Did Argentina drop napalm on there own dead??

This takes the cake. And the authors credibility.
The trouble is that the ‘over egging the pudding’ and unsubstantiated claims made in the book take away from the aim which was to set the record straight.

It seems that the book by Mike Norman and Michael Jones is the one to read regarding NP8901, judging by the comments from those that were there.

This 'merc' rumour was around in 1992. And that's exactly how it was explained then.
It predates 1992, I first heard it in the mid-80's. And I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a book - "Rainbow Soldiers" - which might be where it started*.

*Or not. Rainbow Soldiers was of course a work of 'faction'; fictional characters and units based on composites of real people and units, set during the Falklands War. It also has the scene of a medic shooting a horrendously injured Argentinian solider (with the two witnesses agreeing it was the bravest act they had ever seen). Well worth a read, as he captures "squaddies" pretty much perfectly (esp a troop run the morning after a night on the wazz!)

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
It predates 1992, I first heard it in the mid-80's. And I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a book - "Rainbow Soldiers" - which might be where it started*.

*Or not. Rainbow Soldiers was of course a work of 'faction'; fictional characters and units based on composites of real people and units, set during the Falklands War. It also has the scene of a medic shooting a horrendously injured Argentinian solider (with the two witnesses agreeing it was the bravest act they had ever seen). Well worth a read, as he captures "squaddies" pretty much perfectly (esp a troop run the morning after a night on the wazz!)
Also mentioned in 'Don't Cry for me Sergeant Major' published in the 80s.

Also mentioned in 'Don't Cry for me Sergeant Major' published in the 80s.
1983, and the funniest book I have ever read. Was howling from start to finish.

I had a vague memory that it was, but my copy is missing pages 80-150 or summat (as printed!) and couldn't confirm it.

It is important to at least offer the stage up to it though. Arrse has always been a tough crowd for people peddling nonsense but equally we are always open to an interesting debate or topic..... and to mercilessly mock fibbers.
And the thing is, there's usually someone who actually knows the subject pretty f'kin well. So bullshitters usually get torpedoed quick sharp, and wind up digging themselves a deeper hole.

The trouble is that the ‘over egging the pudding’ and unsubstantiated claims made in the book take away from the aim which was to set the record straight.

It seems that the book by Mike Norman and Michael Jones is the one to read regarding NP8901, judging by the comments from those that were there.
Agreed again.

I remember reading "Too Few Too Far: The True Story of a Royal Marine Commando" by George Thomsen about his experiences in the intiial scrap for South Georgia. Was quite fascinating, though I can't say how accurate or true it is as I wasn't there. It was an excellent read though and make me wonder, given how ballsy and extroadinary so much of the human effort was during the Falklands War, why people like Ricky et al feel the need to make stuff up and/or spread nonsense.

I remember reading "Too Few Too Far: The True Story of a Royal Marine Commando" by George Thomsen about his experiences in the intiial scrap for South Georgia. Was quite fascinating, though I can't say how accurate or true it is as I wasn't there. It was an excellent read though and make me wonder, given how ballsy and extroadinary so much of the human effort was during the Falklands War, why people like Ricky et al feel the need to make stuff up and/or spread nonsense.
Given by his use of terms like ‘Royal’ normally a RM to RM thing, and his calling me ‘oppo’ I think he desperately needs to feel like he belongs to something. It’s no shame not to have got in because of injury, but he still clearly feels that he belongs to an organisation that he doesn’t.

It’s the same with claims like ‘I was the only person to stand up for these ‘Royals’’, with is demonstrable nonsense.

Good question, well presented when you get the answer let us know. You need to bear in mind that during the years of the Junta hundreds if not thousands of people were disappeared and relatives are still seeking the missing.
Mark , generous pensions are paid these days to the families of the disappeared . If someone's relative had not come back from the conflict ,or simply disappeared at the time of the dictatorship , they would have let the civilian government , particularly the Fernandez de Kirchner administration , know years ago . Another point worth noting is that the Argentine marine's military service was 2 years , not the one for the army , so concealing deaths would have been well nigh impossible . Some of the army's conscripts were literally a mix of week 3 recruits and 12 month served men called back to the colours , so some confusion could arise , but I doubt this would have happened in the marines , where they were into the second year of their service .
Lastly , a civilian government would be only too pleased to heap yet more shame and humiliation on the military dictatorship , so any allegations of a cover up would be have been gleefully exploited by any of the post 1983 civil administrations
@Nico Caviglia makes this point better than I do .

The (some) media did depict them as giving up without a fight--- and some MP stated as such in parliament.
I knew and worked previously(and later) with some of the guys who were at both Grytviken and FI at the invasion time. I spoke to old colleagues who were NP8901 on Fearless after they joined at Ascenscion. One held up 3 fingers when asked if he'd shot any Argentinians(he is mentioned earlier in this thread ref two RM shooting at troops advancing over rocks)-- I have no doubt he was telling the truth(Accomplished sniper/kills in Borneo/NI-- His ex sniper oppo from 70's was later one of the team of THEM dropped into mainland Argentina/Chile).Another fired a burst from GPMG at the corner of a wooden fence in Stanley-- the covered from view but not from fire soldier dropped his weapon and his arms flailed out(OK -not confirmed) Also the Amtrack Charlie G ------- hit but no troops seen. At Government house Argie assault force suffered at least one dead---- Cpl Mick Sellen RM (R.I.P.)attempted to help him,but the guy was holding a grenade and also there was incoming fire. Blokes I knew and respected reckoned they'd kia'd 5 or 6 Argentinians-------No one knows about how many or if any in the Amtrack or were wounded.

Nobody(RM) ever mention hundreds of Argentinian troops killed.

The "**** off you spick basssas" from the detachment Sgt Major was also mentioned. ;)

We need the guys who were there at that time to speak up.
From both sides ….

Footage of the Argentine invasion. The first couple of minutes show how tightly packed the landing craft were.
2m:40s shows RPG damage to the gable end of a building. Does anyone know if that is Moody Brook barracks?
If so that kind of goes against the story of little or no damage to the barracks.

I have no doubt that NP8901 put up a brave and professional defence with what little they had. I also agree with @Archimedes that the true nature of that defence was suppressed because of diplomatic concerns at the time.

I do however have concerns about wild claims that 100's of Argentinian soldiers were killed during the initial invasion and that their bodies were burnt using napalm on Tussac Island (which are in fact 2 islands).

All the same this is a fascinating thread and I would like to hear more from Mne Gibbs.
I am particularlyinterested in the story that the inavasion was known about in advance. Were you aware of the impending invasion and if so how long did you have to prepare?
The first segment is an exercise , not the actual landing .
It's not light at 4am and the countryside looks like the Argentine mainland .
The Higgins boats ( or whatever their nomenclature ) weren't used in the actual landing , according to posts a few pages back .
4.22 " The Royal Marines lacked motivation " says the rather bombastic Buzo Tactico .
If I were in a reinforced platoon , defending some islands the size of Wales ,without any possibility of reinforcement , and a brigade of marine infantry supported by heavy weapons , armour and air assets turned up , I think most of us would " lack motivation " !

The first segment is an exercise , not the actual landing .
It's not light at 4am and the countryside looks like the Argentine mainland .
The Higgins boats ( or whatever their nomenclature ) weren't used in the actual landing , according to posts a few pages back .
4.22 " The Royal Marines lacked motivation " says the rather bombastic Buzo Tactico .
If I were in a reinforced platoon , defending some islands the size of Wales ,without any possibility of reinforcement , and a brigade of marine infantry supported by heavy weapons , armour and air assets turned up , I think most of us would " lack motivation " !
The exercise took place on the Valdés Peninsular, IIRC. It has similarities to the islands. A quick search in google maps and you can easily find it.

Mark , generous pensions are paid these days to the families of the disappeared . If someone's relative had not come back from the conflict ,or simply disappeared at the time of the dictatorship , they would have let the civilian government , particularly the Fernandez de Kirchner administration , know years ago . Another point worth noting is that the Argentine marine's military service was 2 years , not the one for the army , so concealing deaths would have been well nigh impossible . Some of the army's conscripts were literally a mix of week 3 recruits and 12 month served men called back to the colours , so some confusion could arise , but I doubt this would have happened in the marines , where they were into the second year of their service .
Lastly , a civilian government would be only too pleased to heap yet more shame and humiliation on the military dictatorship , so any allegations of a cover up would be have been gleefully exploited by any of the post 1983 civil administrations
@Nico Caviglia makes this point better than I do .
An often repeated claim by Ricky and his supporters is that the Junta made hundreds if not thousands of their citizens (and some from other countries too - which was why Astiz was wanted by third parties and not sent back with the other POWs) disappear.

This is another untrue statement. They might have successfully murdered large numbers of their opponents, but these people never disappeared, and least not in the hearts and memories of their friends and loved ones. Maybe their remains were never recovered, but they certainly didn’t disappear into thin air any more than the 100s of hidden British dead some of the more lunatic Argentinians claim.

I don’t think any government can successfully suppress the disappearance without a trace of large numbers of its citizens without creating waves, rumour and protest.... as seen in Argentina at the time of the Junta itself.

Last edited: