Did Ronald Reagan win the war?

Did Ronald Reagan win the cold war?

  • Yessiree, single handedly outspending the Kremlin was a stroke of genuis

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way, his foreign policy was based on madness and we were lucky not to get the 4minute warning bel

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no recollection of that Senator

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#1
So, the author Tom Clancy dedicated one of his books to Ronald Reagan - "the man that won the war". Did President Reagan single handedly spot the cold war weak point in Russia and out spend their treasury forcing them to the negotiating table and withdrawing their iron bear paw from the Soviet satellite states allowing a new era of peace and prosperity across Europe or was he simply running a government on behalf of US mega corporations to make big bucks from US tax payers?

 
#2
In short, yes, and I used to believe that this was a good thing, but am now not so sure. The so called "peace dividend" hasnt really paid off the way we thought it might. I for one, miss the good old USSR/Warsaw pact, things were simpler then.
 

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#3
B ugger, I thought I would be the only one to vote yes :cry:

Mind you the true version was Spitting Image - 'The President's Brain is missing'.
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#4
Sleeper_service said:
In short, yes, and I used to believe that this was a good thing, but am now not so sure. The so called "peace dividend" hasnt really paid off the way we thought it might. I for one, miss the good old USSR/Warsaw pact, things were simpler then.
Ah! ze old days. How we laughed during Crusader 80 and Lionheart 84.
 
#5
Crusader!! You've just reminded me! Stuck for a week cammed up under a cherry tree reading rubbish books. Those were the days!!?
 
#7
Yes, but stuff like the Kirkpatrick Doctrine - propping up any regime, no matter how vile, as long as they weren't communists - was pretty unpleasant work...
 
#8
Arfur said:
Yes, but stuff like the Kirkpatrick Doctrine - propping up any regime, no matter how vile, as long as they weren't communists - was pretty unpleasant work...
With regard to Central/South America, it was worthwhile propping up vile fascistic dictatorships, since they were not communist satellite states which could have been aggressive in the US's back yard. The difference to the quality of life of the populations between the two evil types of dictatorship is minimal, so a simple utilitarian argument applies.
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#9
Mr Happy said:
Digging in across the Fulda gap ahhh, those were the days (or was it slightly forward of that Benjimenw1 :wink: )
You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

I did take a wrong turning with a landrover and just avoided being squashed by cloggie leopards at full tilt.
 
#10
He could not have "won" the Cold War because it never really ended.

"New Lies For Old" by Anatoli Golitsyn
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0945001134/?tag=armrumser-20

We are speaking of a country which contributed the terms "Potemkin village" and "disinformation" to our language.

The Russian government is discarding the paraphernalia of a sham republic. The national government is taking over the big industries, the mass media and the appointment of regional governors.

The US government is supplying what the Russian government likely perceives as a steady stream of provocations:

** Integration of former Warsaw Pact members into NATO.

** Apparent attempts to gain control of oil and gas in the Caspian basin.

** Covert manipulation of the Ukrainian election.

** US forces in Georgia, Kazakhstan, and Azerbaijan.

** War with Yugoslavia.

I expect that, before too much longer, the Cold War is going to get hot.

"Did Ronald Reagan win the war?" We should be so lucky. The festivities have barely gotten started.
 
#11
The Soviet Union is dead, Russia's economy is in the toilet, as is the military and few of the independent states formed from the former USSR would ever accept it being reformed. The great communist menace is no more. Deal with it.

Then you might be able to look round and see where the real threats are, instead of looking back nostalgically to the Cold War. Reagan, for all his faults, saw clearly that the way to end it was to outspend them. That he did, and I for one am grateful.
 
#12
Sleeper_service said:
In short, yes, and I used to believe that this was a good thing, but am now not so sure. The so called "peace dividend" hasnt really paid off the way we thought it might. I for one, miss the good old USSR/Warsaw pact, things were simpler then.
That's partly because the efforts that have been put into making China what is today, through "most favoured trading nation status", the set up of Industry from the West, etc, should have gone to Russia and former Soviet Union nations instead.

All we have done is make the former Soviet Union countries desperate, and made the Communist regime of China very wealthy.
 
#13
One_of_the_strange said:
The Soviet Union is dead, Russia's economy is in the toilet, as is the military and few of the independent states formed from the former USSR would ever accept it being reformed. The great communist menace is no more.
Rising prices of oil and precious metals have buoyed their recently moribund economy and swollen their hard currency reserves. The ruble, once mentioned only with a snigger, has risen against the dollar and they are now pegging it to a currency market basket, instead of just the dollar.

They have the most advanced fleet of intercontinental ballistic missiles on the planet.

They have a large, well-articulated civil defense and bomb shelter system.

The air and missile defenses of the capital are rumored to be the best on the planet.

They have constructed what amounts to a subterranean city beneath Yamantau Mountain in the Urals.

They have the world's most sophisticated, deadly supersonic, nuclear-capable anti-shipping cruise missiles.

On the other hand, they no longer have Estonia or Poland.
 
#14
Arfur said:
Yes, but stuff like the Kirkpatrick Doctrine - propping up any regime, no matter how vile, as long as they weren't communists - was pretty unpleasant work...
Don't knock it until you've tried it,boy!!!!
 
#15
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
One_of_the_strange said:
The Soviet Union is dead, Russia's economy is in the toilet, as is the military and few of the independent states formed from the former USSR would ever accept it being reformed. The great communist menace is no more.
Rising prices of oil and precious metals have buoyed their recently moribund economy and swollen their hard currency reserves. The ruble, once mentioned only with a snigger, has risen against the dollar and they are now pegging it to a currency market basket, instead of just the dollar.

They have the most advanced fleet of intercontinental ballistic missiles on the planet.

They have a large, well-articulated civil defense and bomb shelter system.

The air and missile defenses of the capital are rumored to be the best on the planet.

They have constructed what amounts to a subterranean city beneath Yamantau Mountain in the Urals.

They have the world's most sophisticated, deadly supersonic, nuclear-capable anti-shipping cruise missiles.

On the other hand, they no longer have Estonia or Poland.
Have you been there? Have you seen the state of this country?
So what if they have the deadliest this and the deadliest that! They can't afford to pay the men with the fingers on the buttons. They may have a city under a mountain but they can't afford to turn the lights on there. The civil and govt. shelters are the underground metro system.
whilst we're at it, the precious metals and oil, well, they "belong" to either the "mafia" or the guys who jumped in at Yelsin's "Let's sell the country off" jamboree. One of my clients owns a platinum mine amongst other things. I lived and worked there and have family there. the place is a total and utter wreck. Putin plays hard ball but they couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Not because they're militarily incapable but corruption at all levels keeps them far more occupied than looking at the West as bad guys. We have some dollars, invest! Most people I know still snigger about the rubl'
 
#16
The plan to re-arm West Germany, make them man and pay for 12 Mechanized Divisions, plus Corps from the US, UK, Belguim, France and Holland stationed on their soil for 30 + years was divised by General George Marshall shortly after the end of World War 2. Reagan was merely the lucky guy in the White House when the USSR's trying to keep up with the West's Defence spending finally caused them to implode. It could easily have been any of the other Presidents. Even lefty pinko Jimmy Carter. Reagan, by breaking the SALT3 Missile Treaty and the ABM treaties made Armageddon more likely. By blowing up the world he would have ruined the Marshall project just as it was coming into fruition.
Reagan should be remembered as the biggest militarist since Hitler. A 600 ship Navy in Peacetime. Re-activating 4 mothballed Battleships. Re-activating four Army Divisons, and building 100 B1 bombers at a cost of 1 billion dollars each. ( Wouldn't 99 have done ? ) All paid for by a massive deficit budget and crippling welfare cuts. The guy was a freeking nutter, and me and my mates could have ended up in a mass grave on the North German Plain.
 
#17
RCSignals said:
That's partly because the efforts that have been put into making China what is today, through "most favoured trading nation status", the set up of Industry from the West, etc, should have gone to Russia and former Soviet Union nations instead.

All we have done is make the former Soviet Union countries desperate, and made the Communist regime of China very wealthy.
That, RC, sums up what I have thought for a long time.

Now the "sleeping tiger" is starting to flex its muscles with a view to more than commercial dominance.

Give it a few years & we will once again be living in "Interesting Times"
 
#18
mussolini93 said:
The plan to re-arm West Germany, make them man and pay for 12 Mechanized Divisions, plus Corps from the US, UK, Belguim, France and Holland stationed on their soil for 30 + years was divised by General George Marshall shortly after the end of World War 2. Reagan was merely the lucky guy in the White House when the USSR's trying to keep up with the West's Defence spending finally caused them to implode. It could easily have been any of the other Presidents. Even lefty pinko Jimmy Carter. Reagan, by breaking the SALT3 Missile Treaty and the ABM treaties made Armageddon more likely. By blowing up the world he would have ruined the Marshall project just as it was coming into fruition.
Reagan should be remembered as the biggest militarist since Hitler. A 600 ship Navy in Peacetime. Re-activating 4 mothballed Battleships. Re-activating four Army Divisons, and building 100 B1 bombers at a cost of 1 billion dollars each. ( Wouldn't 99 have done ? ) All paid for by a massive deficit budget and crippling welfare cuts. The guy was a freeking nutter, and me and my mates could have ended up in a mass grave on the North German Plain.
It's exactly that military build up what caused the Soviet Union to implode trying to either catch up, or try to change while maintaining their status quo.
It could not have been accomplished under any other President, especially not Jimmy Carter.

The fact that you and your mates did not end up in a mass grave on the North German Plain stands as evidence.
 
#19
Unfortunately it won't let you vote twice..... And I'd need to.

Yes, Reagan, or at least the Reagan administration, caused or expedited the fall of the Soviet Empire.

AND

His foreign policy was insane, it forced realistic consideration of what was going to happen when the keys got turned. Which sobered a few folk. It was the madness of it that worked you see, deterrance only deters when it looks like your fuggin crazy enough to fly the birds and pray for God to guide them.

Golitsyn and his Final Phase, eh? It's a bit freakish I admit, a rather scary piece of modern prophesy. Maybe wishful thinking for the 30 somethings.
 
#20
china is a long way from us and we wont be stagging on in a trench awaiting the red hordes . Russia able to fight a nuclear war lol cant even win in chechyena must have felt real good for themwhen the yanks got simpson into kabul in wot less than 2weeks ?
Reagan won cos he played for keeps scary but true
 

Similar threads

Top