Diego garcia

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by soldierboy99, Dec 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone ever been posted there I'm after some info for a mate who has been fortunate enough to be posted there, if only i was that lucky im stuck in the Falklands. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Where in the World Is Diego Garcia? — Infoplease.com

Any help?
  3. Hope he/she likes spams and water, lots and lots of water.
  4. When is he going? I was offered the slot for nov next year.
  5. Good luck to him, I wasn't aware there was any Army posts on the island? Must be one of the few sunshine postings still available that doesn't involve being shot at by bearded locals.

Not much help but my Bruv in law was posted out there about 7 years ago with the Maureens. General feeling I got from him was, fantastic experience but be prepared for severe bouts of bordom as even paradise islands become mundane after a while.

Upsides - Great Scoff, brilliant newly built (7 years ago) Yank Gym, plenty of USAF minge to sniff around, lots of down time, fishing, scuba diving, beach BBQ's, extra pay, sun, sea and sand.

Downsides - Tiny place, less USAF minge to sniff around now compared to 7 years ago, bored head shed, bored matelot MP's, limited number of drinking establishments, no penguins but big **** off Sharks.
  6. I thought Diego Garcia was a footballer ?
  7. I know 2 people who have been there. All I know is it is working with Yanks and unaccompanied!
  8. Forced Removal of the Indigenous Inhabitants
    Although Diego Garcia once had a small native population, the inhabitants, known as the Ilois, or the Chagossians, were forced to relocate (1967–1973) so that the island could be turned into the U.S. military base. Most of the roughly 1,500 displaced Chagossians were agricultural workers and fisherman. Uprooted and robbed of their livelihood, the Chagossians now live in poverty in Mauritius's urban slums, more than 1,000 miles from their homeland. A smaller number were deported to the Seychelles. About 850 islanders forced off Diego Garcia are alive today, and another 4,300 Chagossians have been born in exile. A 2003 60 Minutes segment and a 2004 documentary by Australian journalist and filmmaker John Pilger, Stealing a Nation, have done much to publicize the little-known plight of the islanders.

Read more: Where in the World Is Diego Garcia? — Infoplease.com Where in the World Is Diego Garcia? — Infoplease.com

That was very civil of us & the land of the free eh ?
  9. Population of 1500 increasing to over 5000 in just 40 years!? Something must be going right for them then, or are they lining up for compensation payments?

Anyway, as I recall, they were not natives of DG, but itinerants who spent some time there.
  10. I hit a bit of a stumbling block when I mentioned tat to the Mrs...
  11. Yeah one of the reasons I've never "enquired" as much as I'd love to have been there!
  12. I bet you did! :lol:
  13. Couldn't even placate her with a 'well you could visit me there*'.

*may or may not be possible.
  14. Not, as far as I'm aware
  15. @ Chocolate Frog I think he has a few courses to do back in the UK (He leaves his current job here in Jan) then I think its about 14 months in Diego, i will confirm this when he get's back in if you want i can get him to PM you once he's settled in give you all the info.