Did Obama Abandon the Navy Seals in Benghazi?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, Oct 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A story is beginning to emerge in the US papers that the White House situation room followed to attack on the consulate in Benghazi by a reaper cam. It goes on to say that one of the Seals (both of which were sadly to lose their lives) was able to paint a laser onto the mortar position which eventually did for them.

It makes some rather worrying assertions that Obama refused to commit a rescue force or even deploy air assets to assist the defenders of the embassy.

Obama continues to refuse to answer any questions at all on the subject..........

If there is even a whiff of truth in all this then Obama deserves to lose and by a wide margin next week.

When we now know of the technology used and how they were able to follow the Bin Laden operation live in the White House one does have to wonder if these lives have been sacrificed for political reasons.

There is some pretty bad feeling going around in the US military right now and understandably...

ALLARD: Obama knew about the attack, ignored three requests for help - Washington Times

Some of the comments following the story are quite revealing!!
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

3. I'm not pretending to know what happened, but that piece is not a story.It is a leader/editorial/column opinion written by someone who is obviously partisan.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. When do non-signature's of any government official-secrets acts, need to know things above their vetted status ?
  5. Whilst any politician worth his salt would be more than willing to skin his Granny for a handful of votes, I cannot for the life of me fathom what 'political reasons' the President would have for allowing his people to be murdered.

I would have thought that riding to the rescue in the nick of time would be more their sort of thing.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. What he said.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. No wonder with a neck and neck and election days imminent. The political black arts teams are hard at it as some dirt and allegations are bound to stick. This cunning plan gets Romney the Armed Forces vote; soon it will be Romney ate my hamster and the greens all flock to Obama.
    Mind you I wouldn’t put it past Obama to have reacted this way. As Churchill said when the landings happened at Anzio of the American General “I had hoped that we were hurling a wild cat on to the shore, but all we got was a stranded whale." That has been Obama’s legacy for me, so much expected but sadly not a lot delivered.
  8. Obama is incredibly risk averse..... He feared another Blackhawk down and the poor media it would give him a few short weeks prior to the election..
  9. And that would be worse 'media' than leaving his own people to be murdered by savages? Come on.
  10. The raid on Bin Laden was hardly risk-averse.
  11. Assuming for a moment this is the case then to date they have kept quite a tight lid on it coverage wise.

Obama may have some history of deceiving the press, lets not forget the controversy over his place of birth which still rages on to this day.
  12. It does appear that Obama dithered somewhat and tried to avoid taking responsiblity before finally biting the bullet
  13. I disagree, they had days to recce the ground and would have deployed whatever assets they needed, they knew exactly what they were up against before the first bodies were off the chopper.
  14. But that was planned in advance.

If it all happened a bit too quickly. It could have been worse sending in a ad-hoc rescue team, turning a difficult situation into a bloodbath.
  15. No it doesn't, apart from in the fevered imaginations of a few nutcases like Donald Trump and Bubba-Bob Shitkicker.
    • Like Like x 7