Did Argentina drop napalm on there own dead??

Sttrory

Old-Salt
On this day in 1982 Argentina dropped napalm onto the bodies of almost 100 men killed in the April 2nd invasion to deny having lost them... Ricky Phillips on Twitter

Bloke on Twitter saying it happened but not heard this before???

Anyone

syrup

LE
I didn't think they'd dropped any napalm.
I'm sure there was reports post conflict showing it sitting at the airfield unused.
Plus wouldn't there be evidence?
Scorched earth to start with plus the remains of the bodies.

Too many people Argie's Brit's and Falklanders kicking about for something like that not to surface before now.

Last edited:
Napalm stocks found at Goose Green but not decanted into dropping tanks which were also found. If any evidence of usage had been discovered it would have been big news at the time.

I didn't think they'd dropped any napalm.
I'm sure there was reports post conflict showing it sitting at the airfield unused.
Plus wouldn't there be evidence?
Scorched earth to start with plus the remains of the bodies.

Too many people Argie's Brit's and Falklanders kicking about for something like that not to surface before now.
Didn't they drop some during battle of Goose Green? But, thankfully, missed?

syrup

LE
Didn't they drop some during battle of Goose Green? But, thankfully, missed?
I didn't think they'd had time the stuff was there but they didn't get it loaded up as @Edwardian Fred says above.
I seem to remember film from Goose at the time showing the stocks sitting unused.

Ther old brigade will be sitting up soon with their tea and paper once nurse has dispensed their medicine they'll be along to help

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Apparently it's "proven fact."
Either that or total bollocks.

He'll answer questions by Twitter PM, but not, one supposes, on open forum.
Shame that as it'd be most informative if Mr Phillips could elucidate for the thick squaddies on these fora.
I imagine #RickyPhillips does look into here from time to time, being a military historian and all that.

syrup

LE
Isn't the picture of the "proven fact" the same picture that was released after the Harrier raid.
So we counted themn al out and all back again while the Argentine Airforce dropped Napalm on their own troops.

Hardly worth us turning up with their own Airforce working so hard for us.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You'd have thought somebody would have mentioned it in passing, what with there being the odd book or so from all sides

syrup

LE
You'd have thought somebody would have mentioned it in passing, what with there being the odd book or so from all sides
Also you'd have thought someone one here might have dropped a h8int or two since we do have people who served there.

IIRC the canisters at Goose Green were unfilled.

Apparently they weren't in the best of conditions, salt water corrosion from the ship over and then left out in the wild conditions of the Falklands.

So if they had been filled, they'd either have gone up in the ammo compound, or exploded on the plane...

The Napalm was still in its constituent ingredients in plastic 25 litre drums IIRC.

4(T)

LE

Nah, thats a picture of the aftermath of my troop's GPMG range day - when they forgot to take the tracer out of the link.

p.s. good physical exercise, running around km2 of tussock grass with jerrycans of water, trying to put out all the peat fires....

I'd have thought the families of the dead Argentinians might have queried their whereabouts before May 1982. And I'd have expected the British veterans to have mentioned having killed 100 Argentinians. Why 'drop' napalm, surely you'd just stack the bodies and douse them in petrol? Or load them onto one of the empty supply ships returning to Argentina and drop them into the sea, leaving no evidence.

The story has more holes than a very holey thing.

I'd have thought the families of the dead Argentinians might have queried their whereabouts before May 1982. And I'd have expected the British veterans to have mentioned having killed 100 Argentinians. Why 'drop' napalm, surely you'd just stack the bodies and douse them in petrol? Or load them onto one of the empty supply ships returning to Argentina and drop them into the sea, leaving no evidence.

In line with Argentine customs of the time, we could just fling them out the back of a Hercules over the Atlantic...

syrup

LE

Or claim the nasty British dropped the napalm on them.

Slime

LE
Im sure this story has an element of fact to it.
A bloke down the pub said he'd heard that the argies dropped dead bodies from a C130 onto the flames to douse napalm fires !

;)

Latest Threads