• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Did you raise a glass at 23:16 on the 5th june?

At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks plus RE support landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge. The first gilder, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwork, landed 47 meters from the bridge after a 10k glide... It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory.

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun...

I didn't think to do so, but I will gladly drink a toast to those spectacularly great men of that time. I would say that by desire or circumstance they provided a level of achievement that we fail to achieve. But then I look at the reports of the men (and women) in Afghanistan ( and previously in Iraq) and realise that those goals and determination still exist.

Bravo_Bravo said:
At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks plus RE support landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge. The first gilder, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwork, landed 47 meters from the bridge after a 10k glide... It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory.

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun...
Having seen how close he got it to the bridge, if you've never been there you've missed a genius. It was spitting distance, and at night too

Nothing to do with the entry into Rome then? :roll:

'Rome? What Rome? When? Who? Why? Was it by glider? Is it near Pointe du Hoc? What's it got to do with WWII?

No.9

I tend to think about the assault teams on Sword Beach where 50% casualties were to be considered OK.

Neverheless the whole thing has meant we haven't had to do anything like that since for which I am very, very grateful.

Latest Threads