Difference between companies

p077sy

Crow
Hello Everyone

I'm a long-time forum stalker and a first-time poster. I'm in the process of arranging a few visits to a local infantry regiment but wanted to pick some brains on here prior to going. Sorry if I get any of the terms wrong.

I live local to a few reserve companies’ part of same regiment, one is a HQ coy, one is within the city centre next to a university and one is in my local town. All are within 15-20 minutes’ drive so travel isn’t an issue to any. My preference would be to join a company that has a higher attendance however I was wondering if actually mattered and if it is likely that the company’s paths would cross as they are so local to each other?

Also are there any 'perks' joining a HQ or is just where more admin staff are located.

Any information would be helpful

Cheers

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Go down to each unit and get a feel for it.

Me personally was going to join a particular unit but went and visited the closest one to my house that I had no interest in. I had a chat with the lads and felt they were more welcoming, more organised, basically it felt like the right fit over the one I was going to join (which was decent but didn’t have the same feel as the one I joined).

I’ve been vague for Persec reasons, just go down to both units and see which one feels right.

however I was wondering if actually mattered and if it is likely that the company’s paths would cross as they are so local to each other?
Most week-ends would just be the Company training together. However on some week-ends and the two week camp the battalion would train together.

Thats what happened with the old TA anyway. I don't know if it has changed with AR units being linked to regular battalions and the role being more to provide individual reinforcements and sub units to the regulars, as opposed to mobilising a AR battalion to fight together.

The_Duke

LE
Swings and roundabouts. Greater chance of extra tasks at HQ Coy as they prepare for exercises, audits, inspections etc. More kit to clean, count, paint etc. On the upside, closer to the logistics and Comd element so chance of getting to hear about trips, courses etc.

The other company is likely to be more focussed on their core business, but can sometimes end up a bit “isolated”.

As a new joiner, it won’t make much difference to you for the first few years.

p077sy

Crow
I've spent alot of last night going throught social media and tbh they all seem to do the same intresting stuff. So on the off chance I know someone I'm going to give the local company a ring tomorrow, as a start anyways.

Cheers for infromation.

Latest Threads