Did you raise a glass at 23:16 on the 5th june?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jun 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At 00:16 Double British Summer Time ( 23:16 BST ) on 6th june 1944, D Company 2nd Bn Ox and Bucks plus RE support landed by glider at Benouville ( now Pegasus ) Bridge. The first gilder, piloted by S/Sgt Jim Wallwork, landed 47 meters from the bridge after a 10k glide... It was one of the "most outstanding flying achievements of the war", said Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory.

The battle for the liberation of Europe had begun...

2. I didn't think to do so, but I will gladly drink a toast to those spectacularly great men of that time. I would say that by desire or circumstance they provided a level of achievement that we fail to achieve. But then I look at the reports of the men (and women) in Afghanistan ( and previously in Iraq) and realise that those goals and determination still exist.

3. No; I believe I was in mid-bum at the time, it's what they would have wanted.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Having seen how close he got it to the bridge, if you've never been there you've missed a genius. It was spitting distance, and at night too

5. Nothing to do with the entry into Rome then? :roll:

'Rome? What Rome? When? Who? Why? Was it by glider? Is it near Pointe du Hoc? What's it got to do with WWII?

No.9

6. Pictures please.

7. I tend to think about the assault teams on Sword Beach where 50% casualties were to be considered OK.

Neverheless the whole thing has meant we haven't had to do anything like that since for which I am very, very grateful.