• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Did not qualify for OP TOSCA medal

hi all,

i was recently on op tosca but came back early for compassionate reasons and i was told that i do not qualify for the medal as i was 12 days short. asking around my admin people in the regiment they have told me that i still get the medal as i came home for compassionate leave and they are not to take them days away from my tour as on of the jsp states it (in line with Casvac). so does any one know if this is true because if so i have qualified by 2 days as tosca you have to serve 90 days.

damien

As far as I know you serve 90 days, bust.

I know there are exceptions for reduced service in JSP 761 but these are for if qualifying service is brought to an end before the completion of the specified qualifying period on account of death, wounding or other disability due to operational service. They also seem to be for British medals. The UN appear to make no such exemption I can see.

Compassionate doesn't seem to figure - the way I read it, you'd have to do another 90 days, but you may want to take it up with the Medal Office directly:

From JSP 761

Note: UN medals should be applied for whilst serving in the theatre of operations directly from UN HQ in theatre. Those who do not receive their medals in theatre may apply for them through the MOD Medal Office. This service is only available for 12 months after leaving theatre. Replacements are only available 5 years after the operation has ceased.

hi all,

i was recently on op tosca but came back early for compassionate reasons and i was told that i do not qualify for the medal as i was 12 days short. asking around my admin people in the regiment they have told me that i still get the medal as i came home for compassionate leave and they are not to take them days away from my tour as on of the jsp states it (in line with Casvac). so does any one know if this is true because if so i have qualified by 2 days as tosca you have to serve 90 days.

damien
Thats a bit tight really...I heard of a Crab who got a tosca AND a Granby gong on the same tour.

I miss out on my ACSM by 6 days, because I got blown up. If I'd been smegged a week later I'd have received it.

Shit happens, it's not the end of the world.

hi all,

damien
F*cken hell, you go on holiday for a while and also expect a medal!

90 days?

I spent 4745 days on Operation Defence of the Rhine. Where's my NDM?
Thought you were looking for the Cold War Medal, not the National Defense Medal ? :? Anyway, I've got 7300 days on duty keeping the Russian Bear out of the Fulda Gap so that trumps your 4745 days, you nig.
(And I've got the liver and W.C. Fields nose to prove it. ;-) )

Thought you were looking for the Cold War Medal, not the National Defense Medal ? :? Anyway, I've got 7300 days on duty keeping the Russian Bear out of the Fulda Gap so that trumps your 4745 days, you nig.
(And I've got the liver and W.C. Fields nose to prove it. ;-) )
4380....I managed 3650 elsewhere, which is almost certainly why my liver still works on its own.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Look! I fought and died for my country during the cold war an all i got to show for it are two lousy VC's yet I was promised unlimited beer and women if I signed up .

Latest Threads