Didn't get the Regiment I wanted at RSB's...

Saffer conscript Pioneers in the 80s.
Yep that summed them up.
Though we couldn't trust em with guns, boats or working firearms
My experience of working with Pioneer support on two significant occaisions was that they got a lot of shitty jobs, and carried them out with pride, determination and endless good humour.

Just as a matter of interest, who does clear up the battlefield now ?

Think yourself lucky. Albertous Junior was accepted into a prestigious cavalry regiment yesterday so that's his inheritance going to him early and being pissed up against a wall in the aftermath of bottles of champagne every night in the mess.

I think it's a relatively recent trend, assisted by numerous gaps in junior officer manning. There's a particularly high rate of transfer into the Int Corps, and a handful of the new female RAC officers are transferees.
Surprised to hear about gaps in manning given that Sandhurst is well-fed, at least so far as I read from the likes of @Brotherton Lad

To be fair, its probably no bad thing. The frequency of transfers when I was serving was probably below a fair reflection of YOs finding their calling elsewhere. Moreover the really poor retention of Inf/Cav officers as Telic & Herrick bit caused problems down the line, but could have been mitigated by transfers-in. I know a handful of slow starters who didn't get the regiment they wanted at Sandhurst & left after three years, only to don their preferred capbadge via a RARO or TA mobilisation.

Surprised to hear about gaps in manning given that Sandhurst is well-fed, at least so far as I read from the likes of @Brotherton Lad

To be fair, its probably no bad thing. The frequency of transfers when I was serving was probably below a fair reflection of YOs finding their calling elsewhere. Moreover the really poor retention of Inf/Cav officers as Telic & Herrick bit caused problems down the line, but could have been mitigated by transfers-in. I know a handful of slow starters who didn't get the regiment they wanted at Sandhurst & left after three years, only to don their preferred capbadge via a RARO or TA mobilisation.

The last 3 courses are full. Of course, they are still here. The manning gaps mentioned will be further up the chain.

My experience of working with Pioneer support on two significant occaisions was that they got a lot of shitty jobs, and carried them out with pride, determination and endless good humour.

Just as a matter of interest, who does clear up the battlefield now ?
Still the pioneers, but mostly coloured and black chaps, mostly in heir 30s.
The 1980s issue I dealt with comprised white trash, and the sick/lame/lazy huffels and snuffels - one level above 'unfit for service'.
Their main task seemed to be 'overseeing' prisoners from the local jail, who were rented out at a pittance a day to various places to do ground clearing, tree chopping etc.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get in. Pass the CC then StA training. Then see how you like it or look at opportunities to transfer to another cap badge.

There's still a few holding on in rlc, remnants from when they did exist, but not many left now.
Infantry battalions have assault pioneers
Can’t be many left, they were binned circa 2008. There will be a few Officers who were Pioneer Troopies.

Can’t be many left, they were binned circa 2008. There will be a few Officers who were Pioneer Troopies.
There may well be none now, the last one I knew was in about 2014,he must have been getting close to his 22 and he claimed to be one of 80 left at that time

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Think yourself lucky. Albertous Junior was accepted into a prestigious cavalry regiment yesterday so that's his inheritance going to him early and being pissed up against a wall in the aftermath of bottles of champagne every night in the mess.
I can only assume by that you are of course referring to the fine men of the Household Cavalry.

That and the fact it fits the description of most of our officers!

I can only assume by that you are of course referring to the fine men of the Household Cavalry.

That and the fact it fits the description of most of our officers!
Not one of the HCRs but a DG regiment.