Did the crew of HMS Cornwall have any other choice?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Dashing_Chap, Dec 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've often pondered whether the captured rig crew of the RN HMS Cornwall had any other choice than to give in to Iranian gunboats. What would you do in their shoes?

BBC NEWS | UK | UK sailors captured at gunpoint

So a mix of RN/RM personnel including 1 woman, all armed with SA80A2, a RN Lynx flying about and a type 22 on the horizon vs a few Iranian gunboats with .50 cal? Bearing in mind of course that the Iranians were at close quarters.

What would be your next move after being surrounded by Iranian gunboats?

Preferably without any mention of ipods.

2. I can see why you got your Oxygen Thief tag. Has it really taken you since 2007 to come up with this thread?
  3. I don't recall anyone coming up with a hypothetical situation for what else they may have done, except some brief speculation at the time. Tho the incident is far enough in the past now to warrant a 'what if' discussion imho.

Forgive me for trying to create a thought provoking thread in the relevant forum section instead of posting inane bollocks, I can see why you're a ****.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OI'll ask batch if you want? He's on my current ship, I'm sure like you he'd be keen to drag up a low point in our service's history.

At the end of the day, matelots arn't trained for that sort of thing, it's what we have marines for- god knows what they were doing there at the time as they weren't doing boarding ops and defiantly wouldn't have been doing anything covert- Sea Specs are trained in trying ropes and chipping rust, not James Bond style secret ops.

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=50.529150,-3.599067
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I had this chat recently actually. Everyone is alive and it's now largely forgotten about so it all worked out for the best.

Obviously it would've been cool if the booties had shot up all the Iranians, but clearly given the circumstances, that wasn't ever going to be on the cards.

6. Dry your eyes princess, in case you haven't noticed this is the Military History forum, not the fecking NAAFI bar. I've no desire to tarnish the name of the RN, but if we're discussing history we can at least try to do it from a serious and unbiased perspective. The RN have enough illustrious history not to be overly concerned with some Mid Eastern raghead telly promotion. In order to participate here try and contribute something without letting your own emotions get in the way. That's called rational debate, welcome to the adult world.
    • Like Like x 1

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

NM - This thread's gratuitous - please don't rise to it.

That said, what does Batch do nowadays when he wants to listen to music?
  8. I suppose if the crew did open fire, not only could an avoidable large-scale war commence, but the crew themselves would be under investigation for a long time by the government.

If i was in those circumstances i would bug out, with an apology of some sorts. Although many Anti-British critics *not finger pointing at certain Americans* will call our military 'pussies'. But, as most of these people are just keyboard jockeys too lazy to go out and exercise, I think we would be alright.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Perhaps some form of Folk Dancing or a game of charades might have been an appropriate response in the circumstances?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. He's a ******* retard. Do you get on?

11. My thoughts also, if we did engage we may have ended up with another war or at the very least a boat load of dead marines/sailors. The fact that we got away safe and well with steady thinking in the heat of the moment should be seen as a moral victory for the RN than a sign of weakness. If anything it's the tabloids back home which had a field day running a crap story with little understanding of the consequences if another course of action were taken.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The capture was not what made the RN look bad. It was the subsequent actions of those detained.

13. Perhaps, but put a bag over someone's head and cock an AK47 next to their ear and I should think most people would brick it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Not so much that, but whinging like tarts to the papers (granted they shouldn't have been allowed to) about trivial shite and then being caught doing this didn't help:

15. The last time I had a SERE/Conduct after capture brief we were told it had been changed because of how some of those captured had acted.