Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diego Maradona has kicked the bucket

Dwarf

LE
I rate Ronaldo above Messi, more of a team player, but none of them are a patch on Pele.
There will always be opinions and debates about who is the best, I personally don't rate Diego above Leo.
If that Ronaldo is Cristiano then the team is there for his personal benefit. If it is the other then was this goal better than Diego's against England? Opinions will vary.

Firstly, I stopped reading at the bottom of page 1.
However I have one comment, what's with the phrase "He's passed"? Passed what? Wind? A car?. He hasn't passed, he's died, dead, ceased to exist. Why do we continue to use euphemisms for death when plain, good old English can be used to accurately describe what's happened?

D7D3437E-7AE1-4AE6-ACE6-4D7ED6C6B802.jpeg

pc flaps

War Hero
I think for all the arguments on this thread for him being the GOAT, no matter how you square the circle, he will, in this country, only be remembered as a drug taking, whoremongering cheat.

Unfortunate as that may be, that is how is was perceived and will always be remembered by many of us.

I'm sorry that he is dead, he seems, to my eyes at least, to have squandered the riches (both in talent and money) that he was given. Some of the comments here are somewhat mean spirited, but I'm afraid that is the bed that he made, for the English anyway.
He certainly squandered his money and health, but I don't see how he squandered his talent. Napoli hadn't won the league ever and Maradona arrived, they won it twice in three years. They've never won it since.

As for Argentina, he dragged an ordinary team to world champions in '86 and an even more ordinary team to the final four years later. Messi by contrast has never won a trophy with Argentina and has been poor at two World Cups and a disappointment at a third.

The man was a little wnaker and cheat, but you can't objectively say he squandered his talent.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
behold-the-field-in-which-i-grow-my-fcks-v2-canvas.jpg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
There will always be opinions and debates about who is the best, I personally don't rate Diego above Leo.
If that Ronaldo is Cristiano then the team is there for his personal benefit. If it is the other then was this goal better than Diego's against England? Opinions will vary.

No mention of the best? George Best, look at this.

jg505

War Hero
I think it was his second goal against England in 86 that was pure class but, as far as I'm concerned, I will always remember him for being a cheating, drug fuelled Argy cùnt.

Honestly, the back pages of today's papers are simply nauseating .

I think it was his second goal against England in 86 that was pure class but, as far as I'm concerned, I will always remember him for being a cheating, drug fuelled Argy cùnt.

Honestly, the back pages of today's papers are simply nauseating .
Positives from this include knocking Meghan Markle and the Ginger Cnut off the headlines for a while

I'd like to see Messi or Ronaldo playing in games like this -

Maradona's sins were legion, but one thing he could never be accused of was diving. Other team's defences would try to kick seven shades of excrement out of the fat little runt, but Maradona would take the punishment without crying to the ref. And then score the winning goal.

Dwarf

LE
FYI a POV from Catalonia:

From my paper this morning a quote.
"Maradonna stained everything he touched, except the ball."

And an article hastily translated:
Looking back it appears amusing: Diego Maradona in 1984 kicking about on the beach in Castelldefels with some kids to whom he says, very formally, in an advertisement for the Generalitat's campaign: “If they offer you drugs, just say no ”. Or, together with Jordi Pujol in Palau, releasing to the press: "I immediately accepted (to do the ad) because I feel very sorry for those boys on drugs."

Despite appearances and the advert –everyone can have a bad day - Maradona never seemed like a hypocritical guy, just the opposite. He was already taking drugs in the badass, night owl, partying Barcelona of the eighties, always in bad company, but he had to consider it a duty to keep boys away from vice who would never have the second, third and fourth chances that he would enjoy..

Diego Armando Maradona has gone and one wonders who he was, beyond the footballer. The

chaos? The eternal adolescent? A great or a little man?

Luckily for everyone, Maradona is a few moments of supreme happiness with as much or more hypocrisy than his in the car ad. If the referee or the VAR had annulled that illegal goal against England in the quarterfinals of the 1986 World Cup, justice would have been done. As is known, Maradona finished off with his left fist against an archetype of honesty (or the dullness of the position), goalkeeper Peter Shilton.

I am one of those who put the greatness of that goal before universal justice because if football allows something, it is to be that arbitrary. And answering when leaving the locker room, with the expectant world media, that “it was the hand of God” is one of the most brilliant and memorable phrases in the history of sport. The next instant was his second goal, which is to the individual what Brazil's fourth goal in the 1970 final is to society. Maradona dribbles past six rivals and when they are beaten, nonchalantly, hits it with his left foot. End of story.

Only a people like the Argentine, half Italian, half Spanish, could have thought of attacking the Malvinas just like that, leading the youngsters to the slaughterhouse. "We knew that many Argentines had been killed there like little birds," Maradona recalled from the atmosphere in the Argentine squad prior to the duel against England. Again, the arbitrariness: we all thought it was a divine revenge.

An example of nothing off the field, angel on the field, it was always difficult to settle accounts with a guy capable of amassing a fortune and looking like the eternal unclassy guy.

Ed for bad pasting.

Last edited:

964ST

Old-Salt
Firstly, I stopped reading at the bottom of page 1.
However I have one comment, what's with the phrase "He's passed"? Passed what? Wind? A car?. He hasn't passed, he's died, dead, ceased to exist. Why do we continue to use euphemisms for death when plain, good old English can be used to accurately describe what's happened?
The latest news on Diego Maradonna.......

he is STILL Dead!

Queues of up to 1 million in Buenos Aires , waiting to file past the coffin .
Not many wearing masks and several fights have already broken out , but it's alright , because the president has suspended the virus for 72 hours .
He actually made that announcement .....
1606417575511.png

1606417654110.png

1606417683295.png