Did Obama Abandon the Navy Seals in Benghazi?

A story is beginning to emerge in the US papers that the White House situation room followed to attack on the consulate in Benghazi by a reaper cam. It goes on to say that one of the Seals (both of which were sadly to lose their lives) was able to paint a laser onto the mortar position which eventually did for them.

It makes some rather worrying assertions that Obama refused to commit a rescue force or even deploy air assets to assist the defenders of the embassy.

Obama continues to refuse to answer any questions at all on the subject..........

If there is even a whiff of truth in all this then Obama deserves to lose and by a wide margin next week.

When we now know of the technology used and how they were able to follow the Bin Laden operation live in the White House one does have to wonder if these lives have been sacrificed for political reasons.

There is some pretty bad feeling going around in the US military right now and understandably...

ALLARD: Obama knew about the attack, ignored three requests for help - Washington Times

Some of the comments following the story are quite revealing!!

I'm not pretending to know what happened, but that piece is not a story.It is a leader/editorial/column opinion written by someone who is obviously partisan.

one does have to wonder if these lives have been sacrificed for political reasons.
Whilst any politician worth his salt would be more than willing to skin his Granny for a handful of votes, I cannot for the life of me fathom what 'political reasons' the President would have for allowing his people to be murdered.

I would have thought that riding to the rescue in the nick of time would be more their sort of thing.

G

goatrutar

Whilst any politician worth his salt would be more than willing to skin his Granny for a handful of votes, I cannot for the life of me fathom what 'political reasons' the President would have for allowing his people to be murdered.

I would have thought that riding to the rescue in the nick of time would be more their sort of thing.
What he said.

No wonder with a neck and neck and election days imminent. The political black arts teams are hard at it as some dirt and allegations are bound to stick. This cunning plan gets Romney the Armed Forces vote; soon it will be Romney ate my hamster and the greens all flock to Obama.
Mind you I wouldn’t put it past Obama to have reacted this way. As Churchill said when the landings happened at Anzio of the American General “I had hoped that we were hurling a wild cat on to the shore, but all we got was a stranded whale." That has been Obama’s legacy for me, so much expected but sadly not a lot delivered.

Obama is incredibly risk averse..... He feared another Blackhawk down and the poor media it would give him a few short weeks prior to the election..

Obama is incredibly risk averse..... He feared another Blackhawk down and the poor media it would give him a few short weeks prior to the election..
The raid on Bin Laden was hardly risk-averse.

And that would be worse 'media' than leaving his own people to be murdered by savages? Come on.
Assuming for a moment this is the case then to date they have kept quite a tight lid on it coverage wise.

Obama may have some history of deceiving the press, lets not forget the controversy over his place of birth which still rages on to this day.

I disagree, they had days to recce the ground and would have deployed whatever assets they needed, they knew exactly what they were up against before the first bodies were off the chopper.

The raid on Bin Laden was hardly risk-averse.
That is true, but he had the time and the nation behind him it was a vote winner and Bin Laden was the anti Christ so some casualties in his capture/death was acceptable. Now going into a shit fest like Benghazi with sheds loads of hostile natives on the ground is another matter and the Blackhawk down memory is quite scary for the US of A so hence their reticence.

But that was planned in advance.

If it all happened a bit too quickly. It could have been worse sending in a ad-hoc rescue team, turning a difficult situation into a bloodbath.
They did send an ad-hoc rescue team, from Tripoli. The accusation I have seen is that there were troops and aircraft in Sicily ready to go and someone in Washington wouldn't give them permission to go as they didn't want to offend the Libyans by sending in additional troops without their consent.

The other accusation is that the people in the other government compound in Benghazi were told to sit tight and not go to the consulate compound as it was too dangerous. Some of them blew that off and went anyway and were able to rescue some of the State Dept people and recover one of the bodies.

Other than a few nutters I haven't seen anyone accuse them of leaving the Ambassador to die deliberately just that they dithered and wouldn't make the decision to deploy the assets that the people on the ground were asking for that might have saved lives.

That and the accusation that requests for additional security in the weeks running up to the incident were repeatedly denied for political reasons.

There is an inquiry going on but oddly enough it won't report until after the election.

Just a coincidence that this allegation is being raised days before election day?

Right wing fruit-loons attempting a smear and timed beautifully!

Just a coincidence that this allegation is being raised days before election day?

Right wing fruit-loons attempting a smear and timed beautifully!

Or an ineffectual CIC whose sins have found him out an an (in)opportune moment?

Dirty business politics.

There were aircraft in italy and apprantly special forces on route to italy.
the idea that even SOCOM could get a viable rescue force together on a friday evening brief them fly into a country getting diplomatic permission bit embarrasing if you end up like the egyptian commandos
Unit 777 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh very going all jump,on red and macho but if you end up in a firefight with friendlies or at least the wrong bad guys. You achieve nothing.