Did the RBL use money for this

I agree Archie. Any bits found lying around should be gift wrapped and delivered by Interflora to NOK who should have first dibs on them. Seriously, how do you think medical technology evolves?

Quote "Last night US donor expert Chris Truitt, who campaigns for improved rights for those who donate body parts, said: ‘Many families in America would be horrified to know that entire body parts were being sent to the UK to be blown up in a lab."

Really? As opposed to being dissected, left to decompose in a body farm, used in modern art and numerous other things instead of for research which could maybe lead to better protective equipment for soldiers.

Perhaps the mail would have it's readers believe that people who left their bodies to medical research ended up with them being used to make the stuffing of Pudsey bears.

Last edited:

philc

LE
Medical science and the way forward is maybe not for the sensitive. I am sure these experiments are not done for jollies.

CBIS is government not civvy funded. It wouldn't be within the scope of RBLs charity status.

As for the way it operates, is it ethical? It appears so if a little macabre. Ultimately it's there to develop understanding that will save lives and reduce injuries. Anyone who has an issue with this needs to take the blinkers of and step into the real world.

"Tests conducted at the Royal British Legion Centre for Blast Injury Studies (CBIS) are intended to lead to improvements in military equipment.
The limbs are used to assess the impact of weapons such as the improvised explosive devices which have killed and wounded hundreds of UK troops in Afghanistan."

Thats from the article in a nutshell. The only thing wrong here is the daily wail making a big old song and dance about it that may effect donations to the RBL.

The RBL puts its name to lots of facilities and projects it's the way of raising their profile.

I would rather have seen BLESMA highlighted by CBIS.

offog

LE
I remember some years ago the finger wagging when the RBL built and funded the training centre at Tidworth. Again doing something the MOD should have done, but then doing things that the government should have done was why the RBL came into existence. This seems to be another example of this. If following this research some soldiers do not spend the rest of their lives with bits missing and needing RBL help then they have saved some money.

Very forward thinking of them.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Perhaps the knob that wrote said outrage piece will volunteer himself as a test subject instead

It seems a bit odd that people in other countries donate their body parts to a charity that works to benefit British forces. Most probably they or the NOK have no idea, in which case questions need to be answered.

On the other hand, it's clear the RBL is above questioning on ARRSE.

It seems a bit odd that people in other countries donate their body parts to a charity that works to benefit British forces. Most probably they or the NOK have no idea, in which case questions need to be answered.

If you look around ARRSE, the RBL has come in for some stick in the past on here including from myself on other matters.

This research will provided some important knowledge that could save lives and lessen injuries to our troops who are being asked to place themselves in harms way for us.

All the boxes in the legal process seem to have been ticked by the relevant people. If the RBL are providing funding, then fair play to them.

offog

LE

Not really, when you donate your body you do not have a say in its use (I only want my body to be use for research into cancer in small fluffy children and not research into other nasty things, get real).

They did not donate to the RBL they donated to research and to save cost on funerals (like me, the funeral that is what they do with it I will be past caring).

If you donate your body to science, you don't really care if you end up at this establishment, being processed by med' students or decompossing for the FBI. Whichever it is, it is nothing to do with the NOK, once donated it is nothing to do with anyone accept said establishment.

I'm concerned at the use of imported American limbs - surely these will be bigger/fatter/flabbier than those of British soldiers, and therefore the resultant data may not be valid?

Not really, when you donate your body you do not have a say in its use (I only want my body to be use for research into cancer in small fluffy children and not research into other nasty things, get real).

They did not donate to the RBL they donated to research and to save cost on funerals (like me, the funeral that is what they do with it I will be past caring).

Responsible scientists would disagree with you. Do you remember the furore around Alder Hay Children's Hospital? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Hey_organs_scandal

You might be quite relaxed about your bits being used by a foreign military charity for research, others may be more cautious. Question is, who needs to 'get real' as you say?

Responsible scientists would disagree with you. Do you remember the furore around Alder Hay Children's Hospital? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Hey_organs_scandal

You might be quite relaxed about your bits being used by a foreign military charity for research, others may be more cautious. Question is, who needs to 'get real' as you say?

Think you'll find that in the case of Alder Hey, tissue samples were taken and kept/used, without any consent.

Latest Threads