Did Argentina drop napalm on there own dead??

I have no inclination to re-read the book in full, but from memory the first hand accounts from Booties who were involved suggest casualties in the same order of magnitude as those shown in the after action report above.

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of Mike Norman's book for comparison and have downloaded John Alden's.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What is interesting, and illustrates the way stories get inflated when retold is the author claims nearly 100 Argentinians were killed or injured. Quite possibly.

The 'soaraway' Sun, inaccurately quotes the author and flatly claims "100 were killed".

Major Mike Norman Royal Marines, who submitted the post incident report, written immediately after the invasion claimed 5 killed, 17 wounded:

View attachment 340944
6 and a half thousand rounds for 22 casualties is not bad going compared to some more modern conflicts,

British forces fired 46 MILLION bullets at the Taliban: 10,000 rounds were shot every day during eight year conflict at cost of £200million to the taxpayer | Daily Mail Online

Based upon hospital records and reports from the hospital staff on duty, and factoring in those bodies seen and confirmed by multiple witnesses, including in their private diaries, the figure adds up. Hugh Bicheno, with MI6 in Buenos Aires, intercepted radio transmission stating "dozens of dead" and even a number of Argentine nurses wrote a book about their wartime experiences recently, where they all state that they were rushed in to deal with the emergency of all of the casualties from the invasion... if the Argentine reports be believed, that was two men. You mobilise loads of extra nurses in an emergency for two men? No....

The count of casualties is certainly accurate going by the Royal Marines' own report and accounts, from the evidence and outright proof found, and from multiple cross-testimony, and anyone in Stanley will tell you it was at least 60 as will any of those Royals. Their average quote comes in at between 60-100. Difference is, I counted.

So it's easy to write something off, but truth is, nobody published their version. You ask those Royals and they'll tell you exactly the same thing.

Based upon hospital records and reports from the hospital staff on duty, and factoring in those bodies seen and confirmed by multiple witnesses, including in their private diaries, the figure adds up. Hugh Bicheno, with MI6 in Buenos Aires, intercepted radio transmission stating "dozens of dead" and even a number of Argentine nurses wrote a book about their wartime experiences recently, where they all state that they were rushed in to deal with the emergency of all of the casualties from the invasion... if the Argentine reports be believed, that was two men. You mobilise loads of extra nurses in an emergency for two men? No....

The count of casualties is certainly accurate going by the Royal Marines' own report and accounts, from the evidence and outright proof found, and from multiple cross-testimony, and anyone in Stanley will tell you it was at least 60 as will any of those Royals. Their average quote comes in at between 60-100. Difference is, I counted.

So it's easy to write something off, but truth is, nobody published their version. You ask those Royals and they'll tell you exactly the same thing.
I'll believe you when you provide primary evidence of any of the above. Given the overwhelming weight of the circumstantial, it should surely be easy to print photographic copies of the hospital records, name a few of those killed, interview their families, perhaps even quote the title/ISBN of the book written by the nurses.

Did Mike Norman contribute anything?

What is interesting, and illustrates the way stories get inflated when retold is the author claims nearly 100 Argentinians were killed or injured. Quite possibly.

The 'soaraway' Sun, inaccurately quotes the author and flatly claims "100 were killed".

Major Mike Norman Royal Marines, who submitted the post incident report, written immediately after the invasion claimed 5 killed, 17 wounded:

View attachment 340944
This document recently appeared on the Quora website (a site where many incredibly stupid questions are asked), the poster who posted it was saying how Britain hid its losses. He mentioned the '100 killed' by the Marines after the initial invasion, plus hidden Harrier losses and two hidden Seaking losses.

The name of the poster sounded somewhat familiar.
Perhaps he would like to talk about the 'shot up' seakings and harriers on this site?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The name of the poster sounded somewhat familiar.
Perhaps he would like to talk about the 'shot up' seakings and harriers on this site?
Don't leave me in suspense, which clown ?

Nah, thats a picture of the aftermath of my troop's GPMG range day - when they forgot to take the tracer out of the link.

p.s. good physical exercise, running around km2 of tussock grass with jerrycans of water, trying to put out all the peat fires....
50 cal from a Ma Deuce is good for setting fires too. ;-)

How would they come up with that number as actually fired?

I have the sneaky feeling they just count the 5.56 sent to units and which are not turned back in as fired, not taking into account it may be turned over to the next unit

Perhaps some of the Royals on here can add credence to your claims, I'm surprised no-one has already, to be honest.

Like you, I wasn't there at that time, but I was only a few weeks later and returned a good many times after the conflict. Not once did I hear your story.

What makes it so unbelievable is simply the fact that despite all the other rumours and legends, this particular one waa never heard of until someone published a book about it several decades later.

I call bull sh*t.

Perhaps some of the Royals on here can add credence to your claims, I'm surprised no-one has already, to be honest.

Like you, I wasn't there at that time, but I was only a few weeks later and returned a good many times after the conflict. Not once did I hear your story.

What makes it so unbelievable is simply the fact that despite all the other rumours and legends, this particular one waa never heard of until someone published a book about it several decades later.
He lost me when he said MI6 were intercepting radio transmissions.

There’s also the complete lack of evidence

He lost me when he said MI6 were intercepting radio transmissions.

There’s also the complete lack of evidence
Or reason why the Royal Marines and British Government would want to conceal such an impressive military achievement by NP8901, prior to being ordered to lay down their weapons.

Their achievent was impressive enough without the need to exaggerate the facts three decades later whilst claiming there was a conspiracy which still exists after the 30 year rule allowed publication of secret documents.

I'd not suggest there were not more casualities than the five confirmed at the time, but not 20 times that figure.

Still bollix until forensic evidence backs up the claim.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Or reason why the Royal Marines and British Government would want to conceal such an impressive military achievement by NP8901, prior to being ordered to lay down their weapons.

Their achievent was impressive enough without the need to exaggerate the facts three decades later whilst claiming there was a conspiracy which still exists after the 30 year rule allowed publication of secret documents.

I'd not suggest there were not more casualities than the five confirmed at the time, but not 20 times that figure.

Still bollix until forensic evidence backs up the claim.
Perfectly put.

Interestingly some of the ones who were there were on the same battlefield study as me in March. They didn’t say the same thing.... and neither did any of the locals in Stanley.

Last edited:
Don't leave me in suspense, which clown ?
Sorry, I wasn't being cryptic, and can't find the posts now, but the name was familiar, mentioned the 100 dead, talked of cover ups and had written a book.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sorry, I wasn't being cryptic, and can't find the posts now, but the name was familiar, mentioned the 100 dead, talked of cover ups and had written a book.
Bet he wants that book to sell too, huh ?

Bet he wants that book to sell too, huh ?
Right, found the post.
I got the posters and comments wrong.
I think the issue is that I almost always just skim read Quora to pass time, it's a site with questions like:
How many years are in a leap year.
Or
Why didn't the Germans use the channel tunnel to invade the UK.
With the above in mind I rarely study the answers in detail.

While Ricky Philips did post replies in the thread I looked at it was a poster called 'Paul Neri' who made many claims of cover ups.

A book to sell?
Who would have thought.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'll believe you when you provide primary evidence of any of the above. Given the overwhelming weight of the circumstantial, it should surely be easy to print photographic copies of the hospital records, name a few of those killed, interview their families, perhaps even quote the title/ISBN of the book written by the nurses.

Did Mike Norman contribute anything?
I don't think we'll be hearing any more from @RickyDPhillips, at least not with a post providing any of the evidence you've mentioned.