Did the RAF reg Parachute into SL in 2002

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by ABF9, May 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read in a few diferent threads on hear that the RAF reg droped into Sierra Leon(spelt wrong I know) in 2002.

:? ??????????????????????TRUE or FALSE????????????????? :?
  2. Yes. Once the situation had being secured - obviously!
    They like to class it as an operational jump.
  3. ABF they will no doubt tell you that they did if you ask them, after all they are an elite regt... so they told me.
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I beleive they INTENDED to drop into SL but were informed by their travel agent that all the hotels were pants (something about a war?), so they diverted to the Novotel in the Gambia. Classed as an operational jump as the hotel was occupied at the time by 300 Germans and the British Airways flight crew.
  5. So what was the point of the jump then?
  6. They did.

They didn't declare it as an operational jump; only PJHQ or MOD have the authority to do that. PJHQ tasked it and declared it as an operational jump.

The point was as a UK demonstration of force, in the same way that others fast roped out of Sea Kings/fired HMGs from WMIKs on the beach at Freetown/did low and fast passes over Freetown in Harriers.
  7. Does this the jump in Sierra Leone stand as the last operational jump carried out by British Forces (NON-sf) to date?
  8. No, because the RAF aren't recognised as a "Force" - more of a "group hug". Cnuts.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Do you mean that they are a farce to be reckoned with Badger?
  10. ok then when was the last operational jump for the Airborne forces then.

I have always been told it was Lt Col Chaundler (spelling??) when he lobbed into the south atlantic to take over 2 PARA?

Does this count as an operational jump for a unit?

or do we have to go back to Suez?

Im not really that bothered I just want to distract my mind from thinking about a load of RAF reg fannies going around gobbing off about SL!
  11. Hahahaha excellent.
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Whilst Looking for Info on Lt Col Chaundler's drop I found the following site:

Gavin's Paratroopers

You have to use the Google cached version, as the live site has run out of band width!!

It purports to list and detail every Parachute drop that has been made by any army, and it has some very detailed information.

It does mention Chaundler's drop off into water, as well as the kit that was dropped with him. It does not, however mention the RAF Regt going into Sierra Leone!

Well worth taking a few minutes to read it.

Edited to add:

This made me chuckle:

13. They did so - my mate (cringe) tells me so and he is a rock ape uh uh yeah - so there!
  14. Of course, the RAF Regt isn't part of any army. The giveaway is in the name.
  15. Someone on this Rum Ration para banter that suggest that it was RM that made last para drop. :eek:

P.S scroll dow to a guy called "daggerman" who makes the bold statement.