I'm heavily considering a career in the army as a doctor.
Currently year 1 of medical school.
What happens after the PQO course at Sandhurst? Can you join any regiment (regardless of whether it is a medical reg or not) you want, or are you (as a doctor) confined to only joining RAMC?
What is the role of a regimental medical officer? - can't seem to find much info out there... I heard that there's a lot of competition for these placements, is this true?

From what I've gathered after Sandhurst you either become a GDMO at an army medical centre in a sort of GP role or you can become an RMO. I would like some explanation of what my options are...


Kit Reviewer
If you are a doctor then it is usually the RAMC you join.
You can join any other regiment or corps if you so wished but then you would not do PQO but the standard RMAS course and would be a normal army officer rather than a doctor.

In mu experience RMOs were usually in a GP type role in a health centre.
GDMO just means not a specialist.
You will also get RAMC in the various Medical Regiments, serving wherever they are needed in a variety of roles.

An RMO is attached to a regiment, so will still wear RAMC cap badge but will adopt other dress styles of the regiment such as head dress.
Competition for RMO posts varies, there always used to be a queue for paras, but you'd also then have to do P company.

Latest Threads