Difference between Lancs and Yorks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you both recommend these as other options? Just wondering as I’m open to a 3rd option been looking at RRF, Rifles and dragoons. I think I’m a bit too far into my application to go navy now(unless I want to wait another 4-6 months)but I did think about Royal Marines for the more varied deployments. Army life just ended up appealing to me more than navy

The Navy suggestion was partly tongue in cheek as you specified 2 infantry units. The RN would have some great opportunities for travel and qualifications tthough.

But you seem determined to want to live a life eating cold food, in a hole, in the rain 6 feet from another hole with your (and others) poo in it. While you're doing that, some other bloke will be doing a run ashore on some tropical island after getting a good night's sleep in his own bed, 3 hot meals a day and a nice warm shower.

But hey, each to their own.

Seriously, good luck with your choice and career. I hope it's a long and happy one.

The Navy suggestion was partly tongue in cheek as you specified 2 infantry units. The RN would have some great opportunities for travel and qualifications tthough.

But you seem determined to want to live a life eating cold food, in a hole, in the rain 6 feet from another hole with your (and others) poo in it. While you're doing that, some other bloke will be doing a run ashore on some tropical island after getting a good night's sleep in his own bed, 3 hot meals a day and a nice warm shower.

But hey, each to their own.

Seriously, good luck with your choice and career. I hope it's a long and happy one.
Aye I heard navy lads love muddy holes :D
But cheers mate, I’m sticking to army, hope I don’t regret it. I looked at RN after already applying to army and now I’m deep into the application I’m just keen to get stuck in so wouldn’t want to withdraw to apply again.

Aye I heard navy lads love muddy holes :D
But cheers mate, I’m sticking to army, hope I don’t regret it. I looked at RN after already applying to army and now I’m deep into the application I’m just keen to get stuck in so wouldn’t want to withdraw to apply again.

You won't regret it. Keep your sense of humour and you'll be fine.

The Navy suggestion was partly tongue in cheek as you specified 2 infantry units.
A long long time before Ronald Lee Ermey ignored Stanley Kubrick's script and gave his "God loves the Marine Corps!" lecture in 'Full Metal Jacket', the late, Sgt Donald Kay, Scots Guards, gave an equally impassioned lecture to a bunch of 15yr old pimple faced junior soldiers* at the IJLB , Oswestry, during a 'shiny parade'** using the Scots Guards cap badge. The cross of St Andrew bent over at 45' angle was in the position of an infantryman driving home a bayonet into a miserable heathen, probably "A fokken Anglishman!" and the star behind was God's presence .
"The infantry are God's people... even the heathen fokken Anglish bast-ads!"

scots-guards---brass-other-ranks-metal-cap-badge.jpg

So, OP, embrace God's love and join either!

*Yes, I was one of those pimple faced 15yr olds, and 'Anglish', hoping to stay in J, or, K, or even Right Flank (reputedly taggy f**kups), platoons, anything but Sgt Kay's Left Flank Platoon once the senior term passed out into Man's Service from junior service and people got shifted around to even the numbers.
I went to Left Flank but found he was loud, harsh with his judgement but fair with his punishment ("My award or face the woodwork, Jimmy?"), with a good bit of shrewdly applied hype that worked well.

** Those that know, know.

Might I suggest that you consider the result of the last competitive fixture (militarily speaking) between the Red Rose and the White Rose? It took place just 536 years ago yesterday and resulted in a significant victory for the Lancastrians.

I reckon that’s a good enough reason to look to the West of the Pennines rather than the East.

Might I suggest that you consider the result of the last competitive fixture (militarily speaking) between the Red Rose and the White Rose? It took place just 536 years ago yesterday and resulted in a significant victory for the Lancastrians.

I reckon that’s a good enough reason to look to the West of the Pennines rather than the East.

I decided Lancs trump Yorks, this thread help me see clearly :D 2nd option rifles and 3rd options out of fusiliers and Yorks most likely, just hoping to get Lancs now.

North Manchester pretty close to the centre, im not too bothered about other mancs being in, more just trying to find a regiment I like the sound of. Think Lancs are currently my first choice but 2nd and 3rd is a toss up between a few others. Doesn’t seem to be much detail on what each regiment actually does before you join them.
Salford, Bury etc, is very much Fusilier territory. When I joined battalion I recognised quite a few faces from school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads