Diesel now over £5.50 a gallon

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by jagman, Apr 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I suppose everybody has noticed but nobody seems to be saying much.
    When is that halfwit Brown going to realise that the country is about to grind to a halt because nobody can afford fuel anymore?

2. Everyone can afford fuel. They just don't like paying for it.

3. just remember, the last time there were protests the military were fcuked around.

4. There was something on the news a couple of days ago about a haulier saying they'd be going out of business soon if fuel continues to rise in price.

I'm already using some chip fat in my car, smells like a mobile chip shop but its free fuel.

5. I have converted my Defender to run on vegatable oil and in the last month Rapeseed Oil has gone from 55p a litre to 95p. With the Jocks going on strike next week I can see me having to take an enforced holiday, Paint the outside loo perhaps

6. Oh aye? So the fact that everything most of us spend money on has risen well over 10% in the last year has nothing to do with wildly escalating fuel costs?
    Inflation is supposedly around 2%, doesn't really add up when everything most of us spend money on has risen by well over 10% in the last year. Fuel costs drive up the price of everything we consume. Did you get a 10% payrise this year to cover the real increase in the cost of living? I know I didn't.

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

It's started to hit hauliers now and these aren't one man band operators either

Haulage company in administration
    One of South Yorkshire's biggest haulage companies has gone bust with the loss of 180 jobs.

A spokeswoman for E Pawson and Sons confirmed that the family-run company had gone into administration.

Director Rachel Slade said: "We are absolutely devastated at the moment and feel for all the people who have been affected by what has happened."

Based at Braithwell, near Rotherham, the firm also has depots in Normanton and Wakefield in West Yorkshire.

It ceased trading on Friday and the 180-strong workforce were made redundant with immediate effect.

Mrs Slade blamed the spiralling price of fuel and competition from major logistics companies for the decision to close.

The owner of a haulage firm which is closing after 14 years due to rising fuel costs has warned that others could be forced to follow suit.

Tim Harper, of Harper Haulage, will auction off his 22 lorries later this month, making about 20 staff redundant in Prestatyn, Denbighshire.

He said it was no longer viable to carry on, and warned that fuel costs would affect "every man and his dog".

Another haulier said it was inevitable other firms would close across Wales.

Mr Harper, who also runs a builder's merchants, said fuel had been rising in price steadily - sometimes daily - and he was "getting out now while I can".

There's a tremendous amount of haulage companies that are hanging on by a thread

Dewi Jones, haulier

According to the AA, the average price of diesel in Wales in March was 115.1p per litre - the highest in the UK - and an increase of more than 23% from March 2007.

Mr Harper said: "It's sad. We have plenty of work, we're very busy and we have a cracking fleet, but it's not economical to carry on.

"The cost of fuel is rising and I can't see it coming down."

Harper Haulage will cease trading on 18 April and the 22 wagons will be auctioned on 26 April.

Mr Harper said he was lucky because the haulage firm was not his only business, but he feared others would also be hit hard, adding: "It's going to affect every man and his dog."

He claimed the firm had received "no help" from the Road Haulage Association, but acknowledged there was little they could do.

There's very little we, Alistair Darling or Gordon Brown can do about it

Road Haulage Association on rising oil prices

Another haulier, Dewi Jones, of OJ Jones and Son Ltd in Porthmadog, Gwynedd, said the price of fuel was "escalating at a tremendous rate".

The family firm, started in 1960, operates 12 lorries.

Mr Jones said: "There's no shadow of a doubt that other haulage firms will go out of business. It's inevitable.

"There's a tremendous amount of haulage companies that are hanging on by a thread.

"I think that's what's stopping them protesting at the refineries again - they can't afford a couple of hours off, let alone a couple of days."

Mr Jones said regular fuel cost rises made it impossible to price jobs.

He said: "We're being asked now to price work that won't be starting for a few months and we can't tell the customers what the job will cost, because we have no idea how expensive fuel is going to be."

He added: "This business has been running since 1960. But I have a 13-year-old boy and I'm doing my best to keep him out of this industry."

Minimum

Mike Greene, of the South Wales Haulier's Association, said he had been forced to reduce his number of wagons from 10 to eight, and drivers across Wales were facing similar problems.

Mr Greene, of Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire, added: "There's a lot of us that have had to cut back.

"The way things are going, we will be closing the door completely, or laying more boys off."

Mr Greene said it cost roughly £600 to £700 per day to run his lorries, but said the rising costs were also hitting "Joe Public" hard.

Geoff Dunning, the Road Haulage Association's (RHA) regional director for the north, dismissed claims the body had done little to help struggling hauliers and said global factors were to blame for the rise.

He said the RHA had been "highly successful" in keeping duty rises to a minimum in recent years, and would continue to push for that.

He said the RHA could only try and help firms individually if help was requested - and he "cannot recall" anyone doing that.

8. So why is Diesel so much more expensive than Unleaded? Is it harder to make? Harder to transport? Harder to pump? Genuine question, not a wah....

9. if anything looks too good it gets taxed? however as much as 50% of the vehicles on the road use diesel which is heavy in carbon, its assumed due to carbon taxing etc, they have put the price up.

where as in reality they know diesel is slightly more efficent so they can off set the difference from and economical perspective to a tax persepctive. (EG, you use less so they tax more)

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Why is anyone surprised in Brown's Britain?
    Diesel is 10-20% cheaper than unleaded in almost every EU country.
    Filled up with diesel in France last week Euro 1.21 a litre, and Germany at Euro 1.35 - both places had unleaded at about 15 cents extra. France also includes its vehicle tax on the pump price.
    Filled up in Luxembourg last month, forgot the price but it was very cheap - big queues at stations near the borders.

11. Diesel is now 119.9 a Litre in my local Tesco garage! That works out at, what, £5.99 a gallon!!!!! This is within a small city in the South of England, not some backwater village. Top that if you can!

12. Diesel is 117.9 at my local tesco and their veg oil has gone up from 73p a litre to £1. Last week the Diesel was 114. I'm off to the chippy this evening to fill up!

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

So 40-50% more expensive than France, plus your road tax on top.
    There is also the small issue of North Sea oil which the French don't have.
    Norway incidentally, put 150bn of its oil revenue into the state pension scheme - ours went to fund Browns economic miracle :roll:

14. Maidenhead Honda, along the A4, was 120.9 yesterday.