Did George Brown and the Labour Government unleash the present gambling explosion in Britain.

That is a turn up. Most of the shop lifters I took into custody from store detectives had drug habits. Around Camberwell, and The Elephant, it was expensive bottles of vitamins and razor blades which they sold cheap to stall holders in East Street and the well at the Elephant itself.
It's become noticeable as a reason given over the last few years.
Couple of the beggars I used to deal with in my last job would be in the bookies as soon as they got a couple of quid.

It's become noticeable as a reason given over the last few years.
Couple of the beggars I used to deal with in my last job would be in the bookies as soon as they got a couple of quid.
We may have discovered the imperfect cure for heroin addiction mate.

Or... that gambling addiction and heroin addiction are remarkably similar, with and equally bad impact on social order.

idlerx

Swinger
I met George Brown once . He was very "happy". He had one maxim that other politicians would do well to remember - "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Haven't bought a lottery ticket for over 25 years. Have never been in a betting shop, nor bet online.
I haven't either but I did find that investing in some shares for a couple of online gambling companies did pay off nicely when I sold them... ;-)

Dr Death

War Hero
I bet GB had it on good odds it would do well?

Can you see his IP? If so, how/where? I thought that was a privilege restricted to the Mods.
The user name appears here:

. . . in fact, I got it slightly wrong in that others have pinged his usual contact email ( ryanchurchilltnd@yahoo.com ) to Moldova and not Rumania - my bad.

ETA: I can also access laptop/desktop cams, too - you might want to tidy up your . . . errm . . . tissue collection, chap.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Who is George Brown; is he Gordon's older brother?

Who is George Brown; is he Gordon's older brother?
I thought George Brown was last in government in the 1970s. He was renowned for liking a drink then, if he is still in the Commons then he is an example to us all.

George Brown (later Baron George-Brown). Resigned as Foreign Secretary in 1968 (one of his many drunken resignations which he expected Harold Wilson to refuse. This time, he didn't...).

Lost his seat in the 1970 General Election. Despite suggesting that he'd contest it at the next GE (which, when he made the speech, would've been no later than 1975) when making his concession speech at the count, he decided within a few days that he wouldn't seek to return to the Commons and instead took a Life Peerage in Wilson's dissolution honours list. Died of cirrhosis of the liver in the mid 80s, aged about 70-71 (I'm sure wiki will provide the dates if anyone can be arrsed to look...)

I thought George Brown was last in government in the 1970s. He was renowned for liking a drink then, if he is still in the Commons then he is an example to us all.
For whom the phrase, ' . . . appeared tired and emotional . . . ' was coined when he gave a car-crash TV interview having refreshed well during the period before said interview :cool:

George Brown (later Baron George-Brown). Resigned as Foreign Secretary in 1968 (one of his many drunken resignations which he expected Harold Wilson to refuse. This time, he didn't...).

Lost his seat in the 1970 General Election. Despite suggesting that he'd contest it at the next GE (which, when he made the speech, would've been no later than 1975) when making his concession speech at the count, he decided within a few days that he wouldn't seek to return to the Commons and instead took a Life Peerage in Wilson's dissolution honours list. Died of cirrhosis of the liver in the mid 80s, aged about 70-71 (I'm sure wiki will provide the dates if anyone can be arrsed to look...)
That’s the chap. So who’s the other Brown chap referred to above?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
But do you have a 17.5" boxers bicep, though...?
A 17½" boxer won't have big biceps. A 12" pianist, however...