Dieppe - 70th Anniversary

There are several days of commemorations with UK survivors also present.The main ceremony will be this morning at 10h30 local time in Square du Canada. The French Minister for Veterans is attending as well as several other Canadian and UK VIPs.

Will you be there FairMaid?

No I won't but it is a major commemoration with a huge Canadian presence and strong UK representation too. I hope it will not be too hot for the veterans.

Terrible, terrible chapter in our military history. A little quiet reflection.

ugly

LE
There will be something held at Newhaven the main point of departure as usual. I am lucky in that Grandad a Canuck had already voluteered and started training for aircrew when this happened otherwise knowing his attitude to having a crack at the enemy he would have gone.

Remember reading somewhere that the raid was doomed to failure from the start and the purpose was to try out the Churchill tank.

Back in my Punk Rocker days, there was a small neighbourhood grocers shop near my workplace, run by an old Royal Navy Second World War veteran. A proper Alf Garnett/Percy Sugden/Uncle Albert type, a great old fella. One day he told me that he was on a ship that carried the troops across to Dieppe. The warm up for Dieppe happened a night or two before: a mass allied forces hand-to-hand combat, The Battle Of Brighton Dome, in which British Commandos and Canadian soldiers got tore into each other at the South Coast's premier dance hall. His face lit up as he recounted how he and his handful of RN pals got out in one piece.

Didn't only 1 tank get ashore and that got taken out pretty quickly? RIP.

Didn't only 1 tank get ashore and that got taken out pretty quickly? RIP.

29 Churchills landed. 2 sunk in deep water and 12 got stuck on the beach. 15 made it over the seawall but could`nt get any further because of tank traps. They returned to the beach and gave fire support. All crews were killed or captured.

ugly

LE
The raid was a demonstration of why we couldnt open a second front that year. It was meant to be a lessons learning operation and the loss of the Churchills was apparently worrying but the Germans wrote them off as useless not fit for training and evaluation purposes.
The raid was almost a success for the raiders, it was a success for Combined operations as the commandos got ashore proving that flank attacks worked and armour and inf needed sandy beaches with less defences to be successful. I often wonder if the churchills were added as an afterthought as there was almost no way we could have got them back. General Hobarts division learnt the most from all of this unfortunately the US Army didnt as they only landed some Rangers with our Commandos.

I see that there is a prog on yesterday channel:

Dieppe uncovered

showing
today at 2100

and three times on 2oth

ugly

LE
There was almost a cottage industry in Canada post war denigrating Churchill and Mountbatten for the raid when the reality was the raid had to take place (Stalin needed placating) and the Canadians volunteered to go, so many in fact that units were apparently turned away. Yes we possibly should have had cruisers at least doing NGS and more air support and fighter cover over the invasion fleet but it wasnt meant to succeed is a theme that runs through all of the memoirs apart from possibly those with the most to blame when it went wrong and they fall into the "Lessons needed to be learned" camp!

There was almost a cottage industry in Canada post war denigrating Churchill and Mountbatten for the raid when the reality was the raid had to take place (Stalin needed placating) and the Canadians volunteered to go, so many in fact that units were apparently turned away. Yes we possibly should have had cruisers at least doing NGS and more air support and fighter cover over the invasion fleet but it wasnt meant to succeed is a theme that runs through all of the memoirs apart from possibly those with the most to blame when it went wrong and they fall into the "Lessons needed to be learned" camp!
I fully agree with you on that BUT Dieppe was to my mind a sucess because of the lessons learned and the lives it most certanly saved on D Day