Dieppe - 70th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DavidBOC, Aug 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. There are several days of commemorations with UK survivors also present.The main ceremony will be this morning at 10h30 local time in Square du Canada. The French Minister for Veterans is attending as well as several other Canadian and UK VIPs.
  2. Will you be there FairMaid?
  3. No I won't but it is a major commemoration with a huge Canadian presence and strong UK representation too. I hope it will not be too hot for the veterans.
  4. Lest We Forget
  5. Interesting video. The gentleman was part of Lord Lovat's unit. I gather part of the problem was there was no heavy naval gun support, only fire from destroyers.

Horrible casualties on that raid.
  6. Terrible, terrible chapter in our military history. A little quiet reflection.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There will be something held at Newhaven the main point of departure as usual. I am lucky in that Grandad a Canuck had already voluteered and started training for aircrew when this happened otherwise knowing his attitude to having a crack at the enemy he would have gone.
  8. fu2

fu2 LE

Remember reading somewhere that the raid was doomed to failure from the start and the purpose was to try out the Churchill tank.
  9. Back in my Punk Rocker days, there was a small neighbourhood grocers shop near my workplace, run by an old Royal Navy Second World War veteran. A proper Alf Garnett/Percy Sugden/Uncle Albert type, a great old fella. One day he told me that he was on a ship that carried the troops across to Dieppe. The warm up for Dieppe happened a night or two before: a mass allied forces hand-to-hand combat, The Battle Of Brighton Dome, in which British Commandos and Canadian soldiers got tore into each other at the South Coast's premier dance hall. His face lit up as he recounted how he and his handful of RN pals got out in one piece.
  10. Didn't only 1 tank get ashore and that got taken out pretty quickly? RIP.
  11. Little more to it than that i suspect. In any case a very tough 'school'. The sheer courage of those blokes - astounding, inspiring.
  12. fu2

fu2 LE

29 Churchills landed. 2 sunk in deep water and 12 got stuck on the beach. 15 made it over the seawall but could`nt get any further because of tank traps. They returned to the beach and gave fire support. All crews were killed or captured.