Did the old 'S' Type engagement count as pensionable service?

Intheshed

Clanker
I'm playing an email game with Glasgow at the moment, whereby I ask two questions and they answer one, but generate more.
Highly frustrating and pointless calling as apparently everyone works from home nowadays.

So....in 1992/3 I did an 18-month S type with a parent unit. Then, in 1998/9 I did a 6-month tour in Bosnia, for which I was mobilised.
Glasgow says: "Mobilised service is pensionable. To qualify for a pension you need to have served for 2 years reckonable service."

Does anyone know if this reckonable service has to be 24 consecutive months?
Does anyone know if the S Type would even qualify?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm playing an email game with Glasgow at the moment, whereby I ask two questions and they answer one, but generate more.
Highly frustrating and pointless calling as apparently everyone works from home nowadays.

So....in 1992/3 I did an 18-month S type with a parent unit. Then, in 1998/9 I did a 6-month tour in Bosnia, for which I was mobilised.
Glasgow says: "Mobilised service is pensionable. To qualify for a pension you need to have served for 2 years reckonable service."

Does anyone know if this reckonable service has to be 24 consecutive months?
Does anyone know if the S Type would even qualify?

Many thanks in advance.
A long time ago, but I did something equivalent (Short Service Volunteer Commission - officer equivalent of S Type) on ops in NI in 91/92 for around a year - and to the best of my knowledge it was non-pensionable at the time.

Intheshed

Clanker
A long time ago, but I did something equivalent (Short Service Volunteer Commission - officer equivalent of S Type) on ops in NI in 91/92 for around a year - and to the best of my knowledge it was non-pensionable at the time.
Thanks....guess I can forget retiring to the Seychelles then!

Stibbon

War Hero
As I recall, the old "S" type engagements were the equivalent of what is now FTRS (Full Commitment) and attracted all the pay, allowances etc of a Regular for it's duration. The vesting period (from age 18 for pension eligibility (as already advised) is 2 years service. I'm unsure about service date aggregation.
The down side however, is that as an S type in the 90's, any pension rights you may have had would have been under the Regular terms ie AFPS 75 since the Reserve Forces Pension Scheme didn't kick in until later. The provisions of this scheme sadly, weren't made retrospective. You may have fallen foul of that. Keep pressing Glasgow for a definitive answer though ... ;) :)

Intheshed

Clanker
As I recall, the old "S" type engagements were the equivalent of what is now FTRS (Full Commitment) and attracted all the pay, allowances etc of a Regular for it's duration. The vesting period (from age 18 for pension eligibility (as already advised) is 2 years service. I'm unsure about service date aggregation.
The down side however, is that as an S type in the 90's, any pension rights you may have had would have been under the Regular terms ie AFPS 75 since the Reserve Forces Pension Scheme didn't kick in until later. The provisions of this scheme sadly, weren't made retrospective. You may have fallen foul of that. Keep pressing Glasgow for a definitive answer though ... ;) :)
Many thanks, will do!

Latest Threads