Diesel in a petrol tank!

Discussion in 'REME' started by Detonator, Jun 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Amigos. Absolute disaster and I need the collective wisdom off Arrse to rescue me.

Moving house with a Transit van. I may have had problems with vehicles from the same source in the past. Last words to me were "Detonator, dont fcuk it, we want it back fit on Monday".

Piece of pi5s methinks. Until I fill the fcuker up with diesel, when its petrol.

Cue four hours of innefective syphoning.

My question is this:

Tank pretty empty. Its only £7 worth of diesel so 5 1/2 litres ish. If I just fill the fcuker to the brim with unleaded will it water it down enough to work fine? I cant get a garage to fix the problem as I still need to move, tommorow!

Please make me very grateful!
  2. Funnily enough I know someone else this happened to, did the same thing and couldn't get all the diesel out. he 'washed' out the tank with 10 litres of petrol to dilute the diesel (and syphoned as much out as he could again) then filled up with petrol and handed the bugger back (hire van) and tried to look innocent as the tranny smoked a bit.
    Its much worse putting petrol in a diesel engine (as my brother in law knows after virtually exploding his VW golf)
  3. Will it just smoke then? Can live with that, if thats all it does I'll just fess up!
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

With nothing more than a basic toolkit and a Haynes manual (available for free at your local library, don't but the fcuker!) , you should be able to disconnect the fuel line straight after the pump, and drain it. Then crack on.

As said above - diesel in a petrol engine just means it won't run, petrol in a diesel engine results in a compression-related over-pressure event - i.e. it goes kaboom. (Petrol is ignited by the heat of ignition provided by the engines spark plug - diesel engines have no spark plug, the diesel is ignited by the heat generated under compression when the piston hits TODC - Petrol has a much lower compressive flashpoint)
  5. I'd also drain the fuel filter (if you can) in case any has gone that far through the system.
  6. Get as much out as you can, fill it to the top and maybe put something like redex in (the petrol version!). You might have to clean the plugs as well but hopefully you should get away with it.

It's better to stick diesel into a petrol engine at least, the other way around kills the engine due to diesel having a lubricating effect, so using petrol instead removes that.
  7. Got both of the above, although not for a transit van. Disconnect the out line, then what? Turn it over or just switch electrics on? Will it just all pi5s out and empty the tank? This sounds fcuking good news to me....

There's a fuel filter right after the tank so I can disconnect it between there and the tank and let it do its thing. Is that right?
  8. Can I stop giggling at you now?
  9. dammit, just checked my stock of haynes books of lies and of course I only have the Diesel transit van book. how ironic

how to fix......
  10. theoriginalphantom, I didnt turn it over or even put the electrics on, because I clocked what I had done. Fuel filter be ok?

Good stuff here chaps, so the worst that could happen with 6 litres out of 60, is that it wouldnt run? The engine wouldnt get trashed though?
  11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

The fuel pump will run for about 3 seconds to "prime" the system every time the ignition is turned on. Utilise this to flush the tank.
  12. fuel filter should be fine then. I bet you don't feel very silly at the moment.... :D
  13. Its even funnier. I've still gotts get moved tomorrow!

Yes. I am a d1ck.
  14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

And as for the fuel filter - buy a new one, to be fitted AFTER you have finished flushing the system!
  15. I'd believe the basics are relevent throughout all vehicles so with something like this you wouldn't need a specific manual to the vehicle, just locate the filters, fuel pump and just clear the diesel out as said earlier. Personally I'd drain the tank, clear the filters out and mess around with the fuel pump until no more fuel comes out, fill up again with petrol and bleed the fuel system. Of course I could be talking bollocks but to me that would seem to be logical.