) got to rack up some MFFs as well...

ABNredleg

War Hero
Some footage of Op jumps in the Sahel region in the past few years

Of note in the report on 8 RPIMa, one of the dispatcher is a female.
We’ve had female jump masters in the 82nd for decades - is it that rare in European militaries?

Oyibo

LE
We’ve had female jump masters in the 82nd for decades - is it that rare in European militaries?
Very rare [ETA, I'd never seen one before]. I remember being at Cherry Point for a very large AB exercise and the blokes in the plane were gawking (with drooling mouths) at the female jump masters. (Or should that be jump mistresses?)

One of the toms tried to give a jump master/mistress a bit of verbal and she gave him such good ripostes that the whole chalk was laughing at the guy.

The jump and jump mistress in question (she even seems to have an adam's apple):

1590324120401.png

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Very rare. I remember being at Cherry Point for a very large AB exercise and the blokes in the plane were gawking (with drooling mouths) at the female jump masters. (Or should that be jump mistresses?)

One of the toms tried to give a jump master/mistress a bit of verbal and she gave him such good ripostes that the whole chalk was laughing at the guy.
This is a jump mistress old boy

Oyibo

LE
This is a jump mistress old boy
I added a photo to my post for clarity, but I'm still not sure which one I prefer

What is noticeable is that she dispatched an Op jump. I don't think it has happened often in the past.

For the FRA ABN it was a first even though there has been female parachute instructors in the FRA forces since the 1980s.

ABNredleg

War Hero
Are the jump masters (dispatchers) organic to the each unit? In the US Army officers and NCOs within each unit are jump master trained. US Army riggers rig heavy drop platforms, with Air Force loadmasters pushing them out the plane.

Last edited:
Are the jump masters (dispatchers) organic to the each unit? In the US Army officers and NCOs within each unit are jump master trained. US Army riggers rig heavy drop platforms, with Air Force loadmasters pushing them out The plane.
In France they are. Since they stay in the plane it's often an additionnal qualification for admin or technical NCOs or officers. When l was in my jumping years, l usually was dispatched by either the regimental paymaster, an armament repairman or a mechanic.

ABNredleg

War Hero
In France they are. Since they stay in the plane it's often an additionnal qualification for admin or technical NCOs or officers. When l was in my jumping years, l usually was dispatched by either the regimental paymaster, an armament repairman or a mechanic.
In the US jumpmasters jump with the unit - safeties stay onboard. Not sure why it evolved that way.

edited for clarity

Last edited:

ABNredleg

War Hero
Not in France, each country has its habits and SOPs.
Sorry for the choice of words - I'm not implying that our way is the "correct way" to do things. I'm just interested in why armies do things certain ways.

In_Twists

Clanker
Very rare [ETA, I'd never seen one before]. I remember being at Cherry Point for a very large AB exercise and the blokes in the plane were gawking (with drooling mouths) at the female jump masters. (Or should that be jump mistresses?)

The jump and jump mistress in question (she even seems to have an adam's apple):
Ive only seen chicks dispatching in the States but I do know in Netherlands and France theres females trained up, who can dispatch, but werent doing it when we were with them.

Ive only seen chicks dispatching in the States but I do know in Netherlands and France theres females trained up, who can dispatch, but werent doing it when we were with them.
As in UK as well. Loadmasters and PTIs, females that is.

Latest Threads