Did you feel safer?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bigpod, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not sure about in BAOR but I certainly wasnt bothered by terrorists in the UK and thats before armed plod at every opportunity, cctv, dna database and ID cards.
    Admittedly I'm not bothered by scumbags now but I get a feeling that anti terror laws are primarily to suppress opposition against the govt in any form!

2. Interesting to learn that the two TA units I was in were both earmarked for Home Defence. Why did we spend so much time on AFV recognition? ;)

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I agree entirely with that. Today its the government that is the biggest threat to liberty rather than terrorists or other nation states.

It's amazing how much freedom has been taken away in 20 years by those scum bags in the name of protecting us.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

But we digress, possibly because that link takes so long to load and longer to read!

5. I remember some tourist at Paddinton station in the mid 80's complaining there were no rubbish bins. I explained it was because the IRA were putting bombs in them!
    Now I catch myself looking suspiciously at Asian youths with rucksacks trying to work out if they're sweating and looking nervous.
    I certainly feel less safe in the smoke these days, but then I am now only an occasional visitor.

6. As a youngster I assumed that the Army had always been that size, so anything less must (by definition) leave us dangerously exposed. This may not be true, if our forces match the threat.

My mate Joey had liver problems because his mother had tried to get rid of him by drinking a bottle of gin and having a hot bath. It was 1962, and the Cuban missile crisis was going to be the end of the world.

As a spotty 17-year-old I was reasonably sure that we were all going to die in a nuclear war, so the future didn't really matter. I was absolutely positive about this when the USSR invaded Afghanistan. Then I joined the TA, and was reasonably clear that, as a junior officer, my chances of surviving any war were somewhere between nowhere and not much.

Imagine my shock when I woke up one day, 40 years old, in the 21st century, having to make plans for the rest of my life.

Right now there are threats, but we're smart enough to deal with them, most of the time. I feel safer than I think I have ever done.

7. I certainly feel much safer today.

NATO v WP, leading inevitably to instant sunshine all round, no longer a possibility.

With 'peace' in NI I'm no longer a specific terrorist target by dint of occupation or workplace.

A different terrorist threat still exists, but if that happens it is because I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time.

All the rest - immigration, the rising tide of Islam, street crime, house prices, etc, etc. Not worried, reading history makes you fairly relaxed - the 'good old days' never existed and today it isn't nearly as bad as the Daily Mail makes out.

OaC

8. People, we have to have a bogeyman.

Once it was Boney, then "The Hun" swiftly followed by the Red Menace.

Today it's international terrorism and the climate.

That's how non-totalitarian governments control an otherwise too free and dangerously well-informed populace.

9. Could have sworn 1/51 was part of 11 Armd. I'm sure our anti tankers were doing the same AFV as you were!!

10. Let's face it, Hungerford and Dunblane were a God-send for the Authorities. They had been looking for an opportunity to remove as many firearms from the public for ages

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In that case Leon Brittain was the only sensible Home secretary!

12. I didn't feel safe when those SACEUR "Active Edges" (i.e. the ones no-one below Corps knew about in advance) got called at 0200, with the air raid sirens going off all over N Germany......

13. I should say so, we were your A/T platoon! ;)

14. Very sad reading all those regiments that no longer exist.