Did this Vicar snub the Dead Royal Marine Hero?

Did this Vicar snub the Dead Royal Marine Hero?

• No the Church did

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No the Sun made it up

• No the Sun mis-represented the situation

• Yes get with the headline baby!

• Yes check with other media sources

• Muslims planted the story to damage the Cof E

• Yes the vicar is guilty and must be hounded

• The Royal Marines family think he did

• The Royal Marines family think he didn't

• Total voters
I now say -

Is this Vicar guilty or has he been stitched up by the Sun?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350864,00.html
But originally I said something like -

This so called vicar must be removed and should never work in the Church again
To which PTP snappily retorted -
Absolutely!!!!!!!!!! Because the Sun says so. :roll:

PTP.
To which I added the poll, changed the title, added my new opening line (see above) and wrote the below -
Oh, OK then PTP as you wish, though on other threads you have quite wisely pointed out that automatically accepting certain sterotypes concerning the Tabloid media may be counterproductive.

Especially if your fishing for MoD press & pr work :wink:
Which as PTP knows is directed against his comment

I'm actually very serious about this. Give us a project , bang the money in to Arrse HQ, and let's get on it.

Perhaps I'm just getting frustrated by the thinking that those with a degree in media studies from Newton Polyversity are somehow better qualified to present the 'essential picture' than those Arrsers who are posting before cleaning weapons and going off for a shower , hopefully before the mortar alarm goes off?
on this thread;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=74063.html

is everything properly confused now?

As requested PTP

:D

I read about this yesterday, what planet is this guy living on??? this is no way to make a political statement

More to the point how can a religious zealot dictate what the community wants.................again there is no place for religion in a modern world

Kermitpower said:
How on earth can a member of the Church of England claim that this is not "their war"? They are perfectly happy to sit as part of our government organisation in the house of Lords, influencing our country's legislation on no better justification than a belief that a bearded bloke in sandals did a good job of stretching the catering at a party a couple of thousand years.
Well said, i agree completely.

chimp503 said:
Is that email to the chief god bloke or is it to the t**t that made the comment??? just want to know so i can vent my anger proportionately
Not sure that the Almighty is on the Net, but if you read the address it seems to be to the Bishop of Lincoln. Don't bash the bishop too hard, though.

I thought that vicars were supposed to be supportive of their communities? I know the vicar of our village church at home is, and that goes for the people who attend services and those that don't. It certainly seems that it is the community that wants the memorial, after all they raised the money.

I know that there have to be some rules as to what can be done in the church, but if you go to any church and look round you will see plenty of memorials to local people who have died in wars, accidents and even just had plenty of money. I don't think the 'rule' about not being 'our war' is a valid one.

With religion becoming a less important feature in the lives of christians in our country, an idiot like this one isn't exactly doing the church a favour is he. If his superiors want to support him, fine, but I don't think there are many others who will.

Unsworth said:
chimp503 said:
Is that email to the chief god bloke or is it to the t**t that made the comment??? just want to know so i can vent my anger proportionately
Not sure that the Almighty is on the Net, but if you read the address it seems to be to the Bishop of Lincoln. Don't bash the bishop too hard, though.
Correct. It's the Bishop of Lincoln, this vicar's boss.

If anyone is writing, I would recommend focusing on the comment. In looking deeper, it seems that there is a general edict that memorials are only erected on church properties 5 or more years after someone dies, and I guess this is understandable, as otherwise everyone would want a memorial at the moment their loved one dies, and the you wouldn't be able to get to the door because of all the benches in the way.

Focus on the comment, because that is the truly unforgivable part of the matter.

Kermitpower said:
Unsworth said:
chimp503 said:
Correct. It's the Bishop of Lincoln, this vicar's boss.

If anyone is writing, I would recommend focusing on the comment. In looking deeper, it seems that there is a general edict that memorials are only erected on church properties 5 or more years after someone dies, and I guess this is understandable, as otherwise everyone would want a memorial at the moment their loved one dies, and the you wouldn't be able to get to the door because of all the benches in the way.

Focus on the comment, because that is the truly unforgivable part of the matter.

Sent mine off - luckily I did focus on the comment, but also added a bit that should make them both ashamed

My email below. If anyone wants to cut & paste, feel free......

Your Excellency,

I write with regards to the media coverage of the Rev. Mike Page-Chestney's conduct in the matter of the request to place a bench and plaque dedicated to L/Cpl Mathew Ford in his churchyard.

Whilst I fully understand the need for the church to wait 5 years after a person's death before allowing a memorial in their name - I imagine if this was not the case, it would soon become impossible to house all such requests - surely this is all that the vicar needed to explain. If there is any truth to media reports that he told Mathew Ford's mother that the church would not allow such a memorial because the conflict in Afghanistan was not "our war", then this is simply intolerable.

Mathew Ford chose to serve in our country's armed forces. He didn't sign up on the basis that he could choose which wars he fought in and which ones he decided weren't for him. His pledge was unconditional, and this country's support for him and his family should be equally unconditional. The Church of England is the official religion of this country, and this places the church in a privileged position within the workings of the State. The Rev. Page-Chestney has every right to be personally opposed to military operations in Afghanistan, and the politicians who sent L/Cpl Ford to fight there, but being opposed to a government policy does not under any circumstances give him the right to treat the family and memory of L/Cpl Ford with such apparent contempt.

Of course, I have only seen the media's coverage of this story, and I have no doubt your office will be investigating it to determine the exact circumstances. If this story is as a result of a misunderstanding, then I am sure that this will be clarified, but if there is any truth whatsoever to the comments being attributed to Rev. Page-Chestney, then I sincerely hope you will encourage him to do the honourable thing by making a very public apology to L/Cpl Ford's family and the Armed Forces in general as part of a statement of resignation.

I am not myself a Christian, although I strive to exhibit many of what are often termed Christian values. I do not necessarily agree with the views of the Church of England on many things, but I have always had great respect for the Church for keeping alive the memory of the men and women who have given their lives for our country in the past. Please do not allow that respect to be tarnished by one vicar's ill-advised personal comments.

Yours sincerely,

Excellent missive kermitpower. As this story appears to have only been in The Sun it needs to be confirmed. The comments allegedley made by the vicar are wicked if true and un-christian in the extreme. He is not "fit for purpose" if he really speaks to parishoners like that

The people with the power are the Parochial Church Council of St Andrew’s Church, Immingham. (There is also a St Andrew’s in nearby Grimsby).

It seems quite pleasant: “The first known priest of St Andrew's was recorded as Walter, in 1219. The church has Norman pillars and a door in the south aisle and arcade. The 15th century font shows the coat of arms of the Darly family, as at Nocton Priory, Lincoln. The tower has six bells, of which the largest is the tenor made by John Potter 1st of York (1370). The royal coat of arms of King James II (1688) is unique and there are interesting gargoyles (local legends) and graffiti of a whale on the south wall. “

But ….” After many restorations this much-used church has an open plan and is also a music venue.”

There are three CWGC headstones in St Andrew's Churchyard, Immingham, On the right of the three is the stone of Stoker Petty Officer Edward ATTWOOD, HMS Meteor, who was killed in action whilst on board the ship during the Battle of the Dogger Bank on 24th January 1915. His body, with the bodies of three other crew members also killed in the action, was brought back to shore for burial.

The Parochial Church Council consists of the Vicar/Rector and lay members, of whom some are ex-officio members (churchwardens, treasurer, electoral roll officer etc.) and the remainder are elected representatives of the laity. A thriving church will have up to 30 members on the Council. The Council has a Standing Committee and various otehr sub-committees (e.g. Fabric Committee, Mission Committee, maybe also has a Fund-raising Committee for the Church roof).

These people interview and select the vicar. If they have one they don't like they can sack him. We need to find out who they are.

Copying my response from The NAAFI Bar thread:

mingothemongo said:
I normally post under a different name but if you want I could bring this to the attention of the Ginger Ninja at CTC on monday morning.
Sounds like a plan.

Holding back my feelings a little, given that this story is in The Scum and might not be 100% correct, I wonder if LCpl Ford's unit padre too might like to have words with a 'fellow man of God'.

Edited for unintentionally demoting LCpl Ford

disgusting, this 'vicar' baptised my son this weekend, and regulary conducts rememberance services in the many churches that he is vicar of in this area (about 8 i think) but to hear that he has disrespted one of the fallen of his own parsish makes me sick! if that was his own views on this war then they should have stayed his own views...im sure that the parents and family of L/CPL Ford thought that this man was going to be of some support to them espesially after doing there sons funeral service, nothing like kicking someone while there down....the church is no long the community leader it used to be and with comments like his i can see why.

if thet can add L/Cpl Fords name to the town war memerial (which they are) there should be no reason why they can put one in the church...

ok rant over!