Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Diesel on the way out?

One of the checks vosa do here is to see your not running an ad blue emulator..( get caught and it’s an interview without coffee with the traffic commissioner and bring your big cheque book)

17% reduction in new car sales across all manufacturers.
Directly caused by uncertainty over diesel
Just to underline your view?
These are acres of unregistered VW's baking in the desert in the States out of the DieselGate "scandal". Made I believe in the massive VAG factories at Chattanooga etc. Thousands of them. What a bloody waste of perfectly good cars.
Sorry for the link, cannot seem to post the actual photos.
300,000 VW Diesels Sitting All Over The US

Torque, I like torque. I’ll stick with turbo diesels for now.
If I was spending big bucks on a car then, sure, I’d look at petrol hybrids or whatever.
But for now, there’s some good second-hand diesel bargains to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup.
I had a lesson in torque last year when a neighbour lent me his Insignia Tdi estate to shift my son's gear from Falkirk to Catterick. SWMBO & I have owned 2 1840cc twin-cam Mx5 Roadsters for 15 years, and while hers has the same power to weight ratio, and is equally as quick as my '84 Capri 2.8i, you really have to stir it's close ratios to "use it" as designed, and keep it around 4k rpm + to wake up the VVT mill. It's how it's engineered.
It's "fun" in a latter-day Elan/Alfa twin cam way, but can be tedious on long motorway trips..which it's not designed for. It cruises at 70mph in 6th though, thanks to a tallish Fujji LSD.
The Insignia was for me a revelation in long-haul efficiency. I topped the tank at home, got to Catterick, dumped son & gear, and headed back. 390 miles round trip as I had to go through Richmond due to A1 road-works.
This thing, with cruise engaged, did it all on 2/3rds tank....in 6th most of the time. Boring? Sure. Efficient? Astonishing. I'd need to have filled the 5 at Catterick to get home! 1,800/2000-ish RPM at 70mph in 6th I seem to recall. I think I averaged 60mpg all in, as my mate had a bet I'd not hit that mark...as he knows how I drive!

Last edited:
I switched to diesel over 10 years ago because it was slightly cheaper per litre, more economical over distance and I would be saving the planet because Gordon Brown said it was “Bio-Diesel.”

Now, it’s 8p a litre more expensive than petrol and i’m a mass murderer for using it?

Economy’s still good though.

I switched to diesel over 10 years ago because it was slightly cheaper per litre, more economical over distance and I would be saving the planet because Gordon Brown said it was “Bio-Diesel.”

Now, it’s 8p a litre more expensive than petrol and i’m a mass murderer for using it?

Economy’s still good though.
A plant hire man of my acquaintance put it like this.
“ I’ll be buying a petrol king cab just as soon as they start making red petrol”!

A plant hire man of my acquaintance put it like this.
“ I’ll be buying a petrol king cab just as soon as they start making red petrol”!

20ltr drums of vegetable oil are half the price at the pump

I might have to patrol the outer perimeter of West Moors for the occasional Jerry can..?

Apparently the BAG, Polizei and all the others who do checks on the Autobahn have noticed that a number of truck drivers don't bother to tank up on Adblue, due to costs.[/QUOTE
]
Unless it has an emulator or otherwise been reprogrammed any diesel using DEF (Adblue) will de-rate and ultimately just tickover enough to allow the vehicle to be moved to safety if out of DEF

They all have a built in system for checking the correct concentration of DEF so pissing in the tank or diluting won't work ....again it will just de-rate.

The more imaginative cheats, have had the system "modified".
This was taken from a German TV report some time last year. I do not pretend to understand how Adblue works.

Which is the more expensive fuel in Europe? I've just got a new-to-me truck, picking it up today hopefully. I did consider the diesel version, but I was astonished to see that diesel fuel is just about 50% more expensive here. $1.97/gal for regular, and $2.97 for diesel. Decision made. The premium gas is about 60c more, so much closer than regular, but most US engines specify regular.

It's all a bit fcuked up when diesel is a much lower fraction of oil than gas/petrol.

Which is the more expensive fuel in Europe? I've just got a new-to-me truck, picking it up today hopefully. I did consider the diesel version, but I was astonished to see that diesel fuel is just about 50% more expensive here. $1.97/gal for regular, and $2.97 for diesel. Decision made. The premium gas is about 60c more, so much closer than regular, but most US engines specify regular.

It's all a bit fcuked up when diesel is a much lower fraction of oil than gas/petrol.

Petrol prices in Europe

All depends how much tax the government stick on.

Diesels stop being cheap when the DPF fails…

FTN, stick with petrol.

Daughter just swapped her Nissan Quashqui diesel for a petrol version.
OK the Renault TDI engine is utter shit but for me the small sub 2.0 diesel from any maker has now had it's day due to emission crap bolted to it.
Given the illogical and ill informed push back by the public and Government with vested interest against diesel it has seen it's day in small passenger vehicles and no manufacturer is going to spend millions to develop them much further.

Daughter just swapped her Nissan Quashqui diesel for a petrol version.
OK the Renault TDI engine is utter shit but for me the small sub 2.0 diesel from any maker has now had it's day due to emission crap bolted to it.
Given the illogical and ill informed push back by the public and Government with vested interest against diesel it has seen it's day in small passenger vehicles and no manufacturer is going to spend millions to develop them much further.

Im a big fan of Honda CRV-V's, on my 4th. Had a look at the new 1.6 twin turbo diesel… Holy f!!!!! Insane Complexityville.
Ask the workshop johnnie if he'd own one… no.
Nuff said.