Did anyone just watch Frontline Battle Machines?

on the Discovery Channel? Must say, it looked rather scary but at the same time rather inspiring ... most definitely get a buzz from that.

It's came on TV at a weird time, too - as I'm soon due to submit my application.

(For those that didn't, the presenter Mike Brewer joined the RAF in a Chinook on a rescue operation to save 5 American and Afghan Troops who got shot ... 1 died .. and they came under heavy fire and the pilot, literally, got shot in the face and was still able to fly it back... you saw and heard it all. It was the oldest Chinook in the fleet (1960) and delivered the very first soldiers in Iraq back in 2001. To say it was old and battered would be an understatement.)

S'not a snatch 'tis a vixen.

Not much difference, both give about as much protection as a chocolate fireguard.
Which is fortunate it was being used by RAF Regt, because that's about as much bother as they are likely to be in.

I was taking the urine S-T-B-C.
I have worked with some top notch RAF Regt, every forum turns into a slating. They have done a belting job in Kandahar securing the mortor base plate area's. Attacks will always happen, but the EF have been forced to fire from further a field.

on the Discovery Channel? Must say, it looked rather scary but at the same time rather inspiring ... most definitely get a buzz from that.

It's came on TV at a weird time, too - as I'm soon due to submit my application.

(For those that didn't, the presenter Mike Brewer joined the RAF in a Chinook on a rescue operation to save 5 American and Afghan Troops who got shot ... 1 died .. and they came under heavy fire and the pilot, literally, got shot in the face and was still able to fly it back... you saw and heard it all. It was the oldest Chinook in the fleet (1960) and delivered the very first soldiers in Iraq back in 2001. To say it was old and battered would be an understatement.)
Do your research crowbag

S

stickmonkey

@ Sergeanttobe:

1960? We didn't buy the CH47 until just before Op CORPORATE, you monkey. In addition, the entire Mk1 fleet was re-engineered and zero-lifed (as new!) in the early 1990s when they became Mk2's.....

So, BN (The Survivor) having survived many different operations, is not at all 'old and battered'. And Chopper was shot in the helmet and not the face.

So, in sum, some accurate reporting in your post mate!

Didn't the pilot get a DFC? Or some such like.

I was taking the urine S-T-B-C.
I have worked with some top notch RAF Regt, every forum turns into a slating. They have done a belting job in Kandahar securing the mortor base plate area's. Attacks will always happen, but the EF have been forced to fire from further a field.
Apologies if you think I was attempting a slur on the crabs, I too have worked with some excellent airmen, just trying to say they're not what they believe themselves to be.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
That was a repeat, the next one is on at monday at 10pm

@ Sergeanttobe:

1960? We didn't buy the CH47 until just before Op CORPORATE, you monkey. In addition, the entire Mk1 fleet was re-engineered and zero-lifed (as new!) in the early 1990s when they became Mk2's.....

So, BN (The Survivor) having survived many different operations, is not at all 'old and battered'. And Chopper was shot in the helmet and not the face.

So, in sum, some accurate reporting in your post mate!
I'm only repeating what Mike said ... watch it and you'll see.

I thought it was rather good, Coming from someone who is waiting to join ;)

It was a tad scary when all the injured guys came aboard, But at the same time re-assured me that if Carlsberg did armys, it would be the british army!
Although I thought the presenter didnt talk to many of the guys?

I flew a few times in a Chinook in 1976/77. They were American aircraft because the RAF didn't have them in those days as someone has noted earlier in this thread. It was familiarisation training while we were trialing Milan. It seemed a little weird running towards the back of the aircraft because obviously, everything the British Army and the RAF had in them days had a bloody big tail rotor at the rear which you kept well away from.

Just watched this programme for the first time. I was working in the ED at Bastion when this young Flight Lieutenant came in. Had no idea a film crew had been on board at the time. His Flight Helmet was a mess but he was in great spirits. a very lucky guy as his name suggests.

Latest Threads