did regular infantry regiments get to do parachute training?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by DaPs, Apr 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone said to me that when he was serving in the Army back in the 70's, that he did parachute training for extra money.

He was in an infantry regiment which has now been amalgamated(The Staffordshire Regiment)

I want to know whether this is true or not. It seems strange to me that any normal infantry regiment, would be able to do training such as this for 'extra money'.

Thanks.

2. You can do parachute training if you are allowed to. It's not difficult.
    What sets apart the Paras is P-company.

I know of AGC clerks who have got jump wings!

4. DaPs :

What your mate says is quite possibly true. Its not uncommon for non-paras to do the course. All the info required is here:

http://www.army.mod.uk/para/pegasus_p_company.htm

P Coy run 3 separate PPS courses. These are:

1. Parachute Regiment Recruit PPS (approx 9 per year)

2. All Arm Regular PPS (6 per year)

3. TA Parachute Regiment/TA All-Arms PPS (3 per year)

5. It is possible... Anyone from the British Army can do All Arms P-Coy. From Chefs to Infantry Soldiers.

A lot of the time it depends who you are serving with but you can apply anytime from any unit.

Hope that helps?

6. Thanks for that, sounds good.

I have got myself on the two day taster course for the Paras, just to get myself involved with the Army abit.

Not sure about joining them, but it will help me settle in when i join soon.

Thanks for the help, great forum, full of knowledge!