Diesel-electric car

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by pongo6863, Feb 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any idea why no manufacturer has produced a diesel-electric car?

I don't mean the hybrid bastards but the real deal, a small diesel/petrol engine or gas-turbine driving the generator that actually powers the car.

Railway locomotive are powered that way so why not cars?

2. Audi Duo III ? Or is that too hybrid?

3. Yep. No manufacturer has even hinted at any other design.

4. And the advantages of such a system are????????????????????????
    Further efficiency losses and increased manufacturing costs I would say.

I'd rather see more time spent on developing smaller two-stroke diesels for use in the auto industry.

5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

6. Grossly inefficient that's why, you'd need a car the size of a transit van.

7. Perhaps, but I reckon you would get less pollution, a lot of mpg, decent speeds and no stupidly long charge times - and a small two-stroke diesel would be perfect for the job.

8. The first computers were the size of a room - now they fit into a pocket...

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why bother with diesel-electric when there are other options available (including svo, bio, and bioblend)?

10. Higher low-end torque, less moving parts to go wrong, lower fuel consumption, cheaper than a hybrid, no reason for them to be more expensive than a mechanical drive-train...

11. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Eh? I'm not sure what you're driving at.

The C-X75 has four electric motors on each wheel, powered by a Lithium Ion battery, the turbines are used to create power to recharge the batteries and power the electric motors. Look at the third video on the link:

At 5.10 onward it describes how the drive train works.

12. Higher low-end torque, only if using a big torquy electric motor.
    less moving parts to go wrong.........??? Diesel engine, driving generator, driving electric motors driving the wheels, speed controls........at least as many moving parts, possibly more & more things to go wrong!
    lower fuel consumption,...........?????????? How? lots more mechanical & electrical losses, therefore more power required to achieve what a conventional diesel/mechanical drive would require; therefore less overall efficience, less fuel efficiency.
    More weight!

Nope still no advantage on small diesel two stroke with conventional drive.

Gas turbines.........very fuel inefficient compared to conventional internal combustion engines. so another no there.

13. Well you have the inefficiencies of two types of propulsion and the weight of both.

14. Electric motors have more low-end torque than equivalent power output dirt burners.
    No gearbox, no clutch = less moving parts. And lighter.
    More fuel efficient as engine is turning at peak performance, not constantly accelerating and decelerating. Higher low-end torque also helps here.

These are some of the reasons diesel-electric trains are diesel-electric, not just diesel. Lots of very heavy industrial machines are also diesel-electric, as are an increasing number of water-borne vessels of all sizes.

• Like Like x 1