Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did the army consider using German equipment?

the greatest use of horses in any military conflict in history was by the Germans in WWII: 80% of their entire transport was equestrian. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of that fighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armoured or motorized.

Hence the use of large amounts of British equipment captured in France 1940.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Well. I may be overestimating their cunning, but I'm sure that the knowledge of thousands of captured weapons of the same calibre and basic type being available after an invasion was taken into account and these weapons would be very useful for rear echelon units, freeing up the K98s for the front line.
Sorry, I disagree; every other type of weapon was also reused by the Hun to the point of being given Wehrmacht nomenclature and training materials being produced. Mauser rifles were sold everywhere because they were a well tried weapon with a good reputation, and following WW1 any money would have been gratefully received by a German company. Unless you think the Bolivians were next on the list of Adolf's countries to invade? ^_^

QRK2

LE
the greatest use of horses in any military conflict in history was by the Germans in WWII: 80% of their entire transport was equestrian. Despite all the propaganda about Blitzkreig, formidable German R&D, industrial design and production, the day to day mechanics of that fighting force involved an average of 1.1 million horses throughout the war. Of the 322 German divisions in the middle of the war - 1943 - only 52 were armored or motorized.

Hence the use of large amounts of British equipment captured in France 1940.

One thing that was news to me in this was that the German Army actually had a de-mechanisation programme to move units back to horse drawn transport as early as 1940.

Definitely posed. The photographer would be directly in the open. However, re the lack of kit, the British infantry were known to ditch everything bar weapons and a few clips for short patrols in Normandy to aid their mobility. There are even some photos of them fighting in shirtsleeve order.
But sleeves up or down?

This picture is used a lot, however, have you noticed the soldiers are not wearing any sort of equipment not even belt, water bottle or ammo pouches? odd if they are in contact? May be posed PR picture with theme enemy gun turned back on them?
Yes, shoot those evil Frenchies.

This picture is used a lot, however, have you noticed the soldiers are not wearing any sort of equipment not even belt, water bottle or ammo pouches? odd if they are in contact? May be posed PR picture with theme enemy gun turned back on them?
I`d feel very exposed if that was for real , get some sandbags or rocks in front .

Yugo paras used the Stg44 until the late 70's.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
These chaps in Syria were using them in recent years, presumably unaware of the eye-watering prices they would fetch among gun fetishists in the US.

1610884935944.png

Sorry this cunning German plan doesn't quite stack up.

Mauser was a good gun and the Belgians were producing their version made b y FN from 1889. The Czechs also adopted the rifle - from 1920,l buying off the . These weren't quite the same as the Germans K98.

Its a bit like the swedish Bofors, used with manufacturing varoiations by the British Poles and re-used by the Germans.
The Wehrmacht never the less used loads of captured weapons as well as taking stuff direct from the factories. Almost a case of beggars can't be choosers.

But how many survived? Having said that, for a while the East Germans used them, may have even manufactured some until the Sovs made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Enough to provide them to Yugoslavia, some guerillas in the HoA, Iraq....to name only the photographic evidences

Who makes the ammo for these Stg 44's still in use in Syria ?
Could well be East German stuff. The Wehrmacht never had enough of 7.62x33, they were so short of it that there was a standing order not to use full auto.
A mate of mine who has a semi auto StG 44 loads his own or uses Prvi Partizan (Serbian). I somehow doubt that Prvi would sell to Syria, but I may be wrong.

And if you dumped 5,000 on the market at once the price of U$S 5,000 would plummet , surely ?
Which market? I believe that importing into the US is not on the cards and Europe is not ideal for such a weapon. There is already one manufactuer of a semi-auto StGw 44 and it didn't sell that well.

WALT

LE
Who makes the ammo for these Stg 44's still in use in Syria ?

No one. They were discovered with a cache of ammo. When the ammo ran out they were ditched. This is why they were only seen early on in the Syrian conflict.
It's thought they may have come from an old stock from Saddam. He had quite a bit of old German kit.
Wonder were it all is now......?