Did you see the photos of the Calvine UFO in the 1990s?

bandits

Clanker
Hello,

I am a researcher assisting Dr David Clarke of Sheffield Hallam University, and we are seeking to make contact with anyone who has information related to the "1990 Calvine UFO incident".

Basically, the claim is that around 9pm on 4th August 1990, an unidentified, "diamond-shaped" aircraft was photographed flying beside a Harrier jump jet near Calvine, Scotland.

The photographer was a member of the public, and he sent all the negatives to the Daily Record newspaper (Scotland’s biggest tabloid at the time) which quickly handed them to the press/comms team at RAF Pitreavie Castle. From there, the negatives made their way to the MOD.

After being interviewed at least twice by the military (by RAF and Defence Intel), the photographer (likely a deer poacher) has never again come forward and his identity is unknown, the negatives have never been located, and the newspaper itself never ran the story (likely because the Daily Record's editor in 1990 was himself a member of what today is known as the Defence and Security Media Advisory Committee, the body which issues "do not publish" notices to the media).

The MoD, via JARIC, conducted at least 2 investigations into the photos in both 1990 and 1992. Declassified letters written on 18th and 22nd December 1992 by the British Air Attaché in Washington D.C. also state that Defence Intelligence contacted the DIA & CIA, ‘to ask if the United States had anything flying off Machrihanish,’ and that the best of the 6 photos was to be taken to the USA in January 1993, ‘so that both intelligence communities can look at it together.' When it was, we have been told that the Americans were privately livid, some because they thought the UK had abused secret stealth-related knowledge that had been shared by the US, but others because a craft they had kept extremely secret (allegedly Astra/Aurora) had been spotted out in the open.

Two witnesses have independently confirmed that a copy of the best of the 6 photos was blown-up to poster size and pinned to the wall in the Secretariat Air Staff office in London for several years in the early 1990s, but that a positive declaration of the craft’s identity was never made.

Other witnesses, meanwhile, have told us that copies of the photos were privately circulated in Scotland by RAF personnel as late as 1998, in the manner of "What do you make of this photo?"

The case files that the MoD saw fit to preserve and release are very limited and highly disorganised. They contain no negatives, no photos, no vu-foils (like OHP sheets, if people remember those), and no analysis reports related to this case, all of which at one time are known to have existed. What they do contain is a very low-resolution scan of a fax of a photocopy of part of just 1 of the 6 photos, plus a couple of pages of heavily redacted “minutes”. Moreover, in January 2020, the MoD contacted The National Archives and successfully arranged for the redactions in the file to remain in place until 2076.

We have no firm opinion of what the craft was, and we are merely seeking answers to various questions:
  • Did you see the images in the 1990s?
  • Were you in JARIC in 1990-1993?
  • Were you in the RAF in Scotland in 1990-1993?
  • Did you fly Harriers in Scotland in 1990?
  • Were you in Secretariat Air Staff 2a in 1990-1993?

If anyone has any relevant information at all on this matter, Dr Clarke and I would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

Thank you,

Matthew Illsley

Attachments

• cal1.png
    cal1.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 364
  • cal2.jpg
    cal2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 574
  • cal3.png
    cal3.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 232
  • cal4.png
    cal4.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 220
Great , as I said a few days ago on the site. How come , today and for the last 10 years at least , most people have a camera on their phone, today HD 30 x magnification.

Yet the UFO “photos” we see are are all 30 years old and on a negative when enlarged , blown up show a black blob.

If there are UFOs , Aliens kidnapping John/Jane Doe on a weekly basis . How come there are no HD photos of these UFO’s?

BTW , what news paper do you work for?

bandits

Clanker
Great , as I said a few days ago on the site. How come , today and for the last 10 years at least , most people have a camera on their phone, today HD 30 x magnification.

Yet the UFO “photos” we see are are all 30 years old and on a negative when enlarged , blown up show a black blob.

If there are UFOs , Aliens kidnapping John/Jane Doe on a weekly basis . How come there are no HD photos of these UFO’s?

BTW , what news paper do you work for?

Hello. The "diamond" image, we understand, is a scan of a fax of a photocopy, so the quality is understandably degraded. In this particular case, we have multiple witnesses who say they handled the original prints in the 1990s which were clear (some were black and white and others in full colour.)

We make no claims about abductions, visitations, or anything of that nature.

We only use UFO in a very literal sense: an aerial object with an unknown identity. We're not suggesting aliens.

I don't work for any newspaper, and I'm not a freelancer. I'm just trying to assist in an academic capacity. All the best.

Last edited:
Hello. The "diamond" image, we understand, is a scan of a fax of a photocopy, so the quality is understandably degraded. In this particular case, we have multiple witnesses who say they handled the original prints in the 1990s which were clear (some were black and white and others in full colour.)

We make no claims about abductions, visitations, or anything of that nature.

We only use UFO in a very literal sense: an aerial object with an unknown identity. We're not suggesting aliens.

I don't work for any newspaper, and I'm not a freelancer. I'm just trying to assist in an academic capacity. All the best.

Ps, if people would like to contact me privately, I am on Twitter under my own name. Thanks
So if I said I saw the “thing “ and swore on the Bible ( Books from other religions are available) that I also saw a small blue,green,brown alien , with of course a huge head and three fingers flying said craft . You would accept my statement as coming from a witness?

I do like your reference to Aurora , at the time you are talking about the “latest” secret US aircraft would have been the F 117. Take a look at Wiki .

Also it only ”flew” in the UK at that time from RAF Machrianish.

Ahem!! This is primarily an ARMY website; they can answer questions about tanks, marching, shouting, stamping feet and THAT rifle but for questions about things that move about in the air, you need to ask the light blue but not after 17.00 weekdays or at anytime over weekends.

I take it Pprune didn't give you the answer you wanted when you asked the same question on 3rd February? Try e-goat.

Hello,

I am a researcher assisting Dr David Clarke of Sheffield Hallam University, and we are seeking to make contact with anyone who has information related to the "1990 Calvine UFO incident".

Basically, the claim is that around 9pm on 4th August 1990, an unidentified, "diamond-shaped" aircraft was photographed flying beside a Harrier jump jet near Calvine, Scotland.

The photographer was a member of the public, and he sent all the negatives to the Daily Record newspaper (Scotland’s biggest tabloid at the time) which quickly handed them to the press/comms team at RAF Pitreavie Castle. From there, the negatives made their way to the MOD.

After being interviewed at least twice by the military (by RAF and Defence Intel), the photographer (likely a deer poacher) has never again come forward and his identity is unknown, the negatives have never been located, and the newspaper itself never ran the story (likely because the Daily Record's editor in 1990 was himself a member of what today is known as the Defence and Security Media Advisory Committee, the body which issues "do not publish" notices to the media).

The MoD, via JARIC, conducted at least 2 investigations into the photos in both 1990 and 1992. Declassified letters written on 18th and 22nd December 1992 by the British Air Attaché in Washington D.C. also state that Defence Intelligence contacted the DIA & CIA, ‘to ask if the United States had anything flying off Machrihanish,’ and that the best of the 6 photos was to be taken to the USA in January 1993, ‘so that both intelligence communities can look at it together.' When it was, we have been told that the Americans were privately livid, some because they thought the UK had abused secret stealth-related knowledge that had been shared by the US, but others because a craft they had kept extremely secret (allegedly Astra/Aurora) had been spotted out in the open.

Two witnesses have independently confirmed that a copy of the best of the 6 photos was blown-up to poster size and pinned to the wall in the Secretariat Air Staff office in London for several years in the early 1990s, but that a positive declaration of the craft’s identity was never made.

Other witnesses, meanwhile, have told us that copies of the photos were privately circulated in Scotland by RAF personnel as late as 1998, in the manner of "What do you make of this photo?"

The case files that the MoD saw fit to preserve and release are very limited and highly disorganised. They contain no negatives, no photos, no vu-foils (like OHP sheets, if people remember those), and no analysis reports related to this case, all of which at one time are known to have existed. What they do contain is a very low-resolution scan of a fax of a photocopy of part of just 1 of the 6 photos, plus a couple of pages of heavily redacted “minutes”. Moreover, in January 2020, the MoD contacted The National Archives and successfully arranged for the redactions in the file to remain in place until 2076.

We have no firm opinion of what the craft was, and we are merely seeking answers to various questions:
  • Did you see the images in the 1990s?
  • Were you in JARIC in 1990-1993?
  • Were you in the RAF in Scotland in 1990-1993?
  • Did you fly Harriers in Scotland in 1990?
  • Were you in Secretariat Air Staff 2a in 1990-1993?

If anyone has any relevant information at all on this matter, Dr Clarke and I would be extremely grateful to hear from you.

Thank you,

Matthew Illsley

The aircraft is reminiscent of one of many Lockheed Martin prototypes that didn't make it to production, wouldn't you say?

Given the circles I move in, I'm pretty sure I would've heard of this. I could elaborate, but won't. The only reference to this occurrence is what I've read from Nick Pope's works.

Given the circles I move in, I'm pretty sure I would've heard of this. I could elaborate, but won't. The only reference to this occurrence is what I've read from Nick Pope's works.
Nick Pope is the real-life Fox Mulder, but entrusted by the MoD with the truth about ancient aliens and pyramids.

Nick Pope is the real-life Fox Mulder, but entrusted by the MoD with the truth about ancient aliens and pyramids.
No wonder he can't establish himself in the England team, too busy UFO-hunting.

Slime

LE

And, as if by magic, Pope says he had these photos on his wall when he was a desk officer* in the MOD.

*For those familiar with the role of a desk officer, Pope seems to think that job meant ‘Head of the U.K. UFO investigation department’

Looks like the old f117 stealth that would have been around then. They were doing ranges in Scotland I understand. Alternatively it could be the one that kept popping up around Woodford and salsmesbury about that time. Upset a few pilots near Ringway (Manchester airport).

bandits

Clanker
The aircraft is reminiscent of one of many Lockheed Martin prototypes that didn't make it to production, wouldn't you say?

Thank you for replying.

Yes, we thought it might have been a version of the "Have Blue" or "Hopeless Diamond" prototypes. We haven't found anything to confirm that, though.

An author/researcher with extensive experience in the field of black aircraft insists those models never left the Nellis test range, though.

Amazing that anyone would pay 9k a year to 'study' UFOs. What exactly does that equip you for in the job market?

An author/researcher with extensive experience in the field of black aircraft of colour insists those models never left the Nellis test range, though.
Most of those models didn't, as far as I can tell, though I'm pretty certain there's at least one model doing its business at the edge of the atmosphere - whether it's a test craft or in operation, I don't know.

Latest Threads